PDA

View Full Version : Our Country OWES these Vets EVERYTHING!

Katmandu
07-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Injured Iraq war vets sue VA over delays

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/07/23/veterans.lawsuit.ap/index.html?iref=newssearch

As an employee of the Veteran's Administration myself, I can personally say the Government has a LONG way to go to getting better care to our Vets. :(

Mista Bone
07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
like the "war" we are fighting now, seems the VA hasn't changed much in 30+ years.

The big difference is the rehab and prosthetis available now to help get back to a somewhat normal life.

Since IMHO we are fighting to protect the oil supply over there, why not make the oil companies use some of those record profits towards the soldiers that have been injured.

They deserve 100x better care and treatment.

Katmandu
07-25-2007, 03:28 PM
like the "war" we are fighting now, seems the VA hasn't changed much in 30+ years.IMHO, the VA is stuck with the 1960s style of management. Very much like the Post Office is/was (20) years ago. There is absolutely ZERO leadership training given to front line Supervisors and there is basically ZERO accountability for anything Supervisors/Managers do with their funds or their people. It's despicable what goes on. :mad:

One example is my direct Supervisor has been "allowed" to abuse the Overtime to a tune of approximately $15,000 over the past year! I've been told she has been doing this for YEARS! (She is a GS-11 BTW) My co-workers and I have determined that rakes in roughly $120,000/year by being allowed to abuse the Overtime/Comp Time! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Since IMHO we are fighting to protect the oil supply over there, why not make the oil companies use some of those record profits towards the soldiers that have been injured.

They deserve 100x better care and treatment.I couldn't agree more Mista Bone. The oil companies are enjoying record profits while our Service members continue to get slaughtered.

It's the military families that are the one's that are sacrificing/suffering the most from all this.

BlazinEagle
07-25-2007, 03:31 PM
My grandfather fought in WWII and was shot in the stomach. He sat in a German Hospital for 3 months and the military "forgot" about him. He found his own way home. About 10 years ago they went to apologize to him and he said pay him off. He told them to take a flying leap off a steep cliff. I believe that we cannot do enough for our veterans.

Mista Bone
07-25-2007, 10:51 PM
You know, I can accept the higher gas prices now (I don't like it!) and know the oil companys refuse to build new refineries due to EPA regulations.

Take that money and build new VA hospitals and hire/train new staff to care for our soldiers. Then if the demand drops off, those that have been trained can go work in the private sector which BADLY needs nurses and other qualified people.

I'm sorry, I'm not very happy with the government right now.

I didn't vote for Kerry or Bush, I knew either was gonna be a screw-up......dunno if Hilter Clinton or Obama will be better.

Katmandu
07-25-2007, 11:56 PM
You know, I can accept the higher gas prices now (I don't like it!) and know the oil companys refuse to build new refineries due to EPA regulations.

Take that money and build new VA hospitals and hire/train new staff to care for our soldiers. Then if the demand drops off, those that have been trained can go work in the private sector which BADLY needs nurses and other qualified people.
That's a start.

My shop in the VA has been chronically short-manned since I've been there (2003).

IMHO, the biggest problem with the VA is lack of accountability up and down the chain. The 2nd biggest problem is lack of Supervisory training. If those 2 issues were seriously addressed, you would see the back log of Vets awaiting care shrink rapidly.

Right now, there is a Ho-Hum kinda attitude that is manifested throughout the VA. 180 degrees different than the world I lived in (USAF) for (20) years. :eek:

Mista Bone
07-26-2007, 03:05 AM
I heard on the radio on one of the talk stations, some kind of major delay getting a serviceperson's medical records from the military to the VA.

Myself I regret not joining the service, but I have a "perfect" 18 yo son.

Another point, if the next president gets the country turned around, it will take two terms to even get anything done. I'm not Democratic or Republican but the budget was better with Clinton in office. I try to stay out of politics.....but lil Bush has screwed it up.

Foxxx5oh
07-26-2007, 03:11 AM
yeah im entitled to disability from the VA for injuries sustained in airborne school...but when i found out that it would take forever to get my records to the VA i said fuck it...i can still use my body, just not as well...why wait when i can work

Katmandu
07-26-2007, 12:56 PM
yeah im entitled to disability from the VA for injuries sustained in airborne school...but when i found out that it would take forever to get my records to the VA i said fuck it...i can still use my body, just not as well...why wait when i can workDude. I highly recommend you STILL do it!

You may very well need these benefits when you get older. It's real easy to say you don't need it now when your young and realitively healthy. But we ALL get old. Plus there are tax benefits for your VA Disability as well. Many many benefits are available for Disabled (regardless of the Percentage) Vets!! I seriously recommend you follow thru and apply for them! You'll regret it if you don't.

Now, as for your Military medical records reaching the VA.... COPY THEM and HAND CARRY THEM to the VA!!

That's what I was told to do in a Pre-Retirement briefing. Thank God I did that!

Foxxx5oh
07-26-2007, 02:02 PM
yeah, nobody told me to copy my records or anything like that, i was told that when i got home my records would be there....yeah, i was wrong as were they...any tips as to how i would go about starting the process of getting my records locally? i have no idea where they went after i left Ft Campbell... :(

Katmandu
07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
yeah, nobody told me to copy my records or anything like that, i was told that when i got home my records would be there....yeah, i was wrong as were they...any tips as to how i would go about starting the process of getting my records locally? i have no idea where they went after i left Ft Campbell... :(They probably went to the big black hole in St.Louis were all Military Medical records go. :(

Better get started now because it most likely will be a LONG drawn out process. :(

Check this out for starters...

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html

And this......

http://members.aol.com/forvets/htomr.htm

I would also start making calls back to Ft.Campbell asking to get ahold of someone in Veteran's Affairs.

Foxxx5oh
07-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Thank you :) heres hopin it doesnt take too god awful long...and hopefully the GI Bill isnt as slow :(

Greg Seibert
07-26-2007, 03:53 PM
You know I've considered getting together a local group for automotive and racing enthusiast aputees and permantly injured vetrans,taking them to events and functions. We would need a hanicapped lift van for transportation, and more than likely some special liability insurance and the like. This is the least we could do for these heros, as I've been injured in the past, and a little diversion such as this works wonders for ones outlook on life.
I honestly have felt the need to give something back for the fortuntes I've been given in this great country.

:thanks: Vets!