PDA

View Full Version : attacked by my own gun!

ponymom05
09-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Went to Shooter's last evening to get some practice in before my test next week and got attacked by my own weapon! I learned early on that you never wear anything even remotely low cut when shooting so those little hot casings don't go flying down your shirt (lesson learned as my son-in-law couldn't figure why I kept twitching while on the range!). I was well dressed against this problem last night, or so I thought! I knew a casing got inside the side of my goggles, but didn't appear to do much damage. However, one got inside the neck of my T-shirt and burned like Hell before I could get it out. Woke up this morning to find a burn mark next to my left eye and a bad burn on my collar bone. Damn guns, they're next supposed to attack the owner!! I hope if ever needed I do as much or more damage to whomever I'm aiming at. It would be ugly to be shooting at someone and I'm the one screaming in pain! Maybe my insane behavior would scare them away??? I think I'll wear a turtleneck to my test. Maybe one of those headpieces like the beekeepers wear?

ruby71oh
09-21-2007, 06:53 AM
I must be lacking sleep but the last part of your post made me giggle! Thanks for the morning laugh with my cereal!

theyallslow
09-21-2007, 08:45 AM
last time ryan and i were at the range, he was using his glock and his casing were hitting the guy in the next lane. But that didnt stop him. he just keep on shoting.

ibstrokin
09-21-2007, 08:46 AM
That's odd, I don't remember ever being hit by a casing. What do you shoot? I wonder if there's a fix for that. It may be worth asking your instructors for advice.

cstreu1026
09-21-2007, 08:49 AM
I have been hit by casings several times...both my own and from the people next to me. I have had my own ricochet off the divider and hit me in the side of the head even.

DeckerEnt
09-21-2007, 08:51 AM
There is really no way to control where the empties come out. They should all come out the same way and mostly end up on the same place on the ground. Unless you shoot reloads like me. Some are 10 yards from me, some are 20. I never know.
Keith

facemelter71
09-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Never been hit with my own casing,they all pretty much go elsewhere in the range.Does any one trap shoot?

Rob
09-21-2007, 09:47 AM
I trap shoot from time to time, i don't get to do it as much anymore. Sometimes on the trap range folks would bring a semi auto shot gun that would kick the casing at your head. Not the best thing for focus.

facemelter71
09-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Well i might possibly be lookin for another trap shooter for my league team on tuesday nights.

Grey Wolf
09-21-2007, 10:48 AM
I am curious as to what gun you shoot. My Glock casings ricochet off the divider and then glance off of me, but they never hit me directly. Also, are you taking an athletic stance (one foot in front of the other) or square to the target. I would think it is more likely to happen if your feet are square to the taget.

Rob
09-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Well i might possibly be lookin for another trap shooter for my league team on tuesday nights.

Where do you shoot?

facemelter71
09-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Fairfield sportsmans club,down in New Baltimore.

nitrous_mike
09-21-2007, 03:07 PM
I have had brass to come back on me before, even last time I was shooting here at the house I had one brass to come back and actually sit on my hat bill. I would strongly suggest wearing a hat when you shoot to keep the brass from hitting you in the face like that. When I took my carry class it was my first time at an indoor range or even an official range as far as that goes, but I got beat up by my buddy's brass from his Taurus Millennium Pro 45 even with the dividers. I mainly shoot my SA XD 40SC and have noticed that SA pistols tend the eject more up then to the side.

BTW if you are taking a carry class you may want to see if they offer any other classes after that. I went on and signed up for a "street handgun" course just because it sounded like a lot of fun and well anytime I can get an excuse to burn 500+ rounds of ammo with some friends and hopefully learn something that may save my life I am all for it. If I did not have to drive all the way to Memphis to take these classes I would take all of the ones they offer but maybe I will do so later on. Here is a link to some of the classes this range offers http://www.rangeusa.com/Training/RangeUSAUniversity/StreetSurvivalSchool/StreetHandgunLevelI/tabid/64/Default.aspx
Good luck and happy shooting :D .

Timido
09-21-2007, 04:33 PM
At the range while shooting ar15- if you were to the left of a left handed shooter his brass would fly at you all day

DeckerEnt
09-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Mine ejects to the right and down. Love my AR-15.
Keith

PonymanfiveO
09-21-2007, 08:27 PM
lol...glad to hear your out shooting that gun Cathy. Its fun.

I get to go shoot my Browning BT99 tomorrow. cant wait!

Black Horse
09-22-2007, 08:07 AM
The hot brass is one thing (I feel for you lefties shooting right handed guns)....but the one that hurts the most is when the ejected clip from your 30.06 M1 Garand comes crashing down on the center of your head.....those of you that have shot one know what I mean. Now I know why WW2 folks wore those heavy helmets!

Rob
09-22-2007, 10:02 AM
lol...glad to hear your out shooting that gun Cathy. Its fun.

I get to go shoot my Browning BT99 tomorrow. cant wait!

When did you get a BT-99? Thats a good trap gun. I used to have a BT-100 the all stainless version. But i shoot a 99 now from time to time. Do you trap shoot also?

PonymanfiveO
09-22-2007, 10:52 AM
When did you get a BT-99? Thats a good trap gun. I used to have a BT-100 the all stainless version. But i shoot a 99 now from time to time. Do you trap shoot also?

Yea man!

Im no good, but Ive shot trap since I was shorter than the gun. :D

My dad has some pretty high dollar trap guns. They dont see much use though. Rob, we need to get together and shoot sometime...when your not so busy.:rolleyes: lol.
Im a member of Campbell County Game and Fish, its a pretty nice place close to my house, we have two Automatic throwers. We should go shoot sometime.;)

Rob
09-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Yea man!

Im no good, but Ive shot trap since I was shorter than the gun. :D

My dad has some pretty high dollar trap guns. They dont see much use though. Rob, we need to get together and shoot sometime...when your not so busy.:rolleyes: lol.
Im a member of Campbell County Game and Fish, its a pretty nice place close to my house, we have two Automatic throwers. We should go shoot sometime.;)

Absolutely :bigthumb
That would be awesome. My dad got me into tap also. He shoots Perazzi trap guns. He has won state shoots and placed 2nd in the Grand American.
Those trap guns get out of hand in price. A friend of ours shoots a Silver Sights, the gun cost over 16,000 :eek:

FMGT1999
09-22-2007, 12:02 PM
It's funny to watch the shooter next to me when I pop of a few rounds with my FN-FAL.

hehe...

Kyle

Black Horse
09-22-2007, 12:41 PM
It's funny to watch the shooter next to me when I pop of a few rounds with my FN-FAL.

hehe...

Kyle

That will definately wake a few people up!

We shot a Desert Eagle at an indoor range up in MI a few years ago....mostly were cops there that day popping off 9mm's After the first Desert Eagle round went off the rest of the range went silent and heads were peaking around ALL of the dividers. ~lol~ The second shot knocked dust off the rafters!

FMGT1999
09-22-2007, 01:25 PM
The DE are a blast, that's for sure...

I got to shoot an LAR Grizzy 50 cal. on the 45 win mag frame now that will wake a range up, pulled off two rounds and handed it back to the owner and said thanks but no thanks that was just to much power is such a small framed hand gun.

Still was kind of exciting...

Kyle

Pops Fun
09-22-2007, 02:28 PM
i woke several people yesterday shooting .357 magnums. THEY WERE ALL LOOKING, in that stubby revolver they are a handful..

Steve