PDA

View Full Version : Car will not start when hot

Blacksunshine
10-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Ok here we go, I can go out right now and fire up the car no problem ( when it's cold) as soon as it gets hot it will not start until its cold or at least way cooled down.( about 2 hours of cool down) I'm guessing it's the starter , however here's what I have checked so far....

Start the car and make sure it runs with the battery cable + 0ff runs like a champ..

The Charge voltage ...VDC is 14.60 ish:bigthumb

When the car is started the voltage only drops to low 12 vdc

I have cleaned all cable connections and made sure they are secure.

This starter is about 3 years old....cheapie Smythe rebuild......

I'm guessing the starter is bad...... Now only if I wasn't so lazy I'd go out and fix this P.O.S.F.M.G.T:lol: What do you think?

aperacer
10-06-2007, 10:06 AM
the engine will not start..... or the engine will not turn over?

one90gt
10-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Sounds like the starter is getting too hot.

Blacksunshine
10-06-2007, 12:41 PM
The Starter does try it ,acts like the battery is dead....kind of like a errr rrr rrrrrrrrrr.
WAy slow turn over ...Then two hours later bam fires right up..... Yes it tuns over but bareley.. when it cools it kicks butt again.

Nothings changed as far as I know....Same headers, same pipes can is running cool....Not sure....I think I will try a starter UMTR is next weekend.

Xowner
10-06-2007, 01:02 PM
you might be getting the starter too hot with the headers? is the starter close to your headers? might have to try some a heat sheild to protect the starter from the heat.

Blacksunshine
10-06-2007, 01:45 PM
you might be getting the starter too hot with the headers? is the starter close to your headers? might have to try some a heat sheild to protect the starter from the heat.
I guess thats possible, But they are just the same Macs I have had for 5 years.....

347sc
10-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Heat can play havoc with your power cable too. The hotter it gets the less a it conducts. Check your grounds too.

todd86
10-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Heat can play havoc with your power cable too. The hotter it gets the less a it conducts. Check your grounds too.

I agree!

aperacer
10-06-2007, 04:11 PM
do you know how to measure voltage drop with a dvom..digital volt ohm meter. if so. get the engine hot and measure the voltage drop of the cable from the starter solinoid to the starter. if there is excesive drop replaced the cable. just my .02 worth

Jeff88coupe
10-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Sounds like starter heat soak....put a heat sheild on it. I had the same problem a few years ago with a stock starter on my old 302 motor. I just cut up a old licence plate...used a big hose clamp to hold it around the starter...fixed the problem.

Blacksunshine
10-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Update.....New Starter and the problem seems to be fixed... Yes I did the V.O.M meter testing ( I do the voltage meter thing for a living, I'm just way too lazy to do at home...ha ha )....I also re-routed the cable just a little bit and whala !! Thanks for all the input guys.. ps I'm going to do the heat sheild think tomorrow...Good idea... !!
pss I still hate cars.

aperacer
10-07-2007, 08:55 AM
i under stand the to lazy at home thing.... glad you got it fixed....