PDA

View Full Version : IAC and idle ?

MFIELD
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Ok I'm going to take a hammer to this IAC solenoid. My car kept stalling so I got a new solenoid and reset the idle per mitchel online and now it runs about 2200. Sometimes its ok and then the next time you come to a stop back up, you can hit the throttle and it will reset but then back up. So now the question is can I just unplug it and set the rpm up with the screw mand then readjust the TPS and be ok? Please help me before I make alot more work for myself :mad:

331TwistedWedge
09-11-2007, 04:10 PM
i have always set the screw up to where the car would idle, without a surge (1000-1200) rpms ... after that i would drive it for 20-30 minutes, i would come back and set the idle back down to 650-800 (wherever i could get a good idle) ...

this is anytime i went with a new combo, or had the battery cables off for an extensive amount of time ... i see a lot of people have surging issues, i never came across any issues no longer than 20-30 minutes ...

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-11-2007, 10:15 PM
The way it was explained to me (setting idle that is) was to bring the engine to running temp and shut off, then unplug the IAC and start the car (this is easier with 2 people as the car might not wanna run). Adjust the idle screw so it's idling at about 700rpm. Then using a voltmeter, probe the wires coming from the TPS and adjust the TPS to .95 volts (it's REALLY touchy). Turn the car off, plug in the IAC and start it back up. It'll likely start up kinda high but give it a sec and the IAC/TPS system should adjust and it should fall back down to about 1000RPM idle after a few seconds.

We just did this on my Merkur and it dialed the idle in perfect....unfortunately i've still got a F'in idle surge :mad: probably a vacuum leak i haven't found yet.

Ryan218
09-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Ok I'm going to take a hammer to this IAC solenoid. My car kept stalling so I got a new solenoid and reset the idle per mitchel online and now it runs about 2200. Sometimes its ok and then the next time you come to a stop back up, you can hit the throttle and it will reset but then back up. So now the question is can I just unplug it and set the rpm up with the screw mand then readjust the TPS and be ok? Please help me before I make alot more work for myself :mad:

how i did mine was...put the new IAC on then kept it unplugged...it jumped to 4k after start and stayed there...shut it off then turned it back on..jumped to 4k then down to 1,500...then move the TPS till it idels where you want...mine idles at 1,100 in Park or Neutral...i want to get it to like 800 but i cant get it to idle any lower...in drive or any forward/reverse gear it idles at 800-900?