PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for reading block numbers.

RACEME
08-08-2007, 06:08 AM
I have a buyer for the Mach 1, but he wants confirmation of matching numbers. The 428s have the vin lightly stamped into a pad on the drivers side rear of the block between the head and bell housing. I tried using a mirror and flashlight, but can't get close enough to read anything. I have another 428 block on a shelf and it is a pain to read out in the open.

There is about 3" or so between the firewall and the block, so I was thinking about sticking my digital camera back there to try and get a shot that is readable.

These things are stamped so lightly it is a pain to read at all.

Anyone have a better idea?

dedpedal
08-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Cover the numbers with a white paint marker and rub off the excess. Just like doing the number on a harmonic balancer.

RACEME
08-08-2007, 07:24 AM
they are not stamped deep enough. The area was already painted and I tried scraping that off and nothing showed up.

dedpedal
08-08-2007, 07:46 AM
How about brushing some acid on it. Like the police do to retrieve ground off serial numbers on stolen guns?

Jeff88coupe
08-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Piece of thin paper and pencil....rub the pencil over the paper over the numbers?

RACEME
08-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Jeff, I will try that. I feel bad as I have this guy in california with cash in had ready to jump on the next flight to do a final inspection on the car.

one90gt
08-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Silly putty? It should transfer the image to the putty for a better inspection once it is out of the engine bay. Just make sure to get some really smooth textured and pliable stuff.