PDA

View Full Version : Under drive pulleys

SWEET GT
08-14-2007, 02:16 PM
I know, I post alot of questions, but you guys have some great information and advice.

I am toying with the idea of under drive pulleys.

My current setup is nothing major: MAC cold air, Accufab 75mm TB and plenum, MAC pro-chamber, flowmaster 40 series, steeda tri-ax, plus other minor things.

I want to do pulleys both for look and maybe get a HP or 2 or a SOTP difference..I know nothing major comes out of pulleys.

My goal was to get a set of aluminum (non coated) as to aid in engine dress up as well. (I show the car fairly often).

I looked at the March performance pulleys and liked what I saw.

I realized you have 2 options..getting the set with the SFI dampener and alt and water pump pulleys..which is coated in black..
OR
Getting the piggyback style that uses the stock dampener and comes with alt and water pump pulleys, all in a machined aluminum finish.

I have heard pros and cons with the piggyback style, of course you dont get as much of a "HP gain", but you dont have to worry about excessive vibration to the oil pump gears. I have read even with a SFI approved dampener, one can still have issues down the road.

My ultiimate goal is to get a decent set of pulleys that look good too..

I imagine I need a new belt too, but havent seen much reference in length needed.

I am open to opinions, etc.

Thanks guys

bobtsgt
08-14-2007, 02:25 PM
I have Steeda ones on my car with no problem. I left the alt pulley off and used the stocker. used the stock belt.

venomous_svt
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
+1 steedas are really good, march also is decent. You can check with the manufacture of the pullies to see if the stock belt is ok or if a shorter one is needed...dont mess with alt pulley you can end up with all kinds of charging issues...make sure you use a crankshaft pulley remover if you DIY...you can really mess things up if you dont.

piggybacks are asking for disaster!

in all honesty you could save the money for a better mod...like lcas, gear, drs...or a tune. you could better benefit from

e5shea
08-17-2007, 12:01 AM
DON"T USE PIGGYBACK PULLIES!! I run the BBK pullies, but never dyno'd before and after. I was at 243 rwhp with pullies, BBK CAI, MAC o/r H-pipe, SLP loudmouth, and SCT chip (Dayton 5.0 Perf tuned). I'm full bolt-on now, but still naturally aspirated and got 264/290 and it gets me consistent 12.8xx's to 13.0xx's.

FMGT1999
08-17-2007, 12:49 AM
Been there done that... My vote would go to save your money and buy something that's really going to make a difference.

JMO...

Kyle

SSgtHUTCH
08-18-2007, 02:18 PM
DON"T USE PIGGYBACK PULLIES!! I run the BBK pullies, but never dyno'd before and after. I was at 243 rwhp with pullies, BBK CAI, MAC o/r H-pipe, SLP loudmouth, and SCT chip (Dayton 5.0 Perf tuned). I'm full bolt-on now, but still naturally aspirated and got 264/290 and it gets me consistent 12.8xx's to 13.0xx's.

Does Dayton 5.0 ever, ever, ever, ever return an EMail???? I cant reach them on the phone during duty hours so I have to send emails, and they never, ever answer them. All I want to know is how much it will be to get some stuff installed. Its not like Im emailing them a question about quantum physics that might take a month to figure out.

Black Hole
08-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Does Dayton 5.0 ever, ever, ever, ever return an EMail???? I cant reach them on the phone during duty hours so I have to send emails, and they never, ever answer them. All I want to know is how much it will be to get some stuff installed. Its not like Im emailing them a question about quantum physics that might take a month to figure out.
PM him. (http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=124) ;)

I don't send Mike emails, but he returns my PM's on here in a timely basis. :dunno:

cstreu1026
08-20-2007, 09:05 AM

You can also post on http://www.gemcitystangs.com/

e5shea
08-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Back to pullies, I can't say what they are or aren't doing for me, but they're all so close to the same that I'd go with a set of BBK's because they're cheap. Keep in mind that for the cost of CAI, TB & Plenum, and pullies...you could just get some cams.

SWEET GT
08-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I think Im just gonna go the 4.10 route.

Stang 38L
08-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Dooo it.