PDA

View Full Version : Brake job on Explorer-help

03snake03
08-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Ok, I know we have alot of ford guys out here so I was wondering if someone could give me some info on how you get the rear rotor off of my 2005 explorer. Did the front brakes in about 40 mins and the rears looked even easier but it seems like the rear parking brake is holding up the rotor from sliding off. (and no the parking brake is not on) I used a hammer and a piece of pine to beat the crap out of the rotor to try and loosen the thing. It did loosen up a little but still won't come off. Is there a way to adjust the rear parking brake so that it will loosen up or a way to disconnect the parking brake long enough to get the rotor off? Any tips or info you could give me would be great.

Timido
08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
The rotors get real rusty where the parking brake shoes are. There are adjusters you can loosen on the back of the backing plate. What I do is : Smack the face of the rotor with a nice sized hammer in several places without hitting the lugs. That lossens the rotor off the hub. Then pry on one side of the rotor and beat the other side of it with you favorite hammer. You might want to have some safety glasses on because stuff starts flying if the rotor comes apart.

cstreu1026
08-06-2007, 09:21 PM
I had this same problem on my 95 Neon. I beat the hell out of it with a hammer and it eventually fell off.