PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Storing a Motor

Andy
08-12-2007, 08:47 AM
I have a perfectly good efi 302 complete motor sitting on a engine stand in my garage and wanted to make sure that i keep it in good shape. It came out of the car in this past Feb. and since i have turned the motor over by hand once. So it sat for 5-6months before it was touched. Any chance the rings could have seated since it sat for 5-6months. Also when I turned it over it was real hard to turn. What things should i be doing to keep it stored correctly?

Thanks,
Andy

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-12-2007, 09:23 AM
First, if you turned the motor over with spark plugs in, it's going to be real hard to turn....take out the plugs and it should be a lot easier.

Second, i've *heard* that the best way is to actually FILL the engine with oil...just fill the whole thing up...and then wrap it up in plastic and it should be good.

If you recall that story in Hotrod a while back with that guy who hoarded all those cars and parts and had that huge stash of rare stuff....he had taken all the engines out of the rare cars he was collecting and did this to store them. They said in the mag that most of them just got the oil drained and a new oil and filter and fired right up after 30 years of storage.

Jeff88coupe
08-12-2007, 10:39 AM
I would spray a good amount of WD-40 into each cylinder (spark plug hole). Turn the motor over a few times to spread the oil around each cylinder and coat the walls and rings. Then tape up the intake and exhaust ports and put the plugs back in. Then just turn the motor over about half a crank turn every month or 2.

Andy
08-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Yeah I just realized the plugs were still in....Duhh. Anyway thats good info thanks for the help guys.:bigthumb