PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Service...

PonymanfiveO
10-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Im going to cancel my Nextel account. It is getting worse somehow. Phone never works. I have an I850 and have had it repaired 7 or 8 times in the past year. I'll probably be going back to Verizon.

What service do you have and how do you like it?

Paul408Notch
10-27-2007, 02:01 PM
I have Sprint and haven't had problems with it in the 3 years I've been with them. Way better than they used to be, and if you can still get set up on a SERO plan, you can't beat the price either.

Black92LX
10-27-2007, 02:28 PM
I have T-Mobile. I have had them for 3 years and am very happy with them.
Their coverage used to be less than most carriers but within the last year their coverage has expnanded greatly. I have traveled the country and have only been 2 places without signal.
Now both of those places have great signal.

I pay $39.99 for 1000 anytime minutes free nights and weekends.
I don't text or do anything else other than talk on it.

Any time I have had a problem their customer service handled it no problems.
Aso I have never paid for a phone with them.

BigBadStang
10-27-2007, 02:34 PM
we had nextel for 1 year. it was terrible for us, and the 2 way wouldnt always work either. it used to drive me nuts...i could see my wife 100 yards away, but the 2 way couldnt find her!
we went back to verizon with a family plan 2 years ago, and other than a few low/no signal areas not a problem yet!
i have heard horror stories about sprint/nextel lately though. :dunno:

bobtsgt
10-27-2007, 03:59 PM
we are switching our nextel to Sprint. they don't charge you any extra for switching plus the plans seem to be better.

PonymanfiveO
10-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys. I just got off the phone with Customer Service.
My contract isnt up till May of '09 and they want $200 for an early termination fee.

I bitched enough of a fit that they gave me a better deal on a new phone.
Im getting the Motorola IC902. It works with the Sprint network as well as the
Nextel, so it is suposed to have great coverage. We'll see I guess.

here is a link to the phone...
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?filterString=Direct_Connect_Best&id12=Shop_StartPhones_Link_WalkieTalkiePhones

92StangMan
10-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I use Sprint and have never had a problem.

99Slobra
10-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Eh. Nextel is supposed to be gone in late 08 early 09.

95redstang
10-28-2007, 03:53 AM
My contract isnt up till May of '09 and they want $200 for an early termination fee.

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?filterString=Direct_Connect_Best&id12=Shop_StartPhones_Link_WalkieTalkiePhones
That's all you have to do is bitch!!!! I had problems with my phone from AT&T(cingular) I called quite a few times and the last time I told them to either replace the phone or I was going to cancel the service...So I got a Blackberry for $20....

BigBadStang
10-28-2007, 09:20 AM
That's all you have to do is bitch!!!! I had problems with my phone from AT&T(cingular) I called quite a few times and the last time I told them to either replace the phone or I was going to cancel the service...So I got a Blackberry for $20....

goes to show ya where they really make their money!
doesnt hurt them one damn bit to cough up a phone. they buy so many, and get them for pennies on the dollar.

Black Hole
10-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Verizon. 3 years now with them and other than having to replace a phone at 20% less than retail after the first year (phone got wet and stopped working when I didn't have the insurance) they've been great.

I had Sprint for 5+ years, Nextel for a year (prior to the merger with Sprint) and Cincinnati Bell 3 different times and I prefer Verizon over any of them.

beefcake
10-28-2007, 08:09 PM
if your not traveling outtat the area much, cricket has been working great for me

$40 a month, unlimited anytime minutes, unlimited text, unlimited 411 calls, unlimited long distance

nobody anywhere can beat there plan

you can get north of columbus and somewhere near ky speedway and still have coverage

PonymanfiveO
10-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Cricket works with your Iphone?

beefcake
10-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Cricket works with your Iphone?

iphone i use for work for internet and stuff like that when i'm not working, i'm on their lowest minute plan just to get the data plan, i don't really do any talking on it

Holly
10-29-2007, 10:29 AM
I have been with Sprint since 1999 (same number). Never had any problems with them, upgrades every two years are CHEAP. I just got a Sprint Katana DLX over the summer, $329 phone, I got it for $79.99. I never use all my minutes. Great reception, internet, text messaging, camcorder, camara. $39.99 a month.

VuNiT3
10-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Slamming your phone against things usually doesn't make it work any better either. LOL J/K.

Nextel never used to suck so bad, I don't know what the deal is. I would like to get rid of my phone too. I don't know if I am prepared to pay the cancellation fee.

beefcake
10-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Slamming your phone against things usually doesn't make it work any better either. LOL J/K.

Nextel never used to suck so bad, I don't know what the deal is. I would like to get rid of my phone too. I don't know if I am prepared to pay the cancellation fee.

when i did the cricket, i was with cinci bell, and i was happy, especailly with no contracts, i had to pay for the cricket phones, but a year later, i'm way ahead

ewalt
10-29-2007, 11:33 AM

As a nextel customer, you can move over to sprint without paying the early termination fee. Now, you likely won't get a discount on a phone if you've gotten one on your nextel account within the last two years.

However, call and talk to retentions.

Retentions No Wait Time:
866-881-9571
877-766-7697
877-851-1832

Explain to them you're going to port out your number and wondered if you had to do anything before doing this. The reason you start the conversation off like this is to get them to think you're really gonna cancel, and porting your number out requires nothing on sprints end, it's the new carrier that does all the work. Then they'll ask you why, explain to them your phone never works blah blah blah. Tell them you know about the new power source phones that use the sprint network for voice and nextel network for direct connect, but you're not sure if you qualify for a rebate on that phone. As you probably don't they'll tell you that, and likely offer to give you a new phone at the rebated price anyway. The job of the retentions department is to keep customers from canceling.....

They even get bonuses for doing so. As soon as you call and say you wanna cancel, they mark your account "at risk". When/if they convince you to stay, the mark it "saved", and they get points towards a bonus. Just make sure you make them believe you are going to cancel. And when they ask if you called in directly or got transfered there, tell them you talked to a rep in customer service, you're not sure how you got there... they just put you on hold.

Good luck, and be nice above all, it works. Don't yell or curse at them lol, they'll mark it down in your account and that makes it harder for you to call back and talk to another rep to try and get the same thing. If it's not going well, politely hang up, call back.

One note, I know this stuff works for sprint, but I'm not sure how separate nextel is on the customer service side, so they may not be able to help. Worth a shot though.

VuNiT3
10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Wow, you know your stuff. I'm gonna have to do that then. Thanks!!!

ewalt
10-29-2007, 12:50 PM
If all that fails, you can call a department called executive services. But they are kind of a final stop, and I'd only recommend calling them as a last resort. They are more directly under the CEO of Sprint, and they get things handled usually. I'll get you the number later, as I have work to do now...

Mista Bone
10-29-2007, 02:37 PM
I've been with Nextel (Thanks Mike!) for almost three years, only problem I have is a small "hole" in the service on 275 between 5 mile and Rt 52.

I do have an old plan, out of the two year contract so they are itching to get me signed again. I like my simple i265 and service plan, 400 minutes a month 9pm-6am free for $39.99 a month. I have texting but don't use it. I HATE flip phones as they break easier.

ewalt
10-29-2007, 03:08 PM
As promised, executive services.

Executive Services:
866-398-4606

Don't call these guys until you've given retentions a couple of tries. If you do call them, I'd treat it more as a complaint call, than treating as a I'm going to cancel call that you did with retentions. If I were to call them, in your situation, I'd explain that I'm absolutely tired of the crappy service I get with nextel and want to move to sprint, but don't feel I should have to pay full price for a phone. I'd explain that new customer pricing should be available to people who are having service issues.

Like I said, this is a last resort, because if you don't get anywhere with these guys, you're not going to get anywhere with anyone else. Because they will put a note on your account and executive services does carry a lot of weight.

Whenever you call sprint, they do put notes on your account, every time. This is why I can't stress enough not to get all bent out of shape when/if you don't get what you want. Because if you start yelling, or making ridiculous claims or get too greedy, they'll be noting it, and it will make it harder and harder as you call back and try again. If you get way out of control, you can most certainly expect a high priority note on your account that never expires. The high priority notes pop up each time your account is opened, and the rep will most definitely see it, where-as regular notes they have to specifically look at them.

Just give it a few shots with retentions, I probably wouldn't call more than 2 or 3 times in a week, and try again a few times the week after if I didn't get anywhere with them. Then I'd call executive services and change my approach. Another really good thing to do, is file with the BBB. Executive services is the department that handles BBB complaints, and when they get it, they will call you.

Good luck.

juiced347
10-29-2007, 04:57 PM
i ditched nextel last year for verizon and have had much better service

nordi
10-29-2007, 06:33 PM

Matt,

That's newer version of the one I have. I have the ic502. I was having the same problem as you where I was having a lot of bad service right before I switched from my straight Nextel phone. The new power source phone does seem to have better coverage.

Nordi

PonymanfiveO
10-30-2007, 02:34 AM
I've been with Nextel (Thanks Mike!) for almost three years, only problem I have is a small "hole" in the service on 275 between 5 mile and Rt 52.

that "small hole" is more of a black hole. every time I go through there I seem to be on the phone and it gets dropped. Very frustrating.

Matt,

That's newer version of the one I have. I have the ic502. I was having the same problem as you where I was having a lot of bad service right before I switched from my straight Nextel phone. The new power source phone does seem to have better coverage.

Nordi

thanks Nordi, thats what Im hoping for. Now if DHL can get the damn thing here. It was sent "overnight" on Sat. and hasnt showed up yet. The whole worlds against me man. :lol:
When you gonna bring that Stang down and rock the rollers at MD?

Thanks for all the good info Ewalt. I was nice and curtious on the phone with Cust. Service and they took good care of me like you said they would.
I ended up getting a pretty sweet phone for a good price and hopefully some better (Sprint) coverage. :bigthumb

Mista Bone
10-30-2007, 02:59 AM
The "hole" is even worse going down Salem or Sutton toward Kellogg Ave.

Which happens about 7pm when I'm trying to call dispatch for final update.

Even worse was the WHOLE Beechmont/Eastgate area with no service, I was told it was due to tower switching WTF ever that is right at 7PM.

With Nextel I've had ONE billing error, corrected promptly.

The only other area I have service issues is around Detriot Metro Airport, EVERYONE has service issues on the Taylor side of the airport!

mach_u
10-30-2007, 07:29 AM
that "small hole" is more of a black hole. every time I go through there I seem to be on the phone and it gets dropped. Very frustrating.
That drove me nuts when I had Nextel as my work phone! Especially seeing as I live right off of five-mile and generally if I'm on a phone with a client giving technical advice - I drove all over Dayton, Wilmington, Hillboro and everywhere in between for work and I'm on the phone for 30min or more at a time. Nextel was constantly dropping calls it seemed. I would get service it places I couldn't with Sprint, T-Mobile, Cingular, Cincinnati Bell, etc. (like county offices in the middle of wilmington/hillsboro) but it would drop calls in the most random places(cruising around 275, etc.) I have Cingular now as my work phone and have pretty good service all over - actually it's improved it seems considerably over the last couple of years. I also have Sprint for my personal phone. I have been pretty happy with Sprint. It still drops calls in the strangest places but NO WHERE near as bad as Nextel did. Plus I love my phone(Upstage by Samsung)! With the extra battery pack it has had the longest battery life out of any phone I've owned. As much talking as I do on it, it's nice to only have to charge it every few days as opposed to running out before the day is out. Plus the extra battery pack works as a protectant for the phone so it hasn't got damaged(I am HARD on phones!). :bigthumb

nordi
10-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Getting closer to dynoing. Having an airflow problem right now. Seems like a mass air meter problem. Should have it fixed soon.

Nordi