PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Cobra Spec Stage 3 Question

04comporangegt
10-01-2007, 11:19 PM
My buddy just bought a Cobra from Montgomery Ford. It has a Spec Stage 3 clutch in it. After you get on it, it starts to make a grinding noise when you take off. I know tat they chatter some but this is more of a grinding. It still will hook up fine and does not appear to slip once engaged. Ford will cover ALL parts on the car for 90 days we are going to go see them tomorrow. Does anyone know what the grinding could be?

Xowner
10-02-2007, 12:26 AM
throw out bearing maybe does it do it when the clutch is pushed in and let out???? do it in gear or outta gear???

04comporangegt
10-02-2007, 05:40 AM
It does it when letting the clutch out when it is engaging. It also does it when shifting and downshifting. Once engaged nothing sounds weird at all.

KenB
10-02-2007, 07:57 AM
It does it when letting the clutch out when it is engaging. It also does it when shifting and downshifting. Once engaged nothing sounds weird at all.

I would have to hear it for sure, but it may not have a Spec Stage III. Could have one of the more aggressive disks in it and they make noise. Either that, or the clutch disk is wasted and you are grinding on rivets.

04comporangegt
10-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Would the car still pull really hard and not slip if it were on the rivets?

08 Vette
10-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Would the car still pull really hard and not slip if it were on the rivets?

Mine slipped like a SOB when I got down to the rivets.
I'd have them pull it.
Without hearing it, I'd say it's the TO bearing. Or a bent shift fork.
My guess!
Let us know what you find out.

Black Hole
10-02-2007, 09:31 AM
My 00 GT had a similar sounding problem.....ended up being the bolt that the clutch fork pivots on had actually backed out and pushed the fork up towards the pressure plate. At first it was a grinding noise, but it turned into a "ringing" noise after a lil bit.

04comporangegt
10-02-2007, 09:34 AM
I will let everyone know. Ford will cover it under warranty so who knows how long it will take them to pull it out and replace whatever.

04comporangegt
10-02-2007, 09:38 AM
My 00 GT had a similar sounding problem.....ended up being the bolt that the clutch fork pivots on had actually backed out and pushed the fork up towards the pressure plate. At first it was a grinding noise, but it turned into a "ringing" noise after a lil bit.

It is hard to tell with this one. It does it while the clutch chatter is going on so it is hard to pinpoint the noise. We might try to get it down to Ken to listen to it before taking it back to Ford so we have a really good idea what it might be. The guy that owned it before had stuff done at MD his name was Rich (Holiday? maybe). He said the clutch has only about 2000 miles on it.