PDA

View Full Version : Valtrain noise

Steves LX
08-27-2007, 11:03 AM
:mad:I had my motor rebuilt back in January and when I put everything back together I had valvetrain noise. More pronounced when you were driving or reving the motor than when it was just idleing. I had stock 302 block, pistons, and rods. The heads I had on there were stock E7TE's that were ported and had a valve job. The cam is a 303F cam. I changed lifters a couple of differen't time and still noisy. I was running the stock pedestal mounted steel rockers. So a couple of weeks ago I swapped the heads out and I put a set of GT40P's on and put the rockers off of my E7's along with 6.272 pushrods on them and it is still noisy. So now I am starting to wonder exactly why I am having this locomotive ticking sound. I originally thought it was the E7's I had on there but since its still there I am clueless. The car is running 12's on motor so I can't complain to much but the noise is agravating and sounds like crap. Any ideas as to what this is? Does anyone else have this problem or am I the only one?

Stangman
08-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Steve, didnt you tell me that the block was decked and the e7's had been milled?

Steves LX
08-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Yes I did

dedpedal
08-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Sounds like you need to shim the rockers to account for the distance you lost with the milling and decking. Also, what valve covers are you using? The cast alum ones dampen the valvetrain noise a bit more than stamped steel ones do.

Grimace5.0
08-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Did you check piston to valve clearance? With the block being decked and the heads milled it may be close...

Stangman
08-30-2007, 09:56 PM
I remember Steve telling me that the pistons were cut down to prevent that, because it would have had that issue... but now, he has the GT40P's, which are stock, no mill work... yet he still has the noise, not as pronounced, He and I think it had a lot to do with the E7 heads...