PDA

View Full Version : How to get a dog to chew?!?

Kevin Doe
10-18-2007, 09:51 AM
I have a puppy. She is about 3 months old and weighs 22 lbs. We have been feeding her dry food for about a month and a half now. We feed her Purina Puppy Chow (small pieces), and she just swallows it whole. So we decided to buy Puppy Chow (for large breeds) because the pieces are larger and we thought she would have to chew them. I mixed the two types together.

She still just tires to swallow them whole, and often stops, and I can see her trying to swallow hard, like its getting stuck on the way down.

When eating out of the bowl she swallows whole, when eating out of my hand, she chews. Its weird. She loves chewing on bones and whatnot, so I don't think its a hurting mouth issue.

Anybody have any ideas?

fst 5pto
10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
It is a puppy thing, they get in a hurry and dont think to chew. If it worries you I would just feed her by hand. I fed my Golden by hand for the first three months just because they learn the whole "whose boss idea" and will respect/mind you better. Also it is a good way to teach obedience... make her do a trick then give her a couple pieces. I know my Golden listens better than any dog I have ever had.

bobtsgt
10-18-2007, 10:09 AM
mabey try a little peanut butter on the food?

Black Horse
10-18-2007, 11:01 AM
It would help if the larger morsels are real wet and chewy.....puppies especially have a problem with chewing. Maybe its a good thing, at least you still have chair and table legs.

Seriously - soak the food in water until the nuggets are squishy and try that, if nothing else they will be less likely to get caught in their throat if they swallow it whole.

REDHOTGTGIRL
10-18-2007, 11:50 AM
She'll figure it out sooner or later. I'd try some of the suggestions here, but you know, my 3 year old Boston Terrier still swallows half of his food whole. He just loves food and get so excited he eats really fast and ends up swallowing at least of his plate whole. But he doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear. Good luck, I'm sure she'll be fine.