PDA

View Full Version : F*c*k*n* AC

ponymom05
08-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Some days it doesn't pay to come home. For the 2nd time in 6 weeks the AC has quit cooling. Just had it cleaned and serviced on 6/26, had a coolant leak. Came home last night after a 14 hour day and find the house is hotter than Hel*. Did the usual I'm supposed to do - changed the filter, turned it off for several hours, still not cooling down. Left it off overnight (damn hot in here) back on this morning, still 82 degrees. Guess I have to call the repair fools again. Good luck getting them out today! There's another $100 at least.

All I wanted to do was come home, cool off and go to bed. WAIT, had to feed a puppy that is here (did they forget about him?). Went out in the pouring ass rain (yes, we had a hard shower at exactly that time) only to discover - there's no food! Now what kind of people leave a dog behind with NO FOOD???

To make this day worse, my precious Grandson is coming home this AM to a hot f*cki*g house, so no doubt daughter will take him to hers and I won't see him or her, then the granddaughter is supposed to come for the weekend. Too hot here. Looks like the Holiday Inn for us this weekend, I'm not staying here in this heat. More money, more money. And now I have to go to work and do it all over again!

This morning LIFE SUCKS!

bobtsgt
08-10-2007, 07:57 AM
damn momma that sucks. you could always pick up a single window unit for those just incase moments.

Black Hole
08-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Some days it doesn't pay to come home. For the 2nd time in 6 weeks the AC has quit cooling. Just had it cleaned and serviced on 6/26, had a coolant leak. Came home last night after a 14 hour day and find the house is hotter than Hel*. Did the usual I'm supposed to do - changed the filter, turned it off for several hours, still not cooling down. Left it off overnight (damn hot in here) back on this morning, still 82 degrees. Guess I have to call the repair fools again. Good luck getting them out today! There's another $100 at least.
You do know that it'll take 24-48 hours for the A/C to "pull" the heat out of the walls right?

When you shut it off for a couple of hours, did you check the condensor out?

The reason you turn it off for a few hours is incase the condensor froze outside.....you have to let it thaw out before it will work right.

If the condensor is running, go out and carefully feel the pipes going into the unit. One should be cold (much much cooler than outside temps and probably sweating) and the other should be hot (be careful because it's possible to be burned) or at least very warm where you can't just hold the pipe for a long time. If one pipe is cold and the other is warm, then the system is working, but because the house is so hot you can't feel the difference inside. Just let it run overnight or all day and it'll get the job done eventually. If one is not cool, then there's your problem.

If the condensor is NOT running when the blower is running, then you need to figure out why...

Example - my A/C went out last week. It was 85* when I got home (and I keep the house at 74*). I checked the usual stuff and the condensor wasn't running outside when the blower was. I shut the power off and inspected the outter fuse block to find that the block had overheated and melted. With the power off, I pulled the blown fuses, disconnected the wires from the block, and removed the outter box. I went to Home Depot, spent $25 on a new box, fuse block, and fuses and an hour later my condensor was running again. (I did use a ohm meter to make sure that the motor wasn't shot before doing that.) This was all done by 7 p.m. I verified that the condensor was working by feeling the pipes even though the air coming out of the vents was still warm (because the house and walls were HOT).

I went to softball and came home at midnight and the house was only 81* and still warm. The A/C ran all night and I woke up to 72* (I had lowered the setting the night before). :D

ponymom05
08-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Sounds like it might of been handy to have a man around the house! I figure if I had to be sweatin' all night, not get much sleep, and be tired all day, it shoulda' been for a better reason!! ;)

On a brighter note, the AC just got fixed...blown capacitor, didn't charge me a service call, just the part and 15 minutes of time. The temp in here is dropping as we speak. Now if I just can get a nap, I'll stop bitchin'!

Thanks guys.

cstreu1026
08-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Thats good to hear. I am glad they got out there quickly and didn't rake you over the coals.