PDA

View Full Version : car running rather warm...

Stangman
10-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Driving down rt. 62 on the way home from the hillsboro store i turn on the A/C and roll up the windows and shortly afterwards i notice that my temp guage wandered up rather high, much higher than it normally runs... Ever...

I shut off the A/C and it lowers... but not much.... ive came home, let the car sit for a few minutes, went back out started it up and drove around a bit... still runnin a lil warm... ill see if i get a change tomorrow after the engine has COMPLETELY cooled off, and see where im at. Im thinkin that its possibly my electric fan motor... but it runs and i can hear it kick on and off... so i dont know... hope someone can give me some advice...

92coupe
10-09-2007, 02:41 AM
Could be a thermostat, Fan motor or bad sensor

Stangman
10-09-2007, 08:57 AM
hadnt thought about the sensor.... it almost acts as if theres a pocket of air forming when i turn on the A/C...

08 Vette
10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Could be a lot of thimgs
Rad clogged up not flowing free
thermostat Stuck 1/2 way open
bad sensor
Head gasket
Temp control valve if it has one.

Stangman
10-09-2007, 07:38 PM
I know its not a clog in the system, it has been flushed. i would hope its not a head gasket, but with 193,000 miles im not gonna rule it out, it does use a lil coolant every 3 or so weeks and always has.... and i dont beleive that it has a temp control valve, as for the sensor, would it be the large one on the intake or the small one on the side of the block?

Black Horse
10-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Check to make sure your waterpump is actually pumping. Some (especially aftermarket) water pumps have been known to shed the pump vane off the end of the shaft but it doesnt leak or make noise....just makes your temp gauge head for the stars!

Carl
10-10-2007, 12:33 AM
If you can here the fan kicking on and off, I would bet thats where the problem is starting at. The fan should kick on and stay on while the A/C is running I thought.

Stangman
10-10-2007, 12:47 AM
well, im not sure if i can hear it kick on and off while driving, seein as my car has dumps, its kinda loud, but if you do the OBD1 self check the fan kicks on, and i can hear it sometimes when im payin attention to it while im stopped so... ????

bobtsgt
10-10-2007, 09:00 AM
you can always start the car, get out and watch the fan kick on/off, then check it with the AC on :D

Stangman
10-10-2007, 11:24 AM
:HYF: for me... hadnt even thought of that one...