PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a turbo 2.3....check this out

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-20-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm trying to make sure i've got this straight.....so look at this and make sure i'm on the right track:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2825000-2825999/2825845_4_full.jpg

And if that is the boost control solenoid, then is it supposed to be full of OIL? :confused:

MFIELD
08-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Yes I think your right but I dont think its supposed to have oil in it. Turbo seals are probably out or return line is plugged.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Someone else said either the valve seals and/or the PCV. I figured the PCV, so i'm getting one from Ford tomorrow and i'll take off the bcs and clean it out and get the oil out...the put it back together and see what happens with the new PCV.

MFIELD
08-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes didnt think of that.

MFIELD
08-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Just hook the two hoses together and get all the boost your foot wants. Woo Hoo!! Just be carefull.

Kevin Doe
08-21-2007, 01:56 PM
You need to hook it up like this. Signal from intake manifold to the in port of yoru new MBC. Outlet of your MBC to the wastegate.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys....someone on another board said something about this would limit my boost to only about 9psi....any reason/truth behind that? I figured if that's the proper way to hook up the MBC then THAT would determine the boost, not how it's hooked up.

87poopcoupe
08-21-2007, 09:46 PM
yup... come take a look at mine if ya want

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-23-2007, 08:56 PM
yup... come take a look at mine if ya want

I've love to....where do you live...you free this weekend? I need someone with some hands on with the Merkurs since there's a lot of wacky vacuum junk under the hood. (also i've gotta steal your fmic lol)

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-23-2007, 09:56 PM
I've love to....where do you live...you free this weekend? I need someone with some hands on with the Merkurs since there's a lot of wacky vacuum junk under the hood. (also i've gotta steal your fmic lol)

EDIT:
A guy told me that i can bypass the boost control solenoid completely, and just run a hose from the same place on the T3 that's going to the BCS now, and just run that straight to the waste gate actuator and plug the rest of the ports on the turbo.....he said that this will give me 14psi as soon as the turbo can make it but that the port on the turbo actually restricts boost to 14psi because of the diameter of the opening (he said you can drill it out and get more but you need an intercooler). He said this port actually IS the boost regulator, and that the BCS basically tricks the WGA into running only 9psi until the turbo hits 4k RPM....but that bypassing it will give me the 14psi instantly...i just have to run premium (which i do anyways).

Is this BS or will this work reliably without blowing my head gasket? Is it safe to run like this until it's intercooled? (i'm not even going to put the MBC on it until then because i KNOW i'll give in and crank the boost up lol ) If this will give me a reliable 14psi that won't overboost or anything, i'll be happy with that until i can intercool it.

Foxxx5oh
08-23-2007, 10:07 PM
you CAN bypass the boost controller, so long as you keep your foot out of it...unless you want to rebuild a turbo sometime soon

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-24-2007, 05:21 AM
It just sounds too simple and unreliable...i think i'll stick with the mbc and just try to behave and keep it at 12psi.

Kevin Doe
08-24-2007, 08:43 AM
I've been reading this and it seems there is quite a bit of misunderstanding about how to control boost.

The wastegage actuator will be fully open at a set pressure, this pressure is set by the internal spring and preload in the actuator. For a factory internal gate setup, you usually cannot change this. The wastegate will be partially open at a lower pressure, and progressively open more till its fully open at the set pressure. It would be a good idea for you to check to see what that pressure is. Its easy to check; put a hose from the outlet of the compressor housing to the wastegate actuator. Whatever your max boost is, thats what the wastegate actuator is set to. This is good information to have (however I believe the Ford T3s were set to 12 psi on the actuator only).

There is the bleeder method, which is what the factory boost control solenoid is controlling. The bleeder method bleeds pressure off the line that travels to the wastegate actuator. It does this to obtain a lower pressure in that line, lower than the manifold pressure. The results in higher boost than wastegate actuator is set for. The bleeder method could be simply done with an orifice, but Ford OEM did it by electronically controlling a valve that opens and closes. I do not like this method of boost control.

Another method is the manual boost controller, or ball and spring method. With this method, the valve goes inline, between manifold pressure and the wastegate. The ball and spring is a valve that only allows air past the ball if the spring pressure/preload is exceeded. You put more preload on the spring to run higher boost. Basically, no air will get to the wastegate actuator untill teh set pressure is reached, then once it is, the valve opens and imediately controls boost. This is the method I prefer. Its very simple, and very cheap, and very effective. With this method, the wastgate actuator is never partially open, it will either be all the way or not at all. Due to this, you will get faster spoolup (since the wastegate will be fully closed untill set boost is reached, unlike the bleeder method) than the other methods.

There si electornic boost control, which is even more complex, but for a 2.3T I don't recommend it, since its usually expensive, probably even more than the engine is worth. :lol:

I hope this helps.

Kevin Doe
08-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I just looked at the picture you posted, and the part labeled wastegate is not totally correct. That part is the wastegate actuator. If you follow the rod comming out of hte back of the actuator you will see it attach to an arm. That arm is the lever for the actual wastegate.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-24-2007, 05:22 PM
That helps a ton Kevin, thank you. :bigthumb:

MBC it is!

dedpedal
08-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Ive been toying with the idea of running a tbird boost conrtol solinoid and wiring it into my trans brake button to launch off a lower boost then let it rip going downtrack.
David, I have one thats out of a turbo coupe if you want to stop by and see how it works without having to remove yours.
I dont think it does anything other than raise the boost level more that what the stock spring is rated at EG: its not variable.
Im not sure if my muddled thoughts make any sence or not, but I just woke up.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey Kev....i read about the TC unit...something about it's purpose was basically so you could drive around with lower octane gas right? Sort of like a 2-tune chip or or something. That would be a really cool idea if you could dial it in for whatever boost level you wanted in the high boost setting.

This is something else that's awesome i was looking at:
http://www.boostvalve.com/pricelist.html

Scroll down to the Deluxe 2 stage boost controller and check that out....that's a badass idea. The only thing i don't like about the manual boost valve idea is that you have to tinker with it to change the boost...so you're either balls out kickin ass or puttin around on low boost, or somewhere in between. With that setup you could have it all. It would also be a really cool trick to keep me from getting carried away with the boost :D

Then just to be stupid....wouldn't it be cool to run duel fuel cells in the back with duel pumps and lines....then run a toggle between the two to switch from pump gas to race gas along with the boost levels? You'd go from daily driver to ass kicker instantly...like 2 cars in one.

Kevin Doe
08-25-2007, 01:30 AM
I never understood people runnin "low boost." In all my turbo cars I set the boost at one level, HIGH.

24 psi on my 2.3T Ranger.
28 psi on my DSM.

Why would I want to cruise around with less power than the engine is capable of. Don't forget, your right foot isn't an on/off switch, you can modulate the throttle too!

MFIELD
08-25-2007, 08:33 AM
+1 I have done the same thing on my turbocoupe and SVO. You just need to listen to whats going on and be a little smart.

BIGHONKEY
08-25-2007, 08:56 AM
MBC=kaboom i had a boost spike.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-25-2007, 02:52 PM
MBC=kaboom i had a boost spike.

Can you elaborate on that a little? What controller where you using and why did it spike high enough to blow it?

Foxxx5oh
08-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Ive been toying with the idea of running a tbird boost conrtol solinoid and wiring it into my trans brake button to launch off a lower boost then let it rip going downtrack.
David, I have one thats out of a turbo coupe if you want to stop by and see how it works without having to remove yours.
I dont think it does anything other than raise the boost level more that what the stock spring is rated at EG: its not variable.
Im not sure if my muddled thoughts make any sence or not, but I just woke up.

the SVO has the same thing, limits boost to 8-10 PSI for regular then goes to 14-16 PSI on premium

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Well i just got myself a spare T3....what's the big deal about the T3-T4 hybrid? I'm guessing it's half and half of each, but can someone elaborate on how it's built, can i do it, where do i get the T4 parts, etc etc?

I'm gonna rebuild this one and probably swap it in, then the other one coming out will probably get the hybrid deal depending on cost and all that.

Ranger50
08-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Well i just got myself a spare T3....what's the big deal about the T3-T4 hybrid? I'm guessing it's half and half of each, but can someone elaborate on how it's built, can i do it, where do i get the T4 parts, etc etc?

I'm gonna rebuild this one and probably swap it in, then the other one coming out will probably get the hybrid deal depending on cost and all that.

The hybrid T3/T4 uses the exhaust side of the T3 with the T4 compressor side. It does this to take advantage of a motor's inability to have the necessary exhaust energy or funky design layouts to spin the larger, heavier, or common T4 exhaust side.

Your best bet is just take your spare T3 to a reputable turbo rebuilder and specify you want a T3/T4 hybrid and go from there. This is VERY common, or was common, with the GN's years ago because of the funky 3 bolt flange the GN's had from the factory.

Brian

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-27-2007, 02:46 PM
The hybrid T3/T4 uses the exhaust side of the T3 with the T4 compressor side. It does this to take advantage of a motor's inability to have the necessary exhaust energy or funky design layouts to spin the larger, heavier, or common T4 exhaust side.

Your best bet is just take your spare T3 to a reputable turbo rebuilder and specify you want a T3/T4 hybrid and go from there. This is VERY common, or was common, with the GN's years ago because of the funky 3 bolt flange the GN's had from the factory.

Brian

Can you recommend anyone local to do this? I was looking at some DIY rebuild kits that sounded pretty idiot proof...no balance necessary and all that. Also what should i expect to pay for the hybrid build?

dedpedal
08-27-2007, 04:31 PM
513 290 8285. I think his name is James. He works for a place in cincinnati but does some side work.

WhiteT
08-27-2007, 09:11 PM

Brian

Hey, we all still use the funky 3 bolt design:bigthumb

Listen to Kevin Doe on this one. I've been helping my buddy out on his tc. We bypassed the factory controller and use only a mbc. So far we have rock steady control at 18 psi. We plan on turning it up to 21 psi at E20 Friday.

I also use a manual boost control on my Buick. Right now I'm at 27 psi and am working on a tune to go 33+ psi:cool1:

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey, we all still use the funky 3 bolt design:bigthumb

Listen to Kevin Doe on this one. I've been helping my buddy out on his tc. We bypassed the factory controller and use only a mbc. So far we have rock steady control at 18 psi. We plan on turning it up to 21 psi at E20 Friday.

I also use a manual boost control on my Buick. Right now I'm at 27 psi and am working on a tune to go 33+ psi:cool1:

There's a guy i keep seeing in Eastgate in a GNX...i think he said he's on 25psi. That car is sooooo sweet. I believe he said it's #78.

WhiteT
08-28-2007, 11:27 PM
There's a guy i keep seeing in Eastgate in a GNX...i think he said he's on 25psi. That car is sooooo sweet. I believe he said it's #78.

Did it have Kentucky plates? I am pretty sure I know who it is. That car has a very nice paint job on it:bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Did it have Kentucky plates? I am pretty sure I know who it is. That car has a very nice paint job on it:bigthumb

I don't recall...i didn't pay much attention to the plates :D

I saw him again last weekend in the same spot but i got caught by a light and by the time i got out he vanished.

In related news i got my manual boost controller :D

It's hooked up and running 16psi but i've gotta baby it with the slipping clutch and it needs an intercooler before it sees any more than that.