PDA

View Full Version : 351w ignition problems &MSD

ihave1sweetride
10-25-2007, 10:19 PM
this is Bob under Angie's name

we tried starting the motor tonight with the MSD 6AL box. I tested the box and it sparks just like the manual says. He had it hooked up the way it shows us how and we got no spark to the cap. Then I put the .8K ohm resistor in place since we are using the stock distributor. Nothing changed and we were not getting voltage to the coil + wire. So we unhook the box and wire the coil up stock. This is a stock style 351w points dist. by the way. We actaully got some sort of spark but now we thing the distributor is out of whack.

Is there and rule of thumb or trick to setting the 351 distributor? We went by an old manual for the firing order and we know thats right. We are just having a hell of a time getting the timing figured out. We also know there is enough fuel so thats not the case. Any help will be appreciated. We are close though :D

JASON408
10-25-2007, 11:13 PM
are you sure about the power to the coil ? remember to coil will not have power unless the motor is cranking every time the distubtor turns if fires the coil . if you tested the box and it worked it should be in the distubtor if is a msd check the pick up they go bad alot

bobtsgt
10-26-2007, 08:19 AM
ours has points since its a stock distributor. It sends the signal fine to the box. I think the box might not be sending it to the coil. Cause once we bypassed the box and put the coil on a switched circuit the car would spark fine. I'm going to take the box to Craig and let him test it out.

Rick93coupe
10-27-2007, 11:40 PM
If the box has any problems guys, just gimme a call. 937-270-6024