PDA

View Full Version : Stay AOD or SWAP T-5

Pitviper1996
07-30-2007, 04:19 PM
I cant make up my mind lol any pros and cons to look at to help my desicion?

331TwistedWedge
07-30-2007, 04:36 PM
swap to a t-5 ... i did it back in 1999 ~ picked up over .5 tenths ... you can also run the UMTR events ... automatics are boring!

*if you don't have a clutch, you don't have much*

Dirtyd0g
08-02-2007, 01:57 AM
I'd keep the aod, put a wide ratio set in it with some other updated components and a good converter. If you want it to really be capable of handling power you'll need a 31 spline input shaft.
I have been working on my webpages and here are a couple aod options if you want to make it quick and consistant. The pages are far from done and will only work in IE right now.
http://www.dirtydogperformance.com/billetaod.htm
http://www.dirtydogperformance.com/billetaod31.htm
Alan

JonS
08-02-2007, 06:46 AM
I say it depends on your goal. My 86 has an AOD in it and I like it because at the track I never miss a shift, it's consistent, and it's fast. On the street a stick is more fun. An auto, even a really fast one, just isn't as much fun. You can make an AOD pretty fast though, and they aren't nearly as fragile as most think with only a couple mods. The tranny in my 86 is stock except for a Lentch valve body, an Edge non lockup converter, a hardened 3-4 shaft and an A servo. It has lot's of 1/4 mile passes and street miles.

Rich
08-02-2007, 10:15 AM
I was in the same boat as you last winter. I have decided to go with an auto. Right now I have an AOD in the car. I can tell you that with close to stock horsepower levels, the car will be slower. But as HP goes up, the car will be more consistent, easier on parts, and easier to drive.

An AOD can be built to handle as much HP as any stock block can make. There are plenty of turbo guys running the aod and pushing 700+ rwhp.

A great resource is click click racing...

http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/

What are your goals for the car?

93cobra
08-02-2007, 10:37 AM
AODs are boring...upgraded parts or not...real men race manuals...lol. I honestly wouldn't fool with drag racing if I had an auto car...unless it was 6 seconds or quicker.

Timido
08-02-2007, 04:32 PM
6 seconds good luck with that. Really for anything Faster than 10sec I prefer the Auto. I wouldnt want to try to fool with a cluch tune. I have made 9 sec passes where making one shift steering and pedaling the gas was enough work. For a street car I would want the Stick.

93cobra
08-03-2007, 01:14 PM
I agree, 6 seconds might be pushing it, but definitely 7's....Also agree, clutch tunes will be easier said then done...but honestly, if I can't figure it out with a 9 second ride, I won't fool with it unless I was in a pro 5.0, or pro mod car etc. I have no desire to run power glides...there is nothing wrong with people who do etc...I know its the ticket with bracket racing etc..but its just not for me.

plated
08-04-2007, 07:52 AM
stick cars suck,i thought i'd never say that,they feel fast cause your moving all around to shift the thing 4 different times gets ya all worked up,plus u loose rpm inbetween shifts.i put an auto in my car boost doesn't drop a bit inbetween shifts and i picked up a 1/2 second in the 1/4. look at all the high dollar fast stick cars on this site there broke every other pass:o

Dirtyd0g
08-04-2007, 10:21 AM
stick cars suck,i thought i'd never say that,they feel fast cause your moving all around to shift the thing 4 different times gets ya all worked up,plus u loose rpm inbetween shifts.i put an auto in my car boost doesn't drop a bit inbetween shifts and i picked up a 1/2 second in the 1/4. look at all the high dollar fast stick cars on this site there broke every other pass:o

In january MM&FF we installed a 4r70w into a bullit that dropped 1.2 seconds on the track, but also lost about 35 hp on the dyno. I'd say thats worth going auto for. Also once you have seen a clutch come apart and cut a car in half you'll think twice about how much you really want that manual.
Alan

Timido
08-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Thats why they make steel bell housings. Converters and flexplates come apart also thats why they make sfi flex plates and automatic bellhousings and trans shields/blankets. I dont think they even make a sfi bellhousing for a 4r70w

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Although autos are typically faster, i feel that a stick shows how fast the DRIVER is as well as the car. No offense to anyone but i have a lot more respect for a car that runs the same ET with a stick as the next guy in an auto because it's more demanding of the driver. I'd probably run an auto in a bracket car, but never on a street car even if it did make me slower.

Dirtyd0g
08-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Thats why they make steel bell housings. Converters and flexplates come apart also thats why they make sfi flex plates and automatic bellhousings and trans shields/blankets. I dont think they even make a sfi bellhousing for a 4r70w

Actually they do now.

Timido
08-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Who makes that one? I guess you could run some kind of shield anyway. I would allways run a steel bellhousing with a stick car. Ask Paul how his came apart when his car was stock.

Dirtyd0g
08-05-2007, 03:31 AM
I don't remember the name of the company, but they have been made my buddy knows where to get them.
Alan

Ryan218
08-05-2007, 04:00 PM
since my car will be daily drive and will be very lucky to see the track at all next year i know i would rather have an 5 speed...fun factor witha stick on the street...auto's ah...well its kinda just get in and go... take the fun out of driving

Dirtyd0g
08-05-2007, 06:54 PM
since my car will be daily drive and will be very lucky to see the track at all next year i know i would rather have an 5 speed...fun factor witha stick on the street...auto's ah...well its kinda just get in and go... take the fun out of driving

Thats too bad the SC shootout is coming and I am a sponsor. I have put up a $100 cash proze for the automatic mn-12 or fn-10 chassis with the best 60 foot time.
Alan

Pitviper1996
08-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Well i want to put a t-5 in it. But i dunno how big of a pain it will be. I already know i need a driveshaft spacer since im putting a fox tranny in it but as for the pedals id be stuck.

Ryan218
08-06-2007, 01:46 AM
Thats too bad the SC shootout is coming and I am a sponsor. I have put up a $100 cash prize for the automatic mn-12 or fn-10 chassis with the best 60 foot time.
Alan

i may be going to it :bigthumb oh and whys it to bad? you lost me there?

Dirtyd0g
08-06-2007, 02:29 AM
i may be going to it :bigthumb oh and whys it to bad? you lost me there?

It's an automatic only contest for that award.

Ryan218
08-06-2007, 03:53 AM
It's an automatic only contest for that award.

oh ok.

Timido
08-06-2007, 04:25 PM
I am moving this to Drivetrain.

331TwistedWedge
08-06-2007, 06:17 PM
6 seconds good luck with that. Really for anything Faster than 10sec I prefer the Auto. I like to have one hand on the steering wheel & one hand on my peter.

:eek: :lol: :cool1:

Timido
08-06-2007, 08:52 PM
You know this..............MAN

331TwistedWedge
08-06-2007, 09:27 PM
You know this..............MAN

lol, i cant get anything past you ... you are slick my man - i give you that ...

nighty night, past my bed time ...

93cobra
08-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Although autos are typically faster, i feel that a stick shows how fast the DRIVER is as well as the car. No offense to anyone but i have a lot more respect for a car that runs the same ET with a stick as the next guy in an auto because it's more demanding of the driver. I'd probably run an auto in a bracket car, but never on a street car even if it did make me slower.

Well said!

Hell I remember Gary Rowe telling me that driving his 7 second blue car with the powerglide was actually boring after awhile.

If you don't want to challenge yourself hitting shifts, you may as well save your money, buy a yard cart with a 5hp briggs motor & get in, floor it and at least weave in & out of trees behind the house maybe rippin an occasional donut in the grass for more excitement...:eek::lol:

...just kidding...

to each is their own...

...im sure i do shit that people roll their eyes at too...:bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Well said!

Hell I remember Gary Rowe telling me that driving his 7 second blue car with the powerglide was actually boring after awhile.

If you don't want to challenge yourself hitting shifts, you may as well save your money, buy a yard cart with a 5hp briggs motor & get in, floor it and at least weave in & out of trees behind the house maybe rippin an occasional donut in the grass for more excitement...:eek::lol:

...just kidding...

to each is their own...

...im sure i do shit that people roll their eyes at too...:bigthumb

Dude think about back in the day before we hand sinchronizers in our tranys and had to double clutch....those guys could drive!

It's funny cause i was watching the chase scene from Bullitt the other day with my buddy, and he asked why the Mustang sounded so funny between shifts...i said because McQueen is double clutching, and doing it quite fast at that....or at least that's how they wanted it to sound.