PDA

View Full Version : Concrete work

Holly
08-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Does anyone on here do concrete work or know of someone who does? I was going to check the yellow pages, but I thought a nice SBZ reference might work better. ;)

I need my steps fixed going up to my front door. They need some concrete pumped underneath them. The flood of 97 caused this (the water was up over the steps), and it just keeps getting worse. My insurance lady has me on some "Ohio Fair Plan" program right now, she can't even insure me because of these hazardous steps ($300 more a year). She came down Monday and told me I need to get them fixed, soon.

PM me or just let me know if you have any contacts. I'd surely appreciate it.

dedpedal
08-23-2007, 10:59 PM
What about building wood steps over top of the concrete? Is it even possible?

MrsAPE
08-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Don't know anyone. But you know we are here to help if you need it!!

Holly
08-24-2007, 08:43 AM
What about building wood steps over top of the concrete? Is it even possible?

Yes, I could do that, but I want the steps fixed. It would be cheaper, according to my neighbor, who is a union carpenter. He said he would build the deck for me, but he said to check the prices of the concrete work, he seems to think I'd do better going that way.

08 Vette
08-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Holly, A buddy of mine does concrete work, I'll have him call you!

NXcoupe
08-24-2007, 09:02 AM
I know the Hulk does concrete work. PM him with your needs.

Holly
08-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Holly, A buddy of mine does concrete work, I'll have him call you!

Thanks Tim - give him my cell number.

I know the Hulk does concrete work. PM him with your needs.

I can't find him in the member's list. What is his exact name on here so I can PM him?

Black Hole
08-24-2007, 09:55 AM
I can't find him in the member's list. What is his exact name on here so I can PM him?
93hulk (http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/member.php?u=415)

Holly
08-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks, PM sent. ;) Get back with me Mark!

The girl that sits next to me also has knows someone that does concrete, so she is sending him down to my house to give me an estimate.

If all else fails, I will try to talk my brother-in-law into building me a deck, he's pretty cheap on labor. :lol:

Holly
09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Does anyone KNOW anyone that does concrete work?

I'm not having much luck finding anybody to even look at them.

I guess I'll hit the yellow pages? :confused: It's not like I want or can afford to have this done, it's a MUST, according to my insurance lady. She says my steps are hazardous and won't insure my house, she has me going through the Ohio Fair Plan right now, which sucks! Plus it's a lot more expensive than it would be just going through her.

beefcake
09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
i'm looking for someone to help extend my driveway a bit too, no luck either

PKFIRE
09-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I value no help right now but if the person who did my Mom's driveway, front walkway, and back yard didn't pass away a couple of years ago I would of recomend him. He charged about 2.5 times less than anyone she got quoted from and did a awesome job.

Good luck on finding someone.

If I hear about anyone good for a decent price I'll let you know.

Black92LX
09-12-2007, 11:47 AM
we had a similar problem caused by tree roots and not flooding. We opted to build a deck.
Adds a lot more to the house along with more usable space. That would be my suggestion.
Concrete work is not cheap if you know someone that can build a deck it may be cheaper.

bobtsgt
09-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Ray's buddy did our driveway and it turned out great. He turned out to be the best price out of 4 different bids. I would have him do work for me again.

Holly
09-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Ray's buddy did our driveway and it turned out great. He turned out to be the best price out of 4 different bids. I would have him do work for me again.

Can I get a number for him?

bobtsgt
09-12-2007, 02:07 PM
I lost Ronnie's number. PM orangedemon331 he has his number.

Holly
09-12-2007, 03:19 PM
I just got out the yellow pages and called 6 different companies, 3 of whom I left messages for. I'll let you guys know who gives the best "free estimate". Those are the only ones I called (ones that said free estimate!).

R825OH
09-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Concrete guys are hard to get for some reason, if its not a big job none of them even want to deal with it. Holly you might have more luck w/ a handyman type of co.

DeckerEnt
09-12-2007, 03:58 PM
You need the steps jacked up and then shored up. Is there any way a few floor jacks, some 2X4s and a few bags of concrete could fix it? I am sure we could rig something.
Keith

TARDY
09-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Holly you have a pm

Holly
09-13-2007, 08:42 AM
You need the steps jacked up and then shored up. Is there any way a few floor jacks, some 2X4s and a few bags of concrete could fix it? I am sure we could rig something.
Keith

That is what I was hoping for, but I had some local guys stop by last night and I was not crazy about their "idea" or their price! :screwy: They want to totally jackhammer all the old concrete out and pour new. Why? I have no clue, the concrete slab is in great shape, so are the steps, they are just slanted a little and keep getting worse. They did mention building a deck over the steps. I am going to call the two numbers that peeps on here sent me and get some other estimates/ideas. I hate dealing with all this crap by myself. :(

Black Hole
09-13-2007, 09:19 AM
That is what I was hoping for, but I had some local guys stop by last night and I was not crazy about their "idea" or their price! :screwy: They want to totally jackhammer all the old concrete out and pour new. Why? I have no clue, the concrete slab is in great shape, so are the steps, they are just slanted a little and keep getting worse. They did mention building a deck over the steps. I am going to call the two numbers that peeps on here sent me and get some other estimates/ideas. I hate dealing with all this crap by myself. :(
I'm no expert, but think about this for a second...

If the concrete slab is in great shape then why are the steps falling and getting worse? There has to be erosion or some settling going on underneath that's causing the steps to move. While just pouring concrete on top should prove to be a temporary fix, the added weight will most likely cause the same effect again.

I have this same problem with my front steps up from the driveway. Water pressure has pushed the wall out and moved my steps. A previous owner attempted to just add more concrete on top, but that has now moved as well.

I'm not going to fix the wall until it falls, but I may reframe the concrete and pour over it again. I don't like doing that, but it should prove much cheaper than repouring everything again.

Holly
09-13-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm no expert, but think about this for a second...

If the concrete slab is in great shape then why are the steps falling and getting worse? There has to be erosion or some settling going on underneath that's causing the steps to move. While just pouring concrete on top should prove to be a temporary fix, the added weight will most likely cause the same effect again.

Oh believe me, I have thought about this, and got LOTS of opinions and ideas from people. The steps are falling because of the Flood of 97, it was 4 feet in my house (we didn't live there at the time). The guy that built my house didn't put "rubar" (or whatever that concrete wire stuff is called) under the concrete slab, which is why it is starting to slant (same thing with the steps).

I just want somebody to jack up the concrete that is there and put some new underneath to make it level, which is what 80% of the people I have talked to have suggested. It's just finding somebody to do it..........

Black Hole
09-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Oh believe me, I have thought about this, and got LOTS of opinions and ideas from people. The steps are falling because of the Flood of 97, it was 4 feet in my house (we didn't live there at the time). The guy that built my house didn't put "rubar" (or whatever that concrete wire stuff is called) under the concrete slab, which is why it is starting to slant (same thing with the steps).
Rebar.

Basically it's what I said before.....there's erosion under the concrete and it's sinking/sliding.

My wall/steps are sliding....that's why I would just re-frame the steps and pour over top to give everything a consistant look.

I just want somebody to jack up the concrete that is there and put some new underneath to make it level, which is what 80% of the people I have talked to have suggested.
That's what I would do.

glassman
09-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Holly I will try to call again about the skid steer. He doesn't like to awnser my call becuse he thinks I am calling about $ he owes me. Anyhow I know a few people with skid steers I will call them also.

Holly
09-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I came home yesterday to another "nasty gram" from my insurance company telling me to have the stuff fixed within 30 days or they were cancelling me. :mad:

I have to get some tree limbs trimmed on the right side of the house - my good buddy Matt Johnson is going to try to get Kevin Shaber over with his chainsaw to take care of that problem. They did the tree in the back with Chuck Carter back in the spring, and they did a great job!

The steps/concrete platform - I have 3 estimates and they all fall within $100 of each other, so I am going with the "professional" company that is licensed and insured, they are fixing them next Saturday.

The only other thing I HAVE to do is get a hand rail going up the four concrete steps (if you have over 3 steps, insurance says you have to have a hand rail). I have my best friend's boyfriend doing that for me, so everything is falling into place, finally. I can get the insurance lady off my a$$ and have some home improvements done in the process, something Vinny and I were working on (refinance of our house) when he passed away. We were going to get some extra $$ in the refinance process to get these things done, but I could not afford to do that on my own, I would not have been able to afford my house payment (living on one salary sucks!).

So thanks for all the help, suggestions, and comments, I truly appreciate them. You guys are the best!

R825OH
09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Sweeet, glad everything is coming together Holly:)