PDA

View Full Version : before assembly I need to know...

MRGRIMM
07-17-2007, 11:40 PM
What is up here? Should I worry about either of these two imperfections I can notice eyeballing this shortblock? That casting crap looks like it could potentially be bad news if if were to flake off or something, and all the other main cap nuts/studs look fine but the one here is different...any advice would be nice.

Paul408Notch
07-18-2007, 02:37 AM
I can't really see the casting stuff very well in that pic. I guess you could just knock it off with a die grinder or something before you put it back together.

Isn't the long stud supposed to be the one the oil pump pickup bolts to?

theyallslow
07-18-2007, 06:25 AM
yes you need the longer stud for the oil pump, the casting is fine, did you have the bolck cleaned before you started to put it to gether? a good mech. shop will look at that and tell you what you can do. but if you want like paul said you can polish the casting to help add strength and better oiling to the block.

MRGRIMM
07-18-2007, 09:08 AM
...hmmm yes the oil pump p/u! Which I have not bought my new oil pump yet so have nothing to go off of for now...ok well I guess I just got the "first motor jitters"! Yes the block was machined and cleaned then assembled by the place, at the time I didn't feel comfortable doing the work to the bottom end myself, but have been studying a lot the last few months and have decided to assemble my top end here at home...I'll keep you all posted, thanks

theyallslow
07-18-2007, 09:31 AM
good luck with that.

somedude56
07-18-2007, 10:12 PM
good luck with that.

:confused: Doing valves/springs/retainers isnt a very hard as long as you have a good spring compressor and can keep track of small parts.

MRGRIMM
07-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Yea i couldn't tell if that was sarcastic or not...never done it before, but with online access, books, and proper tools it has been true for me that lots can be accomplished with some patience and persistence. (by the way the heads are already assembled with rocker studs guideplates and all...all I basically have to do is check pushrod length and some clearances, get more hardware and finish bolting it up...)

Paul408Notch
07-19-2007, 01:19 AM
I put my heads together myself. It wasn't too bad, but I had access to a really badass spring compressor and all the tools needed for it. Not sure how easy it would be without those.

theyallslow
07-19-2007, 05:59 AM
sorry, it was not sarcastic. i was just wishing you good luck. if you take your time and think you will do fine.

somedude56
07-19-2007, 01:58 PM
I put my heads together myself. It wasn't too bad, but I had access to a really badass spring compressor and all the tools needed for it. Not sure how easy it would be without those.

Im just now getting into mustangs (im 18) and my first car was a crx but I did an engine swap on it at the age of 16 (ive now seen the light plz dont flame) BUT the car is a completely stock exterior witha DOHC vtec engine in it and no loud ass exhaust. I still plan to keep it as my beater (hey its a 14 second car and gets 30 mpg and 8000 rpms is still fun) when I get a stang. BUT I have torn apart honda sohc heads with my 15 dollar craftsman valve spring compressor and reassembled just for shits and giggles and its really not to bad, with the right compressor it would be cake but the retainers are still a bitch. Im sure stang heads cant be THAT much different. But yea I couldnt tell if that was sarcastic or not either but :bigthumb.