PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal "Four-Eyed" Sin

Sharad
09-20-2007, 07:56 PM
"You can't always get what you want."

That's what they say. I've always wanted a red '93 Cobra. I always thought one day I'd be able to afford one. I've had a couple close calls, but nothing materialized. One time I even painted a GT vibrant red in a longshot attempt to duplicate what I really wanted.

I've had a lot of nice Mustangs over the years. I keep them for a while, fix them up, and then sell them. Invariably, I regret the sale. I wonder if I always sell them because they are never exactly what I want, which is the '93 Cobra?

Lately, I've pondered turning my '86 into a Cobra clone. I know that is THE cardinal sin for the owner of a four-eyed Ford. But you know, I can't sell the car because I've learned that is always a mistake. Plus, the car's super solid underneath, but it's old enough to need some bodywork to spruce up the exterior. It wouldn't be much of a monetary loss to do it up like a cobra instead of restoring it to its original look.

On one hand, a Cobra doesn't make sense because people always want collectible money for those cars, and I know I'd start modding it as soon as I got it. MM suspension, 600rwhp on pump gas, big brakes, forged wheels, etc. On the other hand I could end up spending so much money cloning a cobra, that I could've just bought one outright and kept my '86 as-is.

This thread isn't intended as a poll, or a what should I do thread. I'm just sitting here wondering if anyone else has ever lusted after that one car that you just can't get.

Sharad
09-20-2007, 08:04 PM
This literally makes my heart skip a beat.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/RLFInside.jpg

stroked4eyes
09-20-2007, 08:06 PM
That is sexy!!

Timido
09-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Hell with it do what you want. If I had a clean 86 I would keep it as is. Buy a used hatch 4cl car and go cobra crazy and get a licence plate that says recreation.

Sharad
09-20-2007, 08:19 PM
the '86 as it sits:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/061607001Medium.jpg

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-20-2007, 08:21 PM
You can always sell your car and put it with some cash and get a real Cobra. A clone is a clone and you KNOW what i mean by that....you know you wouldn't be satisfied even if it's a perfect clone. If you're really that in love with owning a Cobra then that one little detail would eat at you forever.

Sharad
09-20-2007, 08:30 PM
you know what? I know what you're saying, and I understand completely. But it's not that I want to own a cobra. I want to own a car that LOOKS like a cobra. I don't care about it's legitimacy. Like I said, I would immediately begin the mods. Basically, my dream would be a (sort of) street legal World Challenge racecar that looks like the car pictured above.

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-20-2007, 08:37 PM
you know what? I know what you're saying, and I understand completely. But it's not that I want to own a cobra. I want to own a car that LOOKS like a cobra. I don't care about it's legitimacy. Like I said, I would immediately begin the mods. Basically, my dream would be a (sort of) street legal World Challenge racecar that looks like the car pictured above.

If that's the case then you could probably trade your GT for a newer body '87+ GT and probably get some cash to boot since it's pretty nice...this would probably save you money in the long run since you really need to do a lot more to the body than you realize if you want a true clone look (windows, window trim, complete interior, nose/rear bumper and side moulding/ground effects,...etc).

On one hand i'm just not a big fan of the 4 eye conversions...but on the other hand i know how it is to want something you can't get...hence the reason i put a Pacecar nose on my coupe. But, then again i couldn't just go out and buy/trade for what i wanted....i had to make it myself since Ford never did it. Then, at the same time, when i see a car like yours, i miss my '85 nose a LOT....maybe not enough to go back since i like mine better, but the grass isn't always that much greener ya know?

Sharad
09-20-2007, 08:39 PM
yeah, and if you've been there done that, I should definitely pay attention to what you're saying. There is that pressure too, ya know? The car is four years away from being a "classic".

A clean red '93 GT would be a good starting point, but they're scarce.

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Ya know, swapping the nose on my car was a love/hate situation kind of thing. On one hand, being a former police car, it has a bit of rarety to it. Then there's being a factory '85 5.0 coupe which is rare as it is. In the end it came down to what i truly would be happy with and what i've always wanted, and really taking what people were saying and either embracing it or ignoring it. I had to stop posting on the SSP groups altogether because they bashed me so hard for it. Then there's the small part of me that's almost hypocritical since i sort of hate nose conversions altogether....but i just look at it like Ford never put this nose on a coupe, and i did keep it a 4 eye, so it's not that bad.

In the end, i always loved the Pacecars and '82 GTs because the nose is IMO the best looking of all the fox Mustangs. But, i've always liked coupes better than hatchs....put the two together and that's what i've got. I can only afford one car (barely at that..lol) so there's no option like buying another car and building it, and i had grown way too attached to the car to part with it and nobody wanted to give me even the selling price of the trany (yet in the same breath they tell me how rare it is and praise it, but nobody would buy it for a decent price? lol).

In a perfect world, i would've restored my '85 to service condition and put the nose on another coupe...but that just wasn't an option.

Holly
09-20-2007, 09:08 PM
"You can't always get what you want."

But if you try sometimes, well you just might find
You get what you need

Ah, you can't always get a-what you want
No, no baby

You can't always get a-what you want
Tellin' you right now

I thought I'd sing a little for you Sharad (lyrics.com). :lol:

But it's true, you can't always get what you want. :bangwall:

I think my Ambien is kicking in. :blink:

Sharad
09-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Holly, that song was running through my head as I typed out the first post. Great minds think alike! ;)

PonymanfiveO
09-20-2007, 09:13 PM
leave that poor car alone!

you butcher it up and I will slap you with a carp!

R825OH
09-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Man thats a nice GT you should keep it and get a Cobra. Hey were gonna be in Somerset Sat you gonna be around ?

Sharad
09-20-2007, 09:20 PM
I do like this one:

http://image24.webshots.com/24/0/83/97/31108397OuEJGcEeMy_ph.jpg

And yeah, I'll be around this weekend. I'll probably take the kids over to the cruise... even though it's Corvette weekend.

R825OH
09-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Ahhh, oh well. Givem' a lil Pony action!

Foxxx5oh
09-20-2007, 09:29 PM
i wouldnt do it...think about it...you want a real cobra, but are willing to sacrifice a late 4 eye to clone one? i dont know which is harder to come by, a clean 85-86 4 eyed car, or a 93 Cobra...or the HARDEST to find...a 93 Cobra R (which you have pictured) if you are going to turn a 4 eye into a cobra clone, get an older LX hatchback and start from there...but thats just my opinion...or, check out www.karmustang.com...they usually have at least one Cobra in stock...

Sharad
09-20-2007, 09:38 PM
this is the one I showed earlier

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/fikse.jpg

okay, that's weird... a minute ago, the one above was a big fat red X!?!?

R825OH
09-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Yeah thats a cool car he's over on Four Eyed Pride.com I wonder if those front wheels rub?

Sharad
09-20-2007, 09:46 PM
my '86 had 17x8.5 with 245/45 and 275/40s on it. It rubbed, but not too badly. It was also pretty much hammered to the ground.

Sharad
09-20-2007, 09:47 PM
mine, two years ago:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/Cage081004010.jpg

R825OH
09-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Looks good w/ those wheells too..

Sharad
09-20-2007, 09:53 PM
thanks. Not even close to his car with those Fikse though!!!

Gene
09-20-2007, 09:55 PM
You cut up that car and I'll bitchslap you. :cool1:

I've considered cutting up my 88 and turning it into a 4-eye.

You want a base for a Cobra clone, I'll trade you my car right now. ;)

8NO4CYL
09-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah, don't do it to your '86. Find a 4 banger hatch and "build" ya one. :evilgrin:

R825OH
09-20-2007, 10:00 PM
There ya go trade Gene for his ,problem solved!

Sharad
09-20-2007, 10:01 PM
if only it were that easy! (I know Gene takes care of his stuff)

My dad's the original owner of my car. I'm forbidden to sell it.

R825OH
09-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Even easier not to cut it up, that cars too nice to cut anyway.

JonS
09-21-2007, 06:59 AM
I vote for leaving it alone. I wouldn't feel bad converting an 87-93 GT, but I wouldn't do it to that car. Just the dash seems like a big enough problem, if you want it to look right. I can't imagine that the dash wiring is plug and play.

MrsAPE
09-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Maybe its just not 'time' for you to have the car you have always wanted.
I'd keep yours as it is. Shame to cut it up.
BUT, in the end...its your car, your decision...gotta do what you want to do. Just buy a hard hat cuz the carps are coming out it sounds like. :lol:

Sharad
09-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Maybe its just not 'time' for you to have the car you have always wanted.

Sounds like a wise comment. Definitely something my dad would say...

About the dash wiring, there's nothing behind the dash. It's empty. When I say I dream of building this car like a World Challenge racecar, I'm not kidding.

winner70ta
09-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Welcome to my world! I've played with the older Mustangs, especially Boss 302s, and have sold ones that I should not have ever let go. All in pursuit of something else that I thought I wanted more or whatever. Find out later that I should not have done it :HYF: Then it got to the point that I could not afford another real one as, just like you said, the collector monies kicked in. The cars are our toys but when all of a sudden they become "worth" something more than that it ruins it for many of us.
I would not mess with your GT, it looks very nice. I would say locate a Cobra that somebody maybe interested in selling and use monies from your car to get that sucker. It will make you happy, you can mod it and make it more "your" car (heck with the purists) plus it will always be a real one. :bigthumb

Black Hole
09-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Keep the GT, find a good, solid platform and build from there.

Eventually I plan on building a toy to race.....while keeping my Cobra as a 600-650 rwhp street car. :D Once the car is paid off, I'll upgrade the blower and add a few other things....and then I can go find a FOX or 94-98 or 99-04 car to play with.

theyallslow
09-21-2007, 09:06 AM
I say give it time. ya they will start to go up in price, but when you find that one you want it will be even better. Or just build your own 93 Croba clone. but dont cut the 4 eye, would it ever hurt you?

mach_u
09-21-2007, 02:51 PM
....and then I can go find a FOX or 94-98 or 99-04 car to play with.
So basically a 79-04 mustang? :lol:

Greg Seibert
09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
As many people want that clean '86 as a 93 Cobra.
The collectors just haven't started on them yet.
They are one of a kind, the first SEFI, 8.8, etc.....
I drove them when they were new! Liked the interior better than the 87-93s.
Go out West and find a rust free 87-93 and make it a highly modded clone.
But sell me that clean '86 first.
:lol::lol::lol:

Timido
09-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Yup ot could be as confused as my car is 1979 capri-85Gt-88- Who cares its my car. Yup its a mutt. But its fast mutt