PDA

View Full Version : Pinks Engine Build, the engine that won

NXcoupe
08-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Ok, so I was told by Kelly when we started on this Pinks build, that I could post up a play by play of putting the engine together, but after we discussed it some more, we agreed that it wasn't a good idea to show our hand to the opposition.
So, here is what made the Pinks car go:

First off, it is an early 70's 351 block. It is .040 over, with a 3.85" stroker scat crank, which makes it a 396. Probe donated the pistons, which are forged SRS units with 28 cc dish I believe, but have to check that one out. It came out to 8.7 to one compression for the turbo. It has both valve reliefs in the pistons for twisted wedge and inline valves. The rings are a hellfire style ring in 1.5 mm top and second, with a 3mm oil ring. Again, this is from memory and if I put anything up here wrong I will correct it on down in the thread. I used a set of H beam rods, 5.95" long with clevite bearings on both mains and rods.
On the block I had it align honed with the girdle on it, decked and then bored and torque plate honed to fit the pistons. I specd the piston to wall a little looser because we didn't know how hard we were going to lean on it.
I also had the assembly balanced to 28 oz. I won't go into to many of the specifics of the clearances I use.
I blueprinted the engine, and whoever ends up buying the car will get those.
Here are some pics of the block after its initial cleaning:

NXcoupe
08-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Ok, so here are pics of the assembled short block, you can see the H beams and the balancing work on the crank, along with the sweet pistons Probe gave us.

NXcoupe
08-11-2007, 08:14 PM
I used a DSS main support and windage tray to keep the mains in check with all that boost pushing on it. The timing chain is a double roller I sell that uses a torrington bearing thrust with a special thrust plate machined to work with the bearings, one in front, one behind the plate. It keeps the timing from moving and messing with the tune. The camshaft was donated by cam dynamics, and seemed to work really well, and their lifters are top notch.

NXcoupe
08-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Here is a pic of the lifters and cam in the engine. Next I'll go into the heads and such.

NXcoupe
08-11-2007, 08:23 PM
The heads are TFS R's and a TFS R intake with a box upper that was donated by Trick Flow. I used my oring tool and cut the oring grooves into the head surface, then put .041 wire into the grooves. I use a graphite head gasket with them, and it didn't burn a gasket even when hot lapping it, so it works.

NXcoupe
08-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Next, I took the lower intake out of the box and massaged it to work with the R head's monster sized intake ports. The heads are CNC ported from TFS and have polished stainless valves and solid roller springs.

NXcoupe
08-11-2007, 08:26 PM
More after while, got to run to the store.

cstreu1026
08-11-2007, 08:53 PM
B double E double R U N? It was definitley a cool project and I am glad everyone will get to see the insides of the bullet that powered the beast.

Mista Bone
08-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Did you goto Indiana for the beer run????

NXcoupe
08-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Sorry, more now. I had James and his wife over, then fell asleep in the chair since I had been up since 6 am on Friday.
I put a melling oil pump on it, had the fitting for the turbo return line welded into the oil pan, which was a stock style swap pan. I put a new pick up on it, and had to form the pick up to fit with the main girdle before I put the pan on. Someone donated a front cover, so I dug up some hardware and bolted it on. I bolted on the intake and bought some pushrods after making a tool to check for the length(I didn't have one long enough, which is the story of my life ;) ). I got the pushrods in the next day and went back down to put them in and the used set of rockers we had donated. We were installing the pushrods in and I came across one that didn't feel quite right, so we ended up pulling the intake and found one of the lifters had come partially up out of the hole and the link bar wouldn't let it slide back in. We sealed the intake back up and adjusted all the valves. We only had to make a small adjustment to two valves on Thursday night. I put the valve cover gaskets onto the valve covers and we put a few pieces of hardware in and then I was finished with the engine. James and I took it down to Matt and Mark who were waiting to help put it in. It was a blast working on this and I felt proud to be the one building this tribute to Vinny. I put work aside in the shop and gathered everything up that wasn't donated, because from the start Kelly and I had talked about our commitment to winning.
If anyone has any specific questions about it, I would be happy to answer them.

Silver Bullet
08-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Cool... keep posting the updates and more info., I'm sure a lot of people are following the thread.....:bigthumb

Timido
08-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Thank you for suporting the Pinks build and Stangbangerz. A little boost 11lbs on that monster and she will put a smile on your face. Hot lapping a turbo car in 100 degree temps is never easy. This engine never skipped a beat. No big suprises or problems to complicate things.

Sharad
08-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Hey Mike, Gregg said he did the machine work. That true?

NXcoupe
08-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I listed everyone who donated time or parts.

Sharad
08-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't understand the cryptic response, but regardless, you all did an excellent job! Makes you wonder how fast it'll run with mega-boost!

S197GT
08-13-2007, 07:59 PM
that thing is wicked, cant wait to see it in action and mike on the big screen lmao.