PDA

View Full Version : I just gotta say!!!

92coupe
07-15-2007, 09:07 PM
This mother loving mustang is a pain in the ass to work on now, Long tubes and that friggin sfi blow proof bell housing they can both kiss my ass. I spent all friggin day just getting this thing apart found the spec 3 clutch disk welded to the flywheel.

That's kinda what i was expecting since yesterday i launched a good 1.64 60ft went to grab 2nd and it would go into gear.Made it to the end of the track shut it off started it in gear took off but clutch would not disengage.

Don Godfrey was nice enuff to haul it home for me we pushed it in the garage and went back to Tristate for some tnt and just enjoying good friends.

Oh well i'll get another clutch set up put it all back together and do it all again. :)

bobtsgt
07-15-2007, 09:23 PM
sucks to hear Brian. It could have been much worse though.

331TwistedWedge
07-15-2007, 09:42 PM
get a ram 9000 series ... 2 years of launching 1.5x's and not one issue ...

5.0calypso93lx
07-15-2007, 09:47 PM
What clutch are you going with?

Black Horse
07-15-2007, 09:52 PM
At least you found your problem and all-in-all it's minor. Be sure to check your plate to clutch clearance when returned, you may have to back your adjustment out. You might also want to check to be sure the fork isn't hitting on your aftermarket housing keeping it from letting the clutch fully retract. I don't know what Craig sells, the SPEC3 like yours shouldn't do what it did unless there was a LOT of slippage/heat/etc. QuarterMaster makes one heck of a clutch too.

92coupe
07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
What clutch are you going with?

I'm not sure yet, I asked Craig to get me some prices on some good brand heavy duty clutch kits.

I may get a new flywheel while i'm at it.

92coupe
07-15-2007, 09:55 PM
At least you found your problem and all-in-all it's minor. Be sure to check your plate to clutch clearance when returned, you may have to back your adjustment out. You might also want to check to be sure the fork isn't hitting on your aftermarket housing keeping it from letting the clutch fully retract. I don't know what Craig sells, the SPEC3 like yours shouldn't do what it did unless there was a LOT of slippage/heat/etc. QuarterMaster makes one heck of a clutch too.

I think with the kind of power this thing makes plus the kool aid, I'm not gonna skimp on a clutch. Especially since you have to pull the long tubes off to remove the bellhousing. :rolleyes:

93cobra
07-15-2007, 10:28 PM
sucks to hear that!...launch that thing higher...you should be in the 1.50's are you leaving at least 5000-5200??

92coupe
07-15-2007, 10:58 PM
sucks to hear that!...launch that thing higher...you should be in the 1.50's are you leaving at least 5000-5200??

I launched at 5000 It was the first time with new MT ET Drags.

I'm sure i can get the 60' down with some practice.

PonymanfiveO
07-16-2007, 12:35 AM
I can only speak from my experiences, but Id make that my last SPEC if I were you. Get ya a Ram, they are bad ass.

Glad to hear you got it home ok. I was waiting for you to get back with me with a trailer and I would have got it home for you.

mustangboy
07-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Well that sucks. I'm with you on the long tubes. Try a big block w/ lt's. I spent over an hour tonight trying to get 3 bolts started.:HYF: I think it is time for header studs. Good luck getting it fixed.

92coupe
07-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Yaaah i finally got the whole thing apart i hate loctite the flywheels bolts had some serious loctite on them it took an act of congress and some serious muscle to get them bastards off. Now i can take it to the mahine shop i tried a 1/2 and 3/4 impact and they wouldnt break loose. I finally wedged the flywheel with a prybar amd used a 1/2 drive 24 in ratchet and pulled them with my feet against the friggin car. What a night, Glad that fugger is off.

ibstrokin
07-18-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm with you on the blowproof, longtubes or shorty's are a pain in the ass. But on the flip side, a buddy of mine had a clutch explode on him a couple of years ago, two weeks after he put in a blowproof. Money and hassle well spent, Blowproofs suck, walking kicks ass though.

92coupe
07-18-2007, 09:22 PM
I definetly agree with you on that Brian, When the clutch explodes it's nice to walk away.

On a personal note the Cracka really hooked me up with this combo after i seen the flywheel sfi 1.1 bellhousing, balancer sfi. i got a Smokin deal on this set up And i thank him!!! Now to get it back together and run some 10's