PDA

View Full Version : A-380 In CVG

jrmylmach1
10-03-2007, 12:02 AM
EVENDALE, Ohio -- A big, big, big airplane will be flying over Cincinnati on Wednesday, and police want you to know it's coming.

The Airbus A380 airliner has wings as long as a football field and is powered by four engines. The model seats more than 520 passengers in a three-class configuration, although the plane that will come to Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport is a test aircraft and not outfitted with a passenger cabin.

The double-decker A380 will overtake Boeing's 747 as the world's largest passenger airliner.

Its GP7200 engines are designed and built by the Engine Alliance, a 50-50 joint venture between Pratt & Whitney and GE Aviation, headquartered in Cincinnati.

As a result, the plane will fly low and slow over the GE plant in Evendale sometime between 7 a.m. and noon on Wednesday, then land at CVG.

Police wanted to get the word out because a similar flight last year spurred several 911 calls by people wondering if the plane was a terrorist weapon.

Officials also warned that drivers should pay attention to the road, not the plane. The plant sits alongside Interstate 75.(!--stopindex-->

If anyone sees this behemoth, tell us how it looked. I am unfortunately in Portland Maine until about 2:00 this afternoon so I won't be able to see it.

Jeremy

DSSKing68
10-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Besides the fact that the engines are made by GE...let's all take a collective piss in the air at it as it flies over.

:flipoff:
:squirt:

RACEME
10-03-2007, 08:50 AM
It just went over us a little while ago. It feels good to see something you played a part in actually doing it's thing.

Gene
10-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Saw it this morning.

Pretty cool, but it's still an Airbus.

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.

Airbus A320 controlled flight into terrain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxP8LwSArYA)

theyallslow
10-03-2007, 09:10 AM
any pics of the air bus?

DSSKing68
10-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Pretty cool, but it's still an Airbus.

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.

Amen to that...anyone who has ever worked on one will say the same thing...Definitely backwards thinking from the good old American way....POS Frog Airline...I did hear they have reverse though...if it sees trouble it can turn tail and run.

I saw it too, we are right beind GE...quiet. How long until the P&W side of the joint venture comes apart though?

mustangboy
10-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Any idea when it is leaving. I don't live too far from the airport and could probably see it leave. I remember when Bush was in town once there was a huge military cargo plane that I assumed was for his parade of cars that flew right over my house very low and slow. That was pretty cool to see.

jrmylmach1
10-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Tower controller told us today when we arrived that it would be leaving tomorrow morning at 7am.

Jeremy

pegasus
10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
:postpix:

any pics of the air bus?
:agree: