PDA

View Full Version : Car sounds and runs like poo

Steves LX
09-11-2007, 09:28 AM
O.K. I will make this as short as possible. Last Thursday I decided to put my roller rockers back on. These are GT40P heads with non adjustable rockers. I also changed out my lifters because I had a couple that were one reason or another were not pumping up. All I did when I changed the rockers was pulled the factory one off and I put my rollers on. I did not go thru the whole base cicle of the cam deal or nothing since these are non adjustable and I was doing a one for one swap. So I drive the car on Friday and it sounds like crap. So this weekend I put my factory rockers back on and it still sounds like crap. But the car still had plenty of power both low end and top end. So I tear it all back apart and low and behold I guess I didn't tighten down my lifter girdle because the 2 bolts that hold it down were about 3 threads shy of coming out. So just to rule the lifters out I put my other ones back in minus the coulpe that wouldn't pump up and put it all back together last night and start it and its still noisey. I have always had some valvetrain noise but this is super noisy and you can hear a louder tick that is consistent with the lope of the cam. You can only hear it at idle. So I go and drive the car and hammer it down and once you get up into the higher RPM's like 400 or higher it starts jerking and missing real bad. So I am clueless as to where to start now. I ran the car with the valve cover off on the side that seemed to be super noisy and really can't pin point where its coming from. But it just seems funny that after the lifter girdle was lose and I put the rollers on all my problems started. And now I fix all that and its still not better.

Pitviper1996
09-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Well Even though they're non- adjustable you still have to tighten them just right or you will have to much or to little clearance for the lifters.

Just a backyard redneck way just tighten them down until snug the turn it back 1/4 turn should be right where you need it.

Also the was it new pushrods or lifter you put it?!? if it was pushrods were they the same size as the rest of them? stupid question but you never know.

As for the miss you have one or more of them to tight it sounds like to me.

Steves LX
09-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Yes same pushrods and lifters that have been in there. I just pulled the cam out today and of course it seems to look O.K. I really dont know what to look for, but all the lobes look the same. So I give up.

R825OH
09-12-2007, 07:11 PM
You could always turn up the stereo:D

kennebellcobra
09-12-2007, 09:11 PM
I would do a compression test. I think with your f-cam and 1.7 rockers on p-heads maybe you bent a valve.

Steves LX
09-12-2007, 09:43 PM
I am running 1.6 rockers. Both my rollers and the factory are 1.6

ibstrokin
09-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Try tightening the rockers down on the back side of the cam. There is a specific method to setting bolt down rockers, but I can't remember. You may want to pm chad393na, he probably knows.