PDA

View Full Version : Air care

'92Stang
07-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Had some friends over monday night. A guy, and his girlfriend were following me and my buddy on my property. They were riding a polaris sportman mv7 (weighs over 1,000 pds. I was driving my samarui making a new hill climb. Didn't really expect anyone to try and follow us up the hill. After climbing to the top we heard screaming from the creek below. The girl is still in the hospital with a lacerated spleen, liver, and her small intestine. Her boyfriend was released this afternoon. He'd severed his artery at the elbow, i had to put a tourniquet on his arm using my belt. Thank god the emt's were here within a few minutes. Air care was there soonafter.

http://www.local12.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=577ec772-19a7-455f-bec1-b9669033231d

Timido
07-17-2007, 10:30 PM
wow that sucks. Hopefully the care they recieved that quick will help them make a full recovery.

PaulFiveOh
07-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Strange.

My buddy hit me head on that same day. He was on a little 80 winding out 5th and hit my "off roading" tbird head on.

Had to be life squaded out of the trails. Compoundly broke both his arm bones.

Should of been dead, no helmet going like 60mph in to a fucking car which was going 5mph. but still....a fucking car.

DeckerEnt
07-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Monday must have been a bad day for a few of us. Hopefully Tuesday is better and wednsday is looking better still.
Keith

Gene
07-17-2007, 11:27 PM
That's why I don't ride ATVs. Fuck that. You don't get pinned under a dirt bike.

'92Stang
07-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Yep, I ride both;) It really just comes down to knowing your limitations. If your gonna climb a hill it should be on a sport quad (400 #'s or less). Utility quads are useful in the mud, hunting, hauling stuff. I damn sure don't want 800 # plus quad chasing me down a hill.

PonymanfiveO
07-17-2007, 11:46 PM
scary shit. hope the girl is ok.

dedpedal
07-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Hope theyre ok. I saw a thing on TV where the host of the show rolled a heavy ATV a few times. It wasnt pretty.

Carl
07-17-2007, 11:54 PM
That is why I ride a dirt bike too, I am not that lucky...

Black Horse
07-18-2007, 06:20 AM
I hope everyone comes out of all of this OK.

My #1 rule of ATV/dirtbike/motorcycle riding - never ride anything heavier than you can lift off of yourself!

bobtsgt
07-18-2007, 07:53 AM
jeez guys. next time you guys need to be alittle more careful. Hope the girl pulls through.

JonS
07-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Hope everyone comes out of it alright. I don't like the utility four wheelers much either that is a lot of weight to be coming down on a person

'92Stang
07-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Here's a couple pictures of the quad that rolled. I fixed the handlebars so we could ride it out of the woods. Only thing damaged was the handlebars, steering stem, and the gauge cluster( the glass from the cluster is what cut the guys arm). The pictures don't really reveal how big this thing is, freakin' huge!

'92Stang
07-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Here's some of the hill they rolled down. Not really that steep of hill, except coming out of the creek. Shouldn't have been riding double on a utility, hillclimbing.

REDHOTGTGIRL
07-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Wow, that's crazy! I sure hope everyone recovers quickly. Hopefully everyone will be a little safer next time.

Dirtyd0g
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
I like riding ATV's as well. I learned at a young age riding double over any rough terrain sucks. With the exception of putting around the yard withthe kids I prefer to ride alone. I got chucked off the back of one when I was about 10. It sucked. I can't say I have a preference to ATV's or dirt bikes but being a small guy I always prefer to ride small machines. Something I can stand back up if it falls over. I hope everyone is ok.
Alan

ffmueller81
07-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Wow, hope everyone makes a quick recovery. Hope they had insurance for the $12,000 helicopter ride.

Last year I had to drive my buddy to the ER for his cracked sternum.

Utility quads are soooo much more dangerous than sport quads due to thier wieght. After saying that, I have rolled my sport quad many times and have barley avoided serious injury each time.

'92Stang
07-18-2007, 04:18 PM
The guy (Joe) got released the following afternoon. He had a 5" glass shard go through his forearm, and exit behind his elbow. He had a lot of blood loss until we were able to get to him, and tie off a tourniquet. Amazingly enough he cut his artery, but avoided cutting his muscle by centimeters. His girlfriend (Brittinay) is still @ U.C.. Her lacerated liver, and spleen have been fixed without surgery:confused: The swelling in her small intestines has minimized, and the doctors anticipate releasing her thursday:bigthumb Apparently Joe told Britt to climb off the back, before attempting to climb the hill. She refused, so away they went......in air care:HYF:

MrsAPE
07-18-2007, 04:23 PM
wow. that's scary. glad they are on the mend.

MRGRIMM
07-18-2007, 09:15 PM
That's why I don't ride ATVs. Fuck that. You don't get pinned under a dirt bike.

I have been injured far worse on dirtbikes than any quad, maybe because the 93 yz250 I had made me feel unstopable, but acl/mcl/meniscus/cartilage surgery from a wreck steered me away from the hardcore bikes a little...I was actually thinking of a big 4x4 quad as my next toy...actually seems safer to me?

MRGRIMM
07-18-2007, 09:16 PM
...glad they are all well though!