PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Jacks

5.0calypso93lx
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I can't even begin to tell you how pissed I am right now.

I was already dreading pulling my trans out tonight, and I go out to the garage right after I get off work and start to jack the car up. That was the point where I realized that the car wasn't lifting at all. WTF?

I pull the jack out, pump it up a few times, stand on it with my massive 210lb body weight, and what do you know the jack starts to fall..:mad::mad::mad:

Did I mention I haven't even had this jack for TWO MONTHS!!!!

So now I have two non-working jacks sitting in my garage. I'm going to try and shoot some jack hydrualic fluid in it tomorrow, and see if I can get it working again. Still, there is no way in hell I should have to do this after two months, and MAYBE used it 5 times.

CRAFTSMAN JACKS AREN'T WORTH A HAIR ON MY DODUS!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

92coupe
07-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Take it back sears, We have two of the yellow and black 3 ton jacks and havent had any problems with them. One i have had for 4 years or better and i have used the hell out of it.

Paul408Notch
07-17-2007, 07:56 PM
A guy on the AZ Mustangs board just posted about this EXACT same thing.

5.0calypso93lx
07-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Take it back sears, We have two of the yellow and black 3 ton jacks and havent had any problems with them. One i have had for 4 years or better and i have used the hell out of it.

I have the most expensive yellow and black one also sitting in my garage taking up a bunch of space, because it too, is a worthless piece of crap.

I tried to take it back, and I cannot find my receipt anywhere. I went in and asked for the manager and he told my I can't validate my 1 year warranty without a receipt.

craigels
07-17-2007, 08:32 PM
I have a yellow and black 4 ton jack that I got for Christmas 06. I don't use it everyday, but its used every week or so. The tag onb the jack when I got it said that it might need to purge some air from the oil because of something during shipping. It took many times of use before the air got out of it. It works great now...

I'm sure there is something on Craftmans site or elsewhere that will tell you how to purge it.

Craig

Foxxx5oh
07-17-2007, 08:41 PM
^^ i had to do that to my cheap ass 2 ton pep boys special...if i can find the instructions ill post em up, it cant be too far off from yours...

BigBadStang
07-17-2007, 09:17 PM
did sears warranty out the last one that broke?
i hope they didnt make you pay for another pos jack.
as i said in the other thread, buy a good one, and never look back!

5.0calypso93lx
07-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I have a yellow and black 4 ton jack that I got for Christmas 06. I don't use it everyday, but its used every week or so. The tag onb the jack when I got it said that it might need to purge some air from the oil because of something during shipping. It took many times of use before the air got out of it. It works great now...

I'm sure there is something on Craftmans site or elsewhere that will tell you how to purge it.

Craig

I'm not sure if it needs purged, or if it needs jack hydraulic fluid added. I remember after the very first time I used it, I saw a little puddle of fluid coming out of the back of the jack. I should have taken it back right then and there....:HYF:

93cobra
07-17-2007, 09:57 PM
i have one of the sears aluminum jacks...use it at least a few times a week since 04-05...works fine!

5.0calypso93lx
07-17-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm also comparing my jack to my dads snap on jack. That thing has been perfect since day one. And once the face of the jack makes contact, it still lifts just like if there were no load on it unlike the craftsman, where it shoots up really fast, then takes forever once it gets a load on it.

Paul408Notch
07-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I have a really nice aluminum jack I got from Costco for $100 that I had a similar problem with. It was really hard to lift, and wouldn't stay up. I read the instructions, and followed the steps to purge the air from the oil, and it's worked flawlessly since. Just required that I purchase some jack oil from sears. It's the only jack I've bought that I can get under the k-member without jacking the side of the car up first.

5.0calypso93lx
07-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I have a really nice aluminum jack I got from Costco for $100 that I had a similar problem with. It was really hard to lift, and wouldn't stay up. I read the instructions, and followed the steps to purge the air from the oil, and it's worked flawlessly since. Just required that I purchase some jack oil from sears. It's the only jack I've bought that I can get under the k-member without jacking the side of the car up first.

I still have my manual, so I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I'll agree with you though, I do love how slim the jack is, I can even get it underneath my g/f's civic thats slammed on its nuts.

Paul408Notch
07-17-2007, 11:37 PM
I think the procedure for mine was to lift it to the top, pump 3-5 more pumps, lower it to the ground, slowly open the fill hole, put oil in til it's full, close the plug, and repeat until it can't take anymore oil.

Black Hole
07-18-2007, 08:43 AM
This is why I just bought the 3 ton jack from Harbor Freight. Only $60 and it should do the job for amount of use that I put it through.

I've had two smaller CHEAP jacks that have done me fine for the past 4 or 5 years without any problem. :dunno:

Carl
07-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I love my Craftsman Pro series jack, had it since 04 and it just now is starting act up on me. I can complain, I lift more than what its rated for anyway...
Paul, are those the instructions? Cause I think I need to top mine off too.

chuck
07-18-2007, 11:10 AM
I got one of those "roush racing" jacks for xmas...hybrid..? half aluminum and half steel...and it worked half the time and the last time i used it, i jacked my car up and it would not release(lower)....tried everything...jacked the car up even more and still would not release to lower the car back down....had to borrow my neighbors jack to get my jack out from under the car...lol now its sits in the corner...looks cool though.:rolleyes:

5.0calypso93lx
07-18-2007, 11:12 AM
My girlfriend is awesome, she called today and chewed the manager a new one. They're gonna exchange it :lol::lol:

chuck
07-18-2007, 11:18 AM
My girlfriend is awesome, she called today and chewed the manager a new one. They're gonna exchange it :lol::lol:

cool:bigthumb

Paul408Notch
07-18-2007, 12:42 PM
I love my Craftsman Pro series jack, had it since 04 and it just now is starting act up on me. I can complain, I lift more than what its rated for anyway...
Paul, are those the instructions? Cause I think I need to top mine off too.

Pretty sure that's how they said to do it. It's already 104 degrees out right now, so I don't plan on going out ot the garage to look for the instructions. :lol:

mustangrfast88
07-18-2007, 01:02 PM
are you buying the cheap little jacks or are they the big jacks craftsman makes i am looking at buying one soon so i can get my car higher

5.0calypso93lx
07-18-2007, 01:41 PM
are you buying the cheap little jacks or are they the big jacks craftsman makes i am looking at buying one soon so i can get my car higher

The one I have is the smaller of the two available aluminum jacks. I also have the biggest, baddest black and yellow jack in my garage that is paper weight.

ascCapri
07-18-2007, 07:27 PM
The one I have is the smaller of the two available aluminum jacks. I also have the biggest, baddest black and yellow jack in my garage that is paper weight.

I too own the biggest baddest black and yellow, which is also a paperweight. I then bought the same smaller aluminum when it was on sale recently.......my only complaint is that the handle sits too high in the down position. That old black one would lay flat....this one sits up so high, I can't lower either my Capri or Truck without ramps under the front tires.....

92coupe
07-18-2007, 08:33 PM
You guys must not know how to use the big bad black and yellow jacks. Lol!!

I have had mine for at least 5 yrs without any problems.

fst 5pto
07-18-2007, 08:35 PM
James is just cursed when it comes to jacks.... im debating on if I should let him use mone or not? He may pass the curse onto me....

5.0calypso93lx
07-18-2007, 09:43 PM
James is just cursed when it comes to jacks.... im debating on if I should let him use mone or not? He may pass the curse onto me....

Don't worry, those bastards gave me a brand new one tonight, finally. I guess it just took somebody who knew how to work a computer, unlike the general manager Patrick....

Carl
07-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Pretty sure that's how they said to do it. It's already 104 degrees out right now, so I don't plan on going out ot the garage to look for the instructions. :lol:

Pansy, I work outside in 90+* with at least 70% humidity.....tomorrow is supposed to be triple digits without humity...:rolleyes:

Paul408Notch
07-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Pansy, I work outside in 90+* with at least 70% humidity.....tomorrow is supposed to be triple digits without humity...:rolleyes:

Yeah, but you get paid for that. Nobody pays me to go out into my furnace.

PonymanfiveO
07-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Id rather work outside than inside with 4 ginormous f-in warmers.

am I starting to post like Mista?

...oh shit.

Carl
07-19-2007, 02:28 AM
Yeah, but you get paid for that. Nobody pays me to go out into my furnace.
Ok, I'll give ya that one...but that's it. No more.

Id rather work outside than inside with 4 ginormous f-in warmers.

am I starting to post like Mista?

...oh shit.

Yes you are...I feel my IQ dropping already..:HYF:

PonymanfiveO
07-19-2007, 02:32 AM
did I mention that my Honda is tits!

Carl
07-19-2007, 02:58 AM
I think you need to admit yourself...now you REALLY sound like him...