PDA

View Full Version : spring install trick?

blk93notch
07-31-2007, 12:34 PM
is there a trick to installing the front coil springs? i cant get them in for anything. i picked up a compressor from autozone but its a new version with a fork that wont fit in the spring since its a lowering spring. i just thought the lowering springs werent that much of a pain to put in. just wondering if there is a trick. thanks

bobtsgt
07-31-2007, 12:42 PM
no real trick. Just have to make sure your front arm is free from everything. I always get lowering springs in with a little prying action and a jack. Did you use an external or internal compressor?

331TwistedWedge
07-31-2007, 12:46 PM
make sure your car is high enough & the a-arm can go all the way to the ground ... since its a lowering spring, it should be a little easier to install (try putting in a eibach drag launch spring ~ those fuggers are 8 foot long) ... make sure the pig tail is angled correctly in relation to the a-arm ... get the top in flush and start the bottom by getting it angled in the best you can ~ then slowly jack it up ... it might take a few tries, but you will get it ...

this is why i love my new coil overs ...

blueoval4ever
07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Like mentioned above, make sure the A arm can be lowered all the way, put the top of the spring in the seat and line it up so it will fit in the A arm properly. While you push down on the A arm with one foot use a long pry bar to pop the spring into the A arm. Keep your jack under the control arm so it's ready to jack it up once you get the spring in. This is how I've done all of mine and it has been pretty easy to do.

blk93notch
08-01-2007, 01:22 AM
i used an internal one.

after reading this i feel like an idiot. after im dont and i get the car on the rode and everything is done i owe you guys a round. man i feel dumb. it seems simple. in the a.m. ill do what you guys said. thanks so much

dedpedal
08-01-2007, 07:25 AM
The last time I did front springs, I had Jeff compress them and take them to work and band them with the steel strapping bands thats used for binding heavy things to skids. Once home, I just set them in and lifted the control arm up to the strut, bolted it together and cut the bands once the car was on the ground.

5.0calypso93lx
08-01-2007, 08:54 AM
When I did mine, I was barely able to get mine in with the arm all the way down. If I ever had to do it again, I would probably pull the control arm off and try it that way.

331TwistedWedge
08-01-2007, 10:37 AM
i used an internal one.

after reading this i feel like an idiot. after im dont and i get the car on the rode and everything is done i owe you guys a round. man i feel dumb. it seems simple. in the a.m. ill do what you guys said. thanks so much

don't feel like an idiot, i rank this as one of the hardest things to do to a mustang ... i'd rather pull an engine ...

blk93notch
08-01-2007, 11:33 AM
got one side in this morning, ill do the other tommorrow. the pigtail barely fit in its place. what luck. i have a meeting at work so i have to go in early. thanks guys.

JonS
08-01-2007, 11:57 AM
I did the drag launch springs a few years ago before I went to coilovers. I am lucky I lived through that experience. We did the hillbilly version of banding them. We used high tensile fencing wire and a shop press. It all worked out, but looking back I would probably try removing the A arm if doing it again.:lol: