PDA

View Full Version : lift bars

Steves LX
07-24-2007, 10:36 AM
I am looking at putting a set of lift bars on my car. Are there any adverse effects of doing this with 4cyl springs?

Jeff88coupe
07-24-2007, 12:48 PM
No...they should work ok with 4 cyl springs...but they may effect your ride height since they lower the lower spring perch.

Steves LX
07-24-2007, 12:57 PM
O.K. with that being the case am I going to be better off with the stock springs that I have in there right now or should I use the 4 CYL springs? I have 4CYL springs up front right now and I have stock ones in the rear. My best 60ft right now is a 1.80 on DR's. I was told to put 4Cyl springs in the rear also and that will help tremendously on my 60ft's. Right now I have stock upper and lower control arms. So I have a set of lift bars that I can get for 50.00 and replace my LCA with those. I just want to make sure that I am takeing a step forward and not backwards. I also dont want the ride height to be all stupid, such as the rear sitting lower than the front. I do use this more on the street than I do at the track.

Jeff88coupe
07-24-2007, 01:21 PM
4 cyl springs in front and V8 springs in the rear are just fine...poor man's drag spring setup. I don't think you will gain anything by swapping the rear springs to 4cyl ones. The lift bars should help your 60's on dr's. You may want to think about getting a set of adjustable upper control arms so you can set your pinion angle correctly.

Steves LX
07-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Bare with me here for I am new with all this but how will I know if I have the correct pinion angle?

bobtsgt
07-24-2007, 02:22 PM
you take a angle finder, place it under the driveshaft on the flat side and write the angle down, then place the finder on the pinion flange and write down the angle. I think you subtract the 2 angles and that gives you your correct angle. There use to be a web site that explained everything with pictures but I can't find it. I'm sure someone can verify what I wrote or correct me.

dedpedal
07-24-2007, 07:15 PM
If its a street car most of the time, I would lean away from any solid links in the susp. Poly will tighten it up plenty for you.

Timido
07-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Replace one thing at a time to make sure it helps or hurts. You might try the lift bars then later on change the springs

ibstrokin
07-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Are you talking about southside's or traction bars? Traction bars are a pain in the ass on the street. If southsides, I've always been told they rip torque boxes. no big deal if you weld up your torque boxes, or do battle boxes, or the weld in plates. An ounce of prvention is worth a pound of cure. If interested I'll sell you my mega-bite jr's for$150 (they have new bushings). I think I'm going to switch to anti-roll bar, so I'll need to go to solid lowers.

Steves LX
07-25-2007, 08:57 AM
These have no name on them. They are black with yellow bushings. And yes I will be using this on the street also. I started on the one side last night and have the control arm bolted up on the torque box side. I noticed the bracket that goes on where the control arm bolts up back by the shock has a couple of differn't places you can mount the other end of the control arm at to put it in a differn't angle. This bracket I am reffering to is the same bracket that also clamps around the axle. It appears as if the previous owner of these had his one end of the control arm mounted in both of the spots at one time or another. If I choose to mount it at the bottom hol it puts the angle of the control arm a couple of inches below its original spot. My only other option is right above that about an inch maybe. I am not sure which one to use so any help would be appreciated. Also does the plate thats welded on each of these cotrol arms for the sway bar go towards the outside of the vehicle or the inside?

Jeff88coupe
07-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I think you have a set of lakewood traction action lift bars. Depedal and I both run these on our cars. I do believe you install them so the sway bar brackets are toward the inside of the car...I need to look at mine to make sure. I would also mount them in the lowest adjustment hole...that will give you the most "lift" when launching...good think for running a 26" dr at the track. Really helps the axle drive the tire into the track.

bobtsgt
07-25-2007, 01:00 PM
found the site. has some great info on it

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/

Steves LX
07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
I went to summit racing's website and it appears if that is correct. They look identical to the lakewoods. They have a instructional download there and it says the stabilizer attachment faces toward the outside. It appears as if I am missing the grease fittings for these. Any ideas on what size fittings I need.

ibstrokin
07-25-2007, 05:55 PM
If those are like hpm mega-bite jr's, the lower hole does provide more traction, but will also lower the car, unless you use spacers. I did that on my mega bites, the tire was rubbing the wheel well, so I moved it back. That reminds me, I need to get some spacers.

Jeff88coupe
07-25-2007, 06:10 PM
I don't think my set came with any grease fittings either....I just found some standard zerk fittings that fit. Yes..with the bars in the lower holes it will lower the rear of the car some if you don't use the rubber/plastic spacers on the mount.