PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a car sponser?

Mista Bone
10-10-2007, 04:47 AM
Honestly, didn't know where to put this.......but.......

I've been asked to help sponser a NASA H4 car for him running a transmission of mine (Honda, deal with it). He said he's running the full 2008 East Coast Honda Challenge Series AND Nationals (hopefully again at Mid Ohio!).

He's from Gainesville, GA., he has offered to run my LARGE decals (still designing them!) on the sides of his car. In return the best that I know I can offer at this point is free labor ($150) on his LSD install, he still has to pay the parts and shipping charges.

The SCCA cars I've built for also expressed some interest (like free winter inspections, they still pay for parts and gas) with smaller decals on the side windows.

I never thought building trannys for Honda's would lead to this, but I'd also like to get a leg up on the American Iron class, to which I've no exp. on their transmissions.

Brutal honest posts accepted, flaming not. BIG BIG step for me......

bobtsgt
10-10-2007, 08:05 AM
well congrats then!!! Keep up the good work.

Gene
10-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Not sure what your question is, but it sounds like what you're doing is the right way to go about it at this stage of your business.

Assuming that the car is going to be out there every race weekend, and the only thing that it's costing you is labor, it's not a bad deal. Don't offer to spend any money until the business has the cash flow to support it. Remember, the racer is counting on you as part of his racing effort...if he's only expecting you to help out on labor, great...but if he starts expecting financial support on the car and you can't deliver, then you're doing more harm than good.

That being said, I can't think of a better way to market your services. Especially if the car is a front runner, you should be able to easily generate enough business to offset the free labor.

DeckerEnt
10-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Go for it. Target marketing is great. If the car is a good performer and your name is on it, people will call you for their work. I see only positive things from this. Good luck with it.
Keith

Mista Bone
10-10-2007, 02:49 PM
NASA/SCCA is grassroots racing, no money won. I'm gonna research his finishes, but just my name going around the track would be a big help. Honestly, it only takes 3-4 hours to do the race tranny, but having my business name on the side of a car, priceless :)

Thanks.

Gene
10-10-2007, 05:31 PM
NASA/SCCA is grassroots racing, no money won. I'm gonna research his finishes, but just my name going around the track would be a big help. Honestly, it only takes 3-4 hours to do the race tranny, but having my business name on the side of a car, priceless :)

Thanks.

A lot of sponsor deals have to do with contingency money...i.e. if a guy you're sponsoring does well (top three, top ten, whatever), then he gets money from you.

Mista Bone
10-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Best I could offer is a "free" inspection during the off season if they do well. Like a national win at Mid Ohio or ARRC Road Atlanta, which I have two entered :)

Kelly Pelrine
10-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Its been awhile but i have sponsored several cars with my photography business in the NMRA from Open Comp to Super Street Outlaw. No matter what you give in exchange it is an excellent way to promote your business. Not only do you have a presence on the car that the fans and media get to see, you also have the best tool in marketing to this day ... word of mouth. Keeping good communications with your racers goes a long way. If you are good to your guys/gals they will tell people about it. Its a win-win situation. Hope that helps :bigthumb

Mista Bone
10-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks Kelly.

BTW, just found out I now have a National Championship as a tranny builder!!!!!

F Street Prepared SCCA Solo Nationals
1st 186 Jason J Tipple 1989 Honda Civic SI Ohio Valley
Galloway, OH [86] Bobby Rahal Automotive Group/ R GL Hoosier
54.989 61.547(2) 51.949
44.006 45.283(1) 45.914(1)

95.955 combined time, margin of victory .438

Black Horse
10-11-2007, 09:06 AM
I sponsor several different folks within NASA at various levels of sponsorship. Most of my sponsorship agreements are basically a reduced graphics cost in exchange for displaying my stickers. I also have arrangements to help benefit charities, etc.

My advice is to take it on a case-by-case basis and tailor sponsorship to fit individual needs. Its all about word of mouth and satisfying your customers. The good news spreads very slowly whereas any bad news can spread like wildfire.

By the way - need any help desigining or making your sponsorship graphics? ~lol~

Mista Bone
10-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I have access to three deisgner/printers, two are local, and your one of them :)