PDA

View Full Version : H/C/I Combo ???

92BlackStang
07-25-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm seeing the trickflow and other top end kits get you mid to low 12's on stock block stock pistons, but from what i've seen like bangingears and plated have also been low to mid 12's on explorer heads with a good intake cam set up , and to me thats a lot cheaper route to go. I wanting to do a h/c/i swap on my 91 lx. if i can get the same performance or even close ona cheaper route then i should go that way right and start to save the extra for a s/c or maybe a turbo kit .. I just want something that has a radical cam that pulls to 6-6500 rpm and something that will be good to go out and street race every now and then.. so whys everyone go trickflow or other brand routes when they can go just as fast with cheaper parts by far.

ibstrokin
07-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Many reasons, future upgrade ability, weight, valvetrain, valve size. Sometimes you can throw alot of money into a "cheap" set of heads. You have to factor in valve job, spings, valves, are the heads cracked, stripped threads, damaged in any other way.

92BlackStang
07-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Many reasons, future upgrade ability, weight, valvetrain, valve size. Sometimes you can throw alot of money into a "cheap" set of heads. You have to factor in valve job, spings, valves, are the heads cracked, stripped threads, damaged in any other way.
so lets say i wanted to throw a set of explorer heads on my lx and a good cam and intake combo and get it mid 12's, What would it get me with a s/c , on a sct tune. i just want something that sounds radiacal and gets up and goes

92BlackStang
07-26-2007, 12:48 AM
the a street and strip car is what i wanna build. maybe low 12's to mid 12's on motor and slap a good screaming s/c on it and see what it goes

WARNOTCH
07-26-2007, 04:23 AM
wile we are on the subject. i was looking into this trick flow upper end kit it seems to be a great deal. but i was wondering myself if it would be a better deal to buy this kit or just get all the parts or different parts separately? hear is a link to the trick flow kit. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS%2DK514%2D350%2D370&autoview=sku

331TwistedWedge
07-26-2007, 11:16 AM
wile we are on the subject. i was looking into this trick flow upper end kit it seems to be a great deal. but i was wondering myself if it would be a better deal to buy this kit or just get all the parts or different parts separately? hear is a link to the trick flow kit. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS%2DK514%2D350%2D370&autoview=sku

i ran that kit 4 years ago on my 302, i had good luck with it ... you should pull LOW 12's, if you lighten the car and setup the suspension ... i run the trick flow combo on my 331 right now ~ mid 11's in a full weight notch ... hope this helps ...

this kit is almost $2500.00 now, a vortech starts at $2000.00 ~ something to think about ...

Jeff88coupe
07-26-2007, 12:05 PM
About 6 years ago I use to run a stock shortblock combo- ported gt40p heads, mild custom cam, gt40 intake, 1 5/8 lt, + the usual other bolt on stuff. Motor made 298rwhp/320rwtq on the dyno...ran a best n/a of 12.19 at 110, 10.98 at 126 on a 200 shot. I had a decent amount of $$ in the heads..probably $800-1000 if I added it all up (bare castings,port work,good valve,valve job,milling,good valve springs/retainers/locks). I think if I had it to do all over again I would have gotten a set of used Aluminum heads (TFS,AFR,Canfields,RHS,Vic jr's)....you can find a good used set of those for ~$800-1000 if you look around. Then you will still have room to grow with those heads since you can still port them.

408gt91
08-16-2007, 01:12 AM
i would go the trickflow route.ive got them on my 408,there a real good head.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb170/nasty1-69/mymotor013.jpg

5.0calypso93lx
08-16-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm seeing the trickflow and other top end kits get you mid to low 12's on stock block stock pistons, but from what i've seen like bangingears and plated have also been low to mid 12's on explorer heads with a good intake cam set up , and to me thats a lot cheaper route to go. I wanting to do a h/c/i swap on my 91 lx. if i can get the same performance or even close ona cheaper route then i should go that way right and start to save the extra for a s/c or maybe a turbo kit .. I just want something that has a radical cam that pulls to 6-6500 rpm and something that will be good to go out and street race every now and then.. so whys everyone go trickflow or other brand routes when they can go just as fast with cheaper parts by far.

I think you'd make more power with a trick flow kit, but with bangingears and plated, they were getting every single hp to the ground with their explorer intakes and gt40 heads, so they were running just as well as most other trick flow kitted cars.

I'm going with trick flow track heat heads, holley systemax manifold, and probably a custom cam.

12seclx
08-16-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm going to tell you to save your money and go with the
p-head combination... Shoot, I'm lazy these days... I wouldn't
even bother messin' with buying good head gaskets, head bolts, etc.

I'd pull the motor (and trans) out of the car... go to--- car-part.com
and do a search for a 99-00' Mountaineer/Explorer motor and rock it...
Slide a stock 5 liter camshaft in it... stock rockers if you wish.... I've
had good luck with them... I'd probably put valve springs on it because
I'm losing power above 5,300...

My car weighs 3,150 w/ me in it... Ran 12.38 @ 109.27mph on a mediocre 1.72 sixty foot... still run power steering... 1 hour commute to the track for me...

One thing that I would highly recommend is to get a dyno tune.. or play around with a wideband set-up and try to find a computer system or chip..
I've had really good results out of my Speedbrain... :)