PDA

View Full Version : Water in my basement

DeckerEnt
10-23-2007, 08:26 AM
I walked downstairs today and noticed it. That dark area in front of the fireplace. I walked over and sure enough squish squish. I need to put a cap on my chimney to stop the rain from coming in but since we had none over the summer, I didn't give it much thought. I will be bringing my work truck home today and extracting the water from the carpet. The good news is that the sump pump that I installed on the other side of my basement is working well and no water there.
Sometimes I hate the rain but we need it.
Keith

mach_u
10-23-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm with you. Came home last night to discover the previous retarded home owners had shoved rags into an old plumbing exhaust pipe that was in the basement, drywalled over the top of it but never installed a cheap cap on it on the ceiling and had to cut out the drywall last night because water was dripping on to my brand new carpet and discovered this nasty mess of old rags :barf: I swear some people should not be allowed to own homes!

REDHOTGTGIRL
10-23-2007, 08:35 AM
**AJ beat me to it.

Yeah, I'm over the rain. I know we need it, but it is adding a lot of stress to my already stressed out mind. Hopefully you can get yours taken care of pretty easily, good luck!

MrsAPE
10-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Seems to be going around. Maybe I should venture down to the basement. But then I'd have to do some laundry too. *runs screaming from room*

Gene
10-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Had a little bit this morning as well. The sump pump overflowed and spilled out into part of the unfinished basement. Luckily I was able to clear the obstruction and it seems to be working fine. I'm going to stop by the house later this morning and double check that it's working though, just to be sure.

Pops Fun
10-23-2007, 03:01 PM
We had water in ours today.... I think since it had been so dry the ground pulled away from the outside wall and it came in along the wall and in the cracks... usually just get a couple drips... more that that today... Lucky it is unfinished just junk on the floor.

Steve

DeckerEnt
10-23-2007, 09:37 PM
A word to the wise, clean out your fireplace!! I didn't and that is where my water was coming from. I had to scrap all the muck out by hand. It was gross. I extracted almost a full tank 85 gallons or so from my basement carpet tonight. And since the fireplace is still seeping water, I went out to Home Depot and got a good wet/dry vac which I will use to drain the water every few hours tonight. It is gonna suck. I will probably have to bring the truck home tomorrow too to do it all over again. I hate the rain.
Keith

Mr.Moontang
10-23-2007, 10:20 PM
I can't find my basement...

DeckerEnt
10-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Hey Scott, I used the water claw on my basement carpet. It worked fine. I had a little more area than your house to extract though. LOL
Keith