PDA

View Full Version : NMRA kinda lame this year...

91lxnos
09-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Just me or was the event less then spectaculor????? I mean 3 cars in Pro 5.0
It semed as if the stands were empty and the vendor/swap area was lame. I can judge an event by how many banners are left hanging and on Sunday there were alot left. Don't get me wrong I had fun but has NMRA shot itself in the foot and people going elswhere ie; entry fees, rules,ect......World ford in Indy was the same feeling. just my .02

juiced347
09-04-2007, 03:14 PM
was the same at milan to

91lxnos
09-04-2007, 03:20 PM
What was the entry to Wild street at Columbus?????

bobtsgt
09-04-2007, 03:20 PM
I know at $20 a person just to spectate they should have raked in the dough. I worked the gate most of Saturday and some of Sunday and I couldn't tell you all the tickets I tore. The stands did seem kinda empty but I guess most people just walked around for the most part.

KenB
09-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Not sure how it was from a spectator, but the heads up car counts were really good besides Pro and maybe FS. The NMRA has closer competition then it ever has in it's heads up class, some very close racing.

The large bracket turnout really kills it for the spectator I would think.

todd86
09-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Not sure how it was from a spectator, but the heads up car counts were really good besides Pro and maybe FS. The NMRA has closer competition then it ever has in it's heads up class, some very close racing.

I THOUGHT THE BRACKET RACING WOULD NEVER END!!!! I CAME TO SEE HEADS-UP RACING AND WAS STUCK WITH 6 STRAIGHT HOURS OF BRACKETS 1,2,3, AND A Y-BLOCK SHOOTOUT! WTF IS A Y BLOCK? SLOW JUNK IF U ASK ME!

91lxnos
09-04-2007, 03:40 PM

Events are always better when you win!!!!! LOL:bigthumb

JonS
09-04-2007, 03:43 PM
They were killing the spectators with the bracket cars. We stayed for the third round of qualifying Saturday night and there was nobody left in the stands. Another thing that sucked was the far side bleachers were closed off. You can't see very well from the pit side. Columbus always seems to suck , the track is too far from the stands. Every year I say I am not going back next year, but I always end up there.:lol:

cstreu1026
09-04-2007, 03:44 PM
The midway did suck and I heard the swap meet area was lame. I had hopes of picking up a set of headlights but didn't really see anything other than 1 set of stock replacements. One of track personel I talked to told that they sold one of the biggest numbers of tickets ever for the event.

5.0calypso93lx
09-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Makes me feel a little better that I missed out this year. I remember this being one of my favorite things of the year, but seems like ever since they moved it to september, instead of may, it has gone downhill...

RIXXX93GT
09-04-2007, 04:00 PM
They advertise this huge Ford Expo swap meet.....I have never seen anything more than 6 pickups with mostly pre 60's junk as far as parts. I agree the Bracket racing was excessive and have no clue why they would offer buy backs for all the bracket classes. Whats up with the Y-block group, they get their own dang class? The guy in the t-bird that won in y-block, also ran in B2, and B3 im pretty sure. Heck he may have run in True street also. Guess he had to make some cash so he could buy a new rear window. The car show seemed pretty stout this year and might I say you guys did a bang up job coordinating things.

Timido
09-04-2007, 04:19 PM
If you are looking for parts go to the speed shop or C-bus swap meet. I think they should have ran the heads up stuff early. Waiting till 8pm to run the last qualifying round sucks.

Mista Bone
09-04-2007, 04:36 PM
"Hey, lets make everyone sit in the foil lined oven in the heat of the day!!!!!!"

Best place to stand the weekend before was by the burnout box, just stay outside the white lines.

Sharad
09-04-2007, 05:10 PM
yeah, if you follow the classes, it was actually an exciting race. I'm sure spectator count was down because of the US nationals though.

dedpedal
09-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Dedpedal Racing hasnt been to a race this year, and it looks like we wont be next year either. face it, we know how to liven up a race. just look at Indy this past weekend, we were there and it was pretty damn exciting.

88ssp
09-04-2007, 08:23 PM
FFW Norwalk this year sucked bad, too. There were exactly 0 cars in Pro. Hardly any vendors, tons and tons of bracket racing, etc. Of course it was scheduled the same weekend as the NMRA/NMCA thing.

Xowner
09-04-2007, 11:15 PM
reason the swap meet area sucks so bad is they stuck it too us last year. Me and my grandpa go and set up and they charge you like 40 for a space all week end and then charge you the gate fee every day so it wasnt worth it just to clear some stuff outta the garage

tmotorsports
09-07-2007, 06:45 AM
I said when they switched the columbus race to labor day weekend in conjunction with the Ford Expo that it was going to suck I had quit going to Ford Expo years ago.Well I went the 1st year of it 3 years ago and guess what?I was right it SUCKED!!!! have not been back since.They need to move it back.

clairstewart
09-08-2007, 09:04 PM
I agree that it sucked that the last round of qualifying wasn't until late Saturday night for heads up cars. I have to tell you though, the bracket racers are what keep the races coming back though. They sure don't make a ton of money on heads up classes even though that's where a lot of the excitement is. The payday for NMRA comes with high car counts, which come mostly from Bracket and Open Comp classes.

I also agree that the "feeling" at the NMRA races aren't what they used to be. For me, it's partly because I am not tearing my back bumper off on an 8 second pass anymore, but all in all, I think the economy has taken it's toll on people traveling to races these days. I remember 15 years ago it was nothing to take off and drive to Florida or Georgia to go to a Fun Ford Weekend race because it was where the action was and it wasn't that much for 3 or 4 buddies to pitch in for gas money and go.

One other though... I also think that people aren't as inclined to drive out to the NMRA race now that they can watch the whole thing online too. I think the whole "NMRATV" and live coverage is awesome when you are sitting at home, but I truly think it has hurt spectator count.

Timido
09-08-2007, 09:19 PM
You figure for me to run my car in a Index race my weekend costs to race at C-bus.

$100 Entry
$35 weekend pass for Jaylynn
$80 Truck gas
$55 Race gas
$120 2 nights in Hotel

We bring a cooler with all our drinks we Cook out at the track on a mini Grill.

So for me to run a race it costs about $400 Just to get there. A win for me this year would be about 1700 $750 plus contengency.

No get into a heads up car where the tires dont last as long, Nitrous Fills, the Race gas costs more, Alot more spare parts upkeep.

Do the same race at Atco my cost goes up about $200 in gas to get there and anouther night in the hotel.

slvr87cpe
09-09-2007, 09:39 AM
all in all i had a good time there ..I was one of those "bracket cars" I went there very conservative ,camping out ,cooler of food,etc, I can say that I do not think they should have "buy backs" with the event being as big as it is if your out your out because there was soo many bracketcars then you go and throw the buybacks in there ... I look forward to attending next years event to run open comp.... now that i understand the rules of O.C. :bigthumb

KenB
09-09-2007, 10:20 AM
all in all i had a good time there ..I was one of those "bracket cars" I went there very conservative ,camping out ,cooler of food,etc, I can say that I do not think they should have "buy backs" with the event being as big as it is if your out your out because there was soo many bracketcars then you go and throw the buybacks in there ... I look forward to attending next years event to run open comp.... now that i understand the rules of O.C. :bigthumb

Next year?! why not go to the best race of the year, Bowling Green!

Holly
09-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Next year?! why not go to the best race of the year, Bowling Green!

What weekend is that? It is the best race of the year, I've always have a good time down there, although I'm not sure I'm in to the camping scene anymore.

slvr87cpe
09-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Ive ben to B.G twice and would have loved to have gone this year :bigthumb
p.s ..Ken ..kick some major ashhh there bud ...see if the farmer can make it 2 in a row :bigthumb

Timido
09-09-2007, 09:03 PM
4 in a Row!

1 Record
1 Back up the Record
1 #1 Quilifyer
1 Win the event

Bring home the Ring Farmer!

Carl
09-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Dedpedal Racing hasnt been to a race this year, and it looks like we wont be next year either. face it, we know how to liven up a race. just look at Indy this past weekend, we were there and it was pretty damn exciting.

Does W/S count?? I hauled the coupe down to Bradenton this year...

dedpedal
09-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Does W/S count?? I hauled the coupe down to Bradenton this year...

I was meaning more of a group of us. I know you did your best, but being the lone gunslinger in a crowd that size is more than even I could do on my best day.

Carl
09-10-2007, 09:06 AM
It was a daunting task, the lil coupe just wasn't up for it. Maybe next year when I get a little more work done to it it will end differently.

Holly
09-10-2007, 09:43 AM
I was meaning more of a group of us. I know you did your best, but being the lone gunslinger in a crowd that size is more than even I could do on my best day.

Maybe Kevin will have a mustang to drive in Bowling Green this year. :confused2

dedpedal
09-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Maybe Kevin will have a mustang to drive in Bowling Green this year. :confused2
I truely doubt that Ill be doing anything other than spectating this year and thats if I even go.