PDA

View Full Version : Explorer Throttle body

Stangman
09-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Ive got a TB off a 5.0 exploder, now ive been workin on it off and on all day just messin with it to get it to be compatible for a fox...

What i am runnin in to is the crankcase ventillation elbow is non-existent on this TB, so where the hole SHOULD be, i drilled and loc-tited the elbow in place... thats taken care of...

Now, the next thing im runnin into is the Throttle position sensor, the explorer bit is larger and the plug faces the intake elbow, which is also a completely different plug, now what ive done is stuck the TPS from the mustang TB in the vice and drilled the holes oblong to bolt it on the explorer TB, it works i guess, faces the opposite direction, but should read the same...

The worst problem i face is the throttle linkage, the linkage between the two are completely different.. and i cant change the the rod assembly that goes up thru the TB, the mustang piece is too short and where the butterfly plate attaches, its not large enough...

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

dedpedal
09-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Buy one for a mustang.
I know theres a way to make it work, but I dont remember what it is. I think Timido does tho. PM him if he doesnt reply to this.

Timido
09-11-2007, 08:43 PM
If I remember I removed the throttle linkage thing welded on a stock mustang linkage thing. I butchered the T.P Sensor to work. Spent a couple hours creating this monster. After about 5 passes the weld failed at the linkage. I ended up buying a new one. Long story short I wished I would have bought a new TB. The Gt40p heads Motorsport headers even the Explorer intake went on with a few easy modifications. But that damn Throttle body was worthless.

Stangman
09-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Well Kev, I came inside and got away from it for a moment, posted this, ate dinner, and went back out and took a look at it again. I revised the TPS mounting, drilled out the holes a lil more and turned it the correct direction. I also noticed that the rod and the bracket are not 1 piece, it appears that the rod is pressed thru the TB and has a rectangle shape pressed over the bracket... so i lightly grinded on the rectangle head until it was flush with the bracket, knocked it thru, switched rods, rewound the return spring (several times :mad: ) pushed the explorer rod thru the mustang throttle bracket and welded it up.... just like a factory 65mm TB now! :D

Now if i can get the stock upper intake to give up its death grip on the EGR space so i can fab up a delete bracket and get it on my GT40 intake...

Timido, how hard of a beating will the welded bracket take? it APPEARS solid... but you obviously know what happens...

Timido
09-11-2007, 09:11 PM
If it can be broken we will break it. You results may vary. I just tack welded it up and thought it was fine. Sounds like you have the swap covered.

Stangman
09-12-2007, 12:06 AM
I didnt tack mine, I laid down a decent bead, I'm hopin it holds...

Swiller of Beer
09-12-2007, 05:55 PM
I took the throttle shaft out of a stock Mustang tb, modified the shaft to accept the bigger butterfly and installed it in the explorer tb. My tb had a crankcase vent elbow and I just rotated it to the proper location.

Stangman
09-12-2007, 11:50 PM
ya see, i thought i could do that too... but the throttle shaft once in the explorer TB was too short... and the o-rings didnt even go where they should have, but its done now, i had to file down the tip of the throttle rod because once the TPS was tightened down... the throttle wouldnt snap shut :lol:

How exactly did you go about modifying that throttle shaft of yours?