PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba HD-DVD

93hulk
10-17-2007, 10:20 PM
I bought one a couple months ago and the thing is bas ass. Awesome pic and sound. Comparing it to a regular dvd is like night and day. The only problem Ive had, is yesterday I went out and bought Transformers and the player cant read the disc. Today I call Toshiba and they said I have to hook it up to wireless internet to get upgrades. WTF! I pay all this money for a this and have to have an upgrade already? Its only 2 months old. They said that they have had a problem with Transformer movie and that has been the only one so far. Ive watched several other movies without a problem. Over all Im very happy with it. Does anyone else have one?:rolleyes:

PonymanfiveO
10-17-2007, 10:32 PM
I was gonna get one, but I spend too much time on Cardio to need a tv. Plus I get to watch yours with your wife when your not home. :D

93hulk
10-17-2007, 11:08 PM
I was gonna get one, but I spend too much time on Cardio to need a tv. Plus I get to watch yours with your wife when your not home. :D

Your Welcome!:flipoff:

331TwistedWedge
10-17-2007, 11:26 PM
i've had mine for over a year ... now they have the blu ray discs out ($478) ... technology sucks ~ as soon as you have something new, its old 3 months later ... now they have the 1080p hdtv's out ... whats next :confused:

PonymanfiveO
10-17-2007, 11:27 PM
We love to drink chocolate milk through crazy straws and watch "Life Goes on"

93hulk
10-17-2007, 11:31 PM
... now they have the 1080p hdtv's out ... whats next :confused:

Thats what I have. The new 65'' Toshiba DLP 1080p. I LOVE IT! (and so does Corky Johnson when Im not home).:)

331TwistedWedge
10-17-2007, 11:33 PM
i gotcha ... sweet :bigthumb ... im not blowing 2 more grand for another one, this damn thing is going to last for a while ... i have mods to buy :lol:

Black92LX
10-18-2007, 06:46 AM
i've had mine for over a year ... now they have the blu ray discs out ($478) ... technology sucks ~ as soon as you have something new, its old 3 months later ... now they have the 1080p hdtv's out ... whats next :confused:

Blu Ray Technology is actually quite a bit older than HD DVD. Blue Ray as been around for almost 7 years now.

As for what's next. I am going to take a guess that the next big thing for video would be some sort of hologram technology.

satan jamez
10-18-2007, 10:32 AM
I bought one a couple months ago and the thing is bas ass. Awesome pic and sound. Comparing it to a regular dvd is like night and day. The only problem Ive had, is yesterday I went out and bought Transformers and the player cant read the disc. Today I call Toshiba and they said I have to hook it up to wireless internet to get upgrades. WTF! I pay all this money for a this and have to have an upgrade already? Its only 2 months old. They said that they have had a problem with Transformer movie and that has been the only one so far. Ive watched several other movies without a problem. Over all Im very happy with it. Does anyone else have one?:rolleyes:

I also have Transformers and noticed that when I played the disc it downloaded something for about 2 min. Then when I watched it again it downloaded something lasting for about 30 sec. FYI i'm using the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player :bigthumb

PKFIRE
10-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Clarity and reduction in size in Tv's are getting better and better. I've had a 19" CRT 480 TV for the longest time and was fine with it until I got a house and needed something bigger. Now with the options of TV's I can hang one anywhere which is awesome because it leaves me more space. The only thing that sucks about buying new technology it modivates you into wanting or buying more components that work hand and hand with it. Then they eventually become cheeper and obsolete. Here is a new TV that Sony has been working with.http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/move-over-plasma-lcd-oled-and-sed-are-in-town.html
Using a new type of Light emitting Diode (organic) it's going be the next stage of the game where what we have is obsolete or just basic. BTW computers still can produce 4 times the resolution as best TV monitors can handle and even old computer monitors have had at lease 1024x768 resolution. I guess we are still restricted on what we could be viewing TV wise with what I heard as TV stations not wanting to spend the extra money on getting 1080P Video cameras and what not. By 2009 all broadcast stations will be HD and cable will go to real digital by 2012.(not analog to digital)

BTW I heard rumors on a HD-Blueray player is being developed for about 250 dollars in the near future. If I learn anymore about this I'll let you guys know. I'll probably wait about a year before I buy one.

Sorry about the long post

IWRBB
10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
OLED's are definatley the holy grail (for now) of TVs. I wouldn't hold your breath though, it'll still be a while, and they will be expensive.

That computer monitor thing, my plasma is 1366 x 768. Most monitors and vidcards run around 1600 x 1200 as a max. I've never seen anyone running a 4800 x 3600 desktop. Compared to a 480i TV, yea, I guess you could argue the 4x figure.

Also, all tv stations will not be in HD in 2009, they will be digital. All HD over the air is digital. All digital over the air is not necessarily HD.

PKFIRE
10-19-2007, 04:34 PM
double post!

PKFIRE
10-19-2007, 04:36 PM
OLED's are definatley the holy grail (for now) of TVs. I wouldn't hold your breath though, it'll still be a while, and they will be expensive.

That computer monitor thing, my plasma is 1366 x 768. Most monitors and vidcards run around 1600 x 1200 as a max. I've never seen anyone running a 4800 x 3600 desktop. Compared to a 480i TV, yea, I guess you could argue the 4x figure.

Also, all tv stations will not be in HD in 2009, they will be digital. All HD over the air is digital. All digital over the air is not necessarily HD.

That's kewl, I was just blown away about the resolution of my brother's video card on his cpu he about a year ago. it was 2048x something but his monitor couldn't handle it. I know they have better resolution cards now.

Here is a sweet computer monitor http://www.superwarehouse.com/IBM_T221_Black_22_LCD_Monitor/9503DG3/p/39752

I wonder what a digital to analog converter is going to cost incase I'm still watching my CRT in a few years?

IWRBB
10-20-2007, 10:17 AM
The gov'nent will provide them for free. Unless you use an antenna to get your TV though, it won't matter. It's only the over the air broadcasts format that is changing.