PDA

View Full Version : Going to look at my first house, any home improvement sites?

5.0calypso93lx
09-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Hey guys, going to look at a house tomorrow, and had a few questions. I've seen the outside several times, and its pretty rough to say the least. I'm planning on it being a long term project house that I'm going to live in while I'm working on it.

Its a 3 family house in Norwood, south of the lateral and east of montgomery, off of smith road. I haven't been inside yet, but I will definately be repainting the outside, doing some landscaping, fixing the front porch, and it will also need new gutters. I plan on converting it to a two family, and renting out the other half. It has 3 stories plus a full unfinished basement.

It looks like it may need about $20-25k into the house. The big thing that I really like about the house is the detached two car garage.

Like I said though, it will need LOTS of work, so I'm looking for any good home improvement sites, that deal with anything and everything that has to do with homes.

Thanks!

Timido
09-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Make sure you have a home inspection done.

Grey Wolf
09-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Make sure you have a home inspection done.

+100!!!

Usually I just search for the specific project on google as the larger sites sometimes do not cater to the larger jobs. But... thisoldhouse.com, diy.net, and hometime.com have some decent info. If you haven't done much home improvement before, it can be daunting, but just take your time. As with anything, the more you do it the better you are. You can't be afraid to jump in and try it. Good luck.

Timido
09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
One thing I found is it is somtimes more cost effective to pay $$ to have some things done.

wild87stang
09-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Good luck man me and jackie are closing on our house the end of this month would have been closer but i just started at ak steel on the 20th and they want 4 paychecks so we will be closing the end of the month and getting married in october! And i would really reccomend the full house inspection and with the basment i would get a mold inspection also alot of headaces that you could avoid! Good luck !

Silver Bullet
09-04-2007, 09:33 PM
A home inspection is a must! Go to Home Depot or Lowes, they have plenty of books on the home improvements.;)

331TwistedWedge
09-04-2007, 10:04 PM
first house or not, i would get a house out of the city ... you want property value to rise, not lower ... if you're going to put forth the effort in rebuilding, make it worth your time & money :bigthumb

Black Hole
09-04-2007, 10:24 PM
What street off of Smith?

A buddy of mine lives on Marsh...

Also, make sure you look around before deciding on a house.....especially if it needs a bunch of work. I was rather picky about what I wanted and the areas that I wanted to live in and I still walked through 50 or 60 houses before I bought mine. ;)

89notch
09-04-2007, 10:47 PM
I would get some comps from others homes in the area and see what its going to be worth when its fixed

BUHBYY
09-06-2007, 08:50 PM
james pm me I have a ton of advice and alot of hookups