PDA

View Full Version : New Sign of a Stroke......Stick out Your Tongue.

kennebellcobra
09-18-2007, 04:07 PM
New Sign of a Stroke.........Stick out Your Tongue.

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters.. S.T.R.

My friend sent this to me and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree. Seriously.. Please read:
STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm, Ingrid passed away.)

She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.
It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.
RECOGNIZING A STROKE
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awaren ess spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
T * Ask the person to T ALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE(Coherently) (i.e. It is sunny out today)
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out theirtongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

Stang849
09-18-2007, 07:38 PM
If its true, its some useful information!!!!

88ssp
09-18-2007, 08:50 PM
It's true. Though I've never heard it that way, all of those things could signify a stroke as could blurred vision, blindness in one eye, unexplained weakness, etc. Of course all of these have to be taken in context. This email is very informative for everyone especially since the cold months are a breeding ground for strokes because as the temp decreases, the blood thickens. Thickened blood can clot and clotting/clotted blood is one of the major causes of strokes.

67Terror
09-18-2007, 08:55 PM
yep its true. in emt class they taught us to use the cincinnati stroke scale which is pretty much the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Stroke_Scale

dedpedal
09-18-2007, 09:11 PM
It's true. Though I've never heard it that way, all of those things could signify a stroke as could blurred vision, blindness in one eye, unexplained weakness, etc. Of course all of these have to be taken in context. This email is very informative for everyone especially since the cold months are a breeding ground for strokes because as the temp decreases, the blood thickens. Thickened blood can clot and clotting/clotted blood is one of the major causes of strokes.

Ive had those things since I was a kid. Sometimes worse than others.

aperacer
09-18-2007, 09:14 PM
keyrock will do the same thing:bigthumb

dedpedal
09-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Actualy, I wasnt being funny for a change. Besides, Keyrock wasnt around back then, it would have been Prager, Goebels, Weideman or Top Hat.

aperacer
09-18-2007, 09:18 PM
burger about the same as top hat

JonS
09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
I read all of that waiting for a punch line.:flipoff::flipoff:

MsBlkramair
09-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Ive had those things since I was a kid. Sometimes worse than others.

Hey Kevin if you are still having these without the beer, you could be having TIA's (transient ischemic attacks) AKA mini-strokes. You might want to get that checked out.

dedpedal
09-18-2007, 10:09 PM
At work, middle of the night... whenever. Usualy accompanied by real bad headaches. Not miagrane style, just really annoying. Ill ask the dr next checkup. I never thought anything about them other than it just being part of life. They pass and I move on.
Ill get it checked tho.

kennebellcobra
09-18-2007, 10:32 PM
I read all of that waiting for a punch line.:flipoff::flipoff:

:dummy::booty:HA HA

Katmandu
09-19-2007, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the tip. :cool2:

Strokes ain't NO JOKE folks.

My (70) yo father-in-law suffered a stroke last month. He's a retired Executive that lived a life of leisure with endless golfing.

He's now basically paralyzed on his entire left-side of his body.

Which brings up another EXTREMELY important point!! If you don't have a Living Will and Durable Healthcare Power-of-Attorney you better do it NOW!!

Remember the Terri Shilo case ? :rolleyes:

firestang70
09-19-2007, 06:42 AM
For more info when a person raises both arms then have pt close both eyes. The affected sides' arm will lower. Not all strokes are reversible with medication and there can be serious side effects. strokes can be difficult sometimes to assess in the field. Sometimes they have TIAs or transient ischemic attacks aka "mini strokes". they can show many symptoms and moments later and act as they did before the TIA began. The pt will think they are fine. TIAs are a big indicator for a possible stroke or CVA. I am sorry to hear about your loss. Thoughts and prayers to the family. When in doubt call 911.