PDA

View Full Version : What is Patina in a car?

tmotorsports
10-19-2007, 11:21 AM
I have been reading alot of Hot Rod lately and old cars are often refered to as having patina.I'am gathering it is the old original parts on the car.My little 1979 fairmont turbo car is all original paint and interior so is that patina?I think I'am going to just preserve it the way it is and not repaint it like I was planning.If you have seen the car it is very clean and has the usual faded paint and scratches from being almost 29 years old ,but overall real nice.

93 coupe
10-19-2007, 11:30 AM
"Patina" I think means original condition, Body panels, paint ect..

You do have a really nice car there and I would leave it the way it is.... Okay maybe I wouldn't but I do like it none the less!! :bigthumb

plated
10-19-2007, 11:35 AM
i think you hang them then put on a blind fold an try to crack it open with a stick for the candy:bigthumb

Kevin Doe
10-19-2007, 11:58 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina

I have also heard of people calling the finish of an old worn ring patina. Like a ring that is scratched and dinged uniformly from years of wear, and is no longer shinny.

With a car, I'd think patina would refer to a worn original condition.

DeckerEnt
10-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Hot Rod did not coin the term patina. Car Craft did and patina is an original car with rust. Rust is patina.
Keith

Greg Seibert
10-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Patina is the old rusty brown color from aging, weathering, and oxidizing. Old guns are considered more valuable with this patina coloring, as opposed to restoring to original finish. In the automotive contex, it is used for describing interior and paint tones.

Stangman
10-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Seems to me its the look/feel/ and oringinality of another era that is difficult to reproduce and achieve the same results without modernization... not nessissarily rust and deterioration... but almost an attitude...

i want a true rat-rod absolutely oozing with patina.... one day...

Greg Seibert
10-20-2007, 09:58 PM
:agree::bigthumb