PDA

View Full Version : hatch mount batt box

bobtsgt
10-04-2007, 10:07 AM
when mounting the battery in the hatch without a separate firewall does it have to be in a aluminum box w/ a vent or can you use a plastic box w/ a vent? I don't want any of the tracks to deny me to run cause I have the wrong box. Thanks.

mustangboy
10-04-2007, 11:39 AM
I believe as long as it is vented a plastic box is fine. In fact I believe if you use and Optima or similar I dont think technically have to have a box at all but you may get hassled. Are you running a fuel cell or the stock tank? If you are going w/ a cell mounted in the hatch area you'll need a firewall for that to be legal.

bobtsgt
10-04-2007, 11:53 AM
no cell this year. I do have a yellow top already. I was going to pick that sweet box Jimmy made off you but once again I was too late.

RIXXX93GT
10-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Has to be a sealed box with a vent. Like the blue MOroso box.

Timido
10-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Plastic Marine battery boxs will not pass a real tech.

bobtsgt
10-16-2007, 06:13 PM
so is a aluminum box the smart way to go about it?

Timido
10-16-2007, 07:09 PM
From NHRA to legal >

Any car with a relocated battery must be equipped with a master electrical cutoff, capable of stopping all electrical functions including ignition (must shut the engine off, as well as fuel pumps, etc.). The switch must be located on the rear of the vehicle, with the "off" position clearly marked. If the switch is of a "push / pull" type, then "push" must be the motion that shuts off the switch, and plastic or "keyed" typed switches are prohibited. Also, the battery must be completely sealed from the driver and/or driver compartment. This means a metal bulkhead must separate the trunk from the driver compartment, or the battery must be located in a sealed, metal box constructed of minimum .024 inch steel or .032 inch aluminum, or in an NHRA accepted plastic box. In cars with a conventional trunk, metal can simply be installed behind the rear seat and under the package tray to effectively seal the battery off from the driver. In a hatchback type vehicle the battery box is usually the easiest solution, since the alternative is to fabricate a bulkhead which seals to the hatch when closed. At present, Moroso is the only company which offers an NHRA accepted plastic battery box, part number 74050

http://www.nhra.com/contacts/tech_faq.html

bobtsgt
10-16-2007, 09:08 PM
well damn thanks Tim :bigthumb

92coupe
10-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Get the Taylor box from Cincy speed they are sealed and have a vent tube and very easy to install.. And it will definetly pass thru tech.

And dont forget that painless shutdown system another must have.