PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem...

Rich
07-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Ok, I am having a strange problem with my car and I can't seem to figure it out. First here is what the car is...

92 LX...original 4 cyl. car
2000 explorer 5.0 with factory mustang cam
explorer intake
AOD trans.
A9P computer, 93 wiring harness

The car starts up and idles fine when it's cold, after it has sat all night. It will run and idle for hours if I wanted it to. BUT, if I shut it off and then try to restart it...I get nothing. It will just crank and crank and not "hit" at all. It is getting no spark at the plugs.

The coil is giving spark to the distributor. I have tried 3 different ignition modules and 2 different distributors. It is definitely heat related, as I said when the car is cold, it runs fine.

Any clues?

Foxxx5oh
07-23-2007, 03:07 PM
are you getting fuel?

Rich
07-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Yes...getting fuel

Foxxx5oh
07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
how about the crank or cam position sensor? my 89 was quirky like that at times

RACEME
07-23-2007, 03:43 PM
there is no crank of cam postiton sensor..it is a 302.

Foxxx5oh
07-23-2007, 03:57 PM
i feel dumb now...im gonna go lurk the 2.3 section...lol

zlou363lx
07-23-2007, 10:55 PM
is it cranking as hard as it does when it is cold?

Paul408Notch
07-24-2007, 12:03 AM
How good is your ground from the block to the frame?

Rich
07-24-2007, 12:11 AM
is it cranking as hard as it does when it is cold?

Yes, cranks very well.

Rich
07-24-2007, 12:12 AM
How good is your ground from the block to the frame?

I've checked both grounds and they seem good. I will unloosen them and make sure they are making good contact.

Paul408Notch
07-24-2007, 01:03 AM
I've checked both grounds and they seem good. I will unloosen them and make sure they are making good contact.

Well if the coil is firing, I don't see how it's not getting to the plugs. The only things between the coil and plugs obviously are the wires and cap/rotor. Either the coil is firing really weakly, you have bad wires/cap/rotor, or the ground path is bad. I can't see what else it could possibly be.

Rich
07-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Well if the coil is firing, I don't see how it's not getting to the plugs. The only things between the coil and plugs obviously are the wires and cap/rotor. Either the coil is firing really weakly, you have bad wires/cap/rotor, or the ground path is bad. I can't see what else it could possibly be.

I even had a neighbor come over today to verify that the coil was firing. After that was verified, I pluged the coil wire back up to the dist and them removed a spark plug wire and got no spark from it while cranking it over. The wires, cap/rotor are brand new. I'm going to try and swap out the coil tomorrow and see what it does?

I really have no clue what is going on...:confused:

Paul408Notch
07-24-2007, 01:46 AM
So did you try cranking it with a wire still attached to a plug with the plug on a grounded surface?

Rich
07-24-2007, 01:48 AM
No, I did the ole screw driver stuck in the boot and then grounding it. I did that to the coil wire and got spark that way but nothing out of the spark plug wire.

Paul408Notch
07-24-2007, 02:52 AM
No, I did the ole screw driver stuck in the boot and then grounding it. I did that to the coil wire and got spark that way but nothing out of the spark plug wire.

Well I guess the coil is the next step. I'll be really interested in knowing what the heck the problem is.

dedpedal
07-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Rich, just for shits and giggles, the next time you mess with it and it wont start, pull the relay for the fuel pump and crank it. Mine had a very similar sounding problem that stumped me for days. It turned out to be the ecu.

Rich
07-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Kevin,

I sent you a pm...

Rich
07-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Ok, some progress...

Based on Dedpedals advice, here is what I figured out..

Went out and started the car, had been sitting since yesterday. It fired right up. I let it run for about 2 minutes. I then shut it off and immediately tried to restart it...nothing, just crank and crank.

I then unplugged the fuel pump relay and tried to start it. It cranked and then fired up for about 1 to 2 seconds and died. I then plugged the relay back up and tried to start it. It fired right up and ran until I shut it off. Then it happens again...won't start untill I unplug the fuel pump relay, try to start it, and then plug the relay back up.

I even jumped the fuel pump relay and the same thing. I think it might be a ecu on the fritz...opinions?

Paul408Notch
07-25-2007, 05:41 PM
So there's fuel pressure every time you start/try to start it?

Rich
07-26-2007, 12:16 AM
yes there is fuel pressure. I even jumped the relay and had the pump running independent of the ecu and it is doing the same thing. I'm going to try a ecu from a friend this weekend and see what it does.

dedpedal
07-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Remember to check the harness for the vss and neutral/backup lights for and pinched wires.

Rich
07-26-2007, 05:39 PM
It seems to be fixed... I swapped out the ecm with a donor one and it is firing right up everytime. Now I need to fix all the leaks this thing has...it's leaking brake fluid and tranny fluid. Ah...the little things!

Thanks guys for the help...Kevin, you and I are going to put a hurting on the 30 pack of Stones that I owe you for all of your help!

dedpedal
07-26-2007, 06:06 PM
It seems to be fixed... I swapped out the ecm with a donor one and it is firing right up everytime. Now I need to fix all the leaks this thing has...it's leaking brake fluid and tranny fluid. Ah...the little things!

Thanks guys for the help...Kevin, you and I are going to put a hurting on the 30 pack of Stones that I owe you for all of your help!

Glad to be of help Rich.
Im the original "Will work for Beer" guy