PDA

View Full Version : Having problems with my T-56 swap into a fox...

5.0calypso93lx
09-13-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm running into issues trying to get everything together for my T-56 swap.

My goal was to keep the stock adapter plate, and relocate the pivot ball from the 7 o' clock to the 9 o' clock position by moving the pivot ball from where it is now, to this position:

http://img2.putfile.com/main/9/25217201958.jpg

I was going to try and drill it and tap it today, but ran into some problems.

1) The second available area where I'm pointing, is recessed farther back than where the existing location is now.

2) Even if I were to successfully relocate the pivot ball, there is no slot for the clutch fork to stick out of the adapter plate:

http://img2.putfile.com/main/9/25520460479.jpg

The reason I am even trying to do this, is so I can have the clutch fork in the 9 o' clock position, like the stock T-5 is. Would it be ok to just leave the pivot ball and clutch fork in the 7 o' clock position?

Do I need a longer clutch cable?

If I use the stock adapter plate, can I still use the Mcleod SFI bellhousing? Do they make one for a 302/351 that has the slot at 7 instead of 9?

I don't even have all the parts yet and I'm getting confused!!

http://img2.putfile.com/main/9/25217201956.jpg

theyallslow
09-13-2007, 11:47 PM
it seems like you are having one hell of a time with that. is there a way you could talk to someone on SVT performance with a 95 corba R and see if they can get you pics?

cstreu1026
09-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Maybe I missed something but I don't think someone with a 95 Cobra R would be much help since the car came with a Tremec 3550.

theyallslow
09-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I am sorry, I was not thinking. Is there a car that Ford would have put one in? or better yet still see how another person did it. No point reinventing the wheel.

CAPRISTANG
09-14-2007, 10:54 AM
What are you doing for a bellhousing?? I was told it's a bastard trany only for mod motor's.. Acorrding to Jeg's and Tremec they say there is no bellhouseing for them and the McCloud will not work.. Did you get a good deal on this tranny? Just wondering

cstreu1026
09-14-2007, 10:59 AM
send a pm to rscoupe. He put a T56 in his vert and may be able to offer some insight.

5.0calypso93lx
09-14-2007, 11:12 AM
What are you doing for a bellhousing?? I was told it's a bastard trany only for mod motor's.. Acorrding to Jeg's and Tremec they say there is no bellhouseing for them and the McCloud will not work.. Did you get a good deal on this tranny? Just wondering

Mcleod makes a bellhousing that will work to mount a T-56 up to a 302/351. I'm waiting on a price from Craig to see how much it is. Several guys over on corral have successfully done this.

Who did you talk to at Tremec that said they don't have a bellhousing that will work? Jeff Chityl is who I have been talking to and looks like I'm going to have to give him another call. He said it will work though. I've also talked to Astro Performance and they said I can make it work.

I got an awesome deal on the trans.

5.0calypso93lx
09-14-2007, 11:14 AM
send a pm to rscoupe. He put a T56 in his vert and may be able to offer some insight.

He's running the D&D kit though, and they use a mechanical speedo'd trans, and a different bellhousing, which they will NOT sell seperately. I've tried calling them, and they won't tell you anything unless you buy their $3,000 kit. I'd be surprised if I have half of that in my setup when I'm done.

CAPRISTANG
09-17-2007, 11:43 AM
It was about 8 month's ago, no name.. We were talkin about this Friday. AJ & Chris. I did find out that Mcloud made one... At least you found some-one to help. Good luck with it. need anything yell...Doug

5.0calypso93lx
09-17-2007, 12:55 PM
It was about 8 month's ago, no name.. We were talkin about this Friday. AJ & Chris. I did find out that Mcloud made one... At least you found some-one to help. Good luck with it. need anything yell...Doug

Thanks Doug, I appreciate it.

nitrous_mike
11-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Have you made any progress on this ? I am debating on doing the same thing and I would also like to do it myself instead of forking out the 3K+ to D&D. I have found it rather hard to get some good DIY info from people other then doing a hack job.

If you do not mind I have a couple of questions that maybe you can answer for me ? I have found a 03/04 cobra trans with a 26 spline upgrade and a DFX clutch for 1800 but I am not sure if that is a good deal or if it would be worth it for a 600+hp car. I am not building this to drag race but for open track/autoX and street use so that makes me wonder if the Viper spec would be better then the Cobra one ? Also if possible can you give me a parts list of what all you have found to work best on this swap if you do not mind.

Thanks, Mike.

Timido
11-18-2007, 08:39 PM
I would contact KenB at ModularDepot about a new line of SFI bellhousings that might fit your car motor and trans. My idea would be to just put a 4.6 dohc blower motor in front of the t-56 problem solved.

5.0calypso93lx
11-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Have you made any progress on this ? I am debating on doing the same thing and I would also like to do it myself instead of forking out the 3K+ to D&D. I have found it rather hard to get some good DIY info from people other then doing a hack job.

If you do not mind I have a couple of questions that maybe you can answer for me ? I have found a 03/04 cobra trans with a 26 spline upgrade and a DFX clutch for 1800 but I am not sure if that is a good deal or if it would be worth it for a 600+hp car. I am not building this to drag race but for open track/autoX and street use so that makes me wonder if the Viper spec would be better then the Cobra one ? Also if possible can you give me a parts list of what all you have found to work best on this swap if you do not mind.

Thanks, Mike.

I don't have everything to do it right now, but I do know exactly what I need.

8750-00 : Modular Bellhousing, SFI approved, fork coming out at the 9 O' Clock position

8705-12 : Mid plate, looks just like the stock 03/04 Cobra piece, but has the other hole tapped for the pivot ball, and has opening for fork to come out at 9 O' clock, instead of 7.

You will need a 26 spline clutch. Also, driveshaft has to be shortened 1.5" for a fox and have the correct yolk installed(28 spline is what I believe the 03/04 cobras are), and you also need to either fab up your own crossmember, or HPM makes a zinc plated bolt in piece:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-93-MUSTANG-5-0-TREMEC-T-56-ZINC-CROSSMEMBER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ0 16QQitemZ260134084172QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I'm trying to get the part number for this crossmember so I can get it through Craig, but the guys at AMP won't tell me.

Also, the 03/04 Cobra transmissions are electronic speedometer's and the stock fox ones are mechanical. In my case, I'm just going with a Florida 5.0 style cluster, with an electronic speedometer, but I hear that there is a company called Abbott who makes a converter to make it work with a stock fox mechanical speedo. Do a search on corral.

Over on corral, there is a guy Fox400, who has the exact same setup as I'm going with, and was able to run BBK 1 5/8" long tubes, and I am going to give that a shot.

I would think that with the 26spline upgraded input shaft, and a nice clutch like that, the trans should be ok with 600+hp, it mainly depends on the torque the car will be making. I see tons of 03/04 cobra's with more than 600hp and they are doing ok.

I think thats a pretty good deal though, depending on the mileage of the trans. Does it come with a shifter? Mine is a 00'R t-56, with the 2.97 first gear and 31 spline output, and it only had 2,000 miles on it(looks brand new, I'd be suprised if it had that many miles) and a steeda tri ax shifter for well under $1,500.

nitrous_mike
11-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks, I just got word back on the trans it is 2k for the T56 with 26 spline input shaft, flywheel, 2 Centerforce DFX clutches, one with 2-3k miles and the other with only 800 miles and new TOB and a adjustable clutch quadrant. And it comes with a Pro 5.0 shifter with a hurst handle and white shift ball. If I do get this I may be able to sell some of the stuff off my buddy that has an 04 cobra so I can get some of the cash back.

I really want to do this but I do not want to wind up spending more then what the D&D kit will be. I have been trying to shop around for a trans but its hard to find them, at least for me it is. I really do not want to do a TKO600 since they are so clunky but eh if it comes down to be thousands cheaper I may have to.

5.0calypso93lx
11-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks, I just got word back on the trans it is 2k for the T56 with 26 spline input shaft, flywheel, 2 Centerforce DFX clutches, one with 2-3k miles and the other with only 800 miles and new TOB and a adjustable clutch quadrant. And it comes with a Pro 5.0 shifter with a hurst handle and white shift ball. If I do get this I may be able to sell some of the stuff off my buddy that has an 04 cobra so I can get some of the cash back.

I really want to do this but I do not want to wind up spending more then what the D&D kit will be. I have been trying to shop around for a trans but its hard to find them, at least for me it is. I really do not want to do a TKO600 since they are so clunky but eh if it comes down to be thousands cheaper I may have to.

That doesn't sound too bad. A lot of extras thats for sure.

I'll have AT LEAST a grand, maybe even $11-1200 less in my setup, than a D&D kit with better parts.

I know what you mean about hard to find. I looked around for months until I came across this one, and once I saw it I jumped on it.

The only TKO600 I have driven is my buddies, and I hate it, but I don't think it is all the way adjusted correctly, so it may feel better once everything is in line though. I LOVE the way the T-56's feel in 03/04 Cobra's and ZO6's.

nitrous_mike
11-18-2007, 09:55 PM
The only TKO600 I have driven is my buddies, and I hate it, but I don't think it is all the way adjusted correctly, so it may feel better once everything is in line though. I LOVE the way the T-56's feel in 03/04 Cobra's and ZO6's.

Thats what has me wanting the T56 over the TKO, plus there is still a cool factor to having a 6 speed in a fox.

ibstrokin
11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Pm kennytent, he made the t56 swap in his fox.