PDA

View Full Version : Stupid F'ing Mistake-boned up already.

ascCapri
10-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I could kick myself right now. I started work on my 86 Notch last Monday and so far progress has been good. I got the front suspension torn down awaiting parts. The rear end swapped, awaiting parts but in position. And so I move to the floors......someone installed box tubing between the rear seat hump and the bracing for the front 2 bolts on the front seat. I had 2 problems that started to fester ever since I got the car.

1. The carpet won't lay flat-I am building this as an ultimate nice day driver. Nice exterior and interior. It will truly be the nicest Mustang I have ever owned even though it's not perfect. Anyways, I would like the ability to carry passengers, plus I oftentimes set stuff right behind the driver seat, and the 3 inch protrusion down the middle of the car was cramping my style. MM full length subs are in store for the car anyway.

2. As soon as I took the carpet out, I realized these beams were a little off. The driver was within 1 inch from front to rear with the edge of the car. The Passenger side, is off quite a bit more. Again, it affects how the carpet lays.

Back to the story at hand. I cut a notch in these two beams starting from the rear seat to the rear of the front seat, and then at a slow angle up under the seat. The overall height of this beam was now going to be 1 inch tall and I figure I can pad the carpet to either side to make it perfect.

Well to make a long story even longer, I went to town cutting and grinding for the past 3 days, welding, grinding some more.....finish up, start vacuuming and realize I made the dumbest, most absent-minded mistake I have made in a while......I didn't cover the windows. The front, side 1/4's and rear (defrost) from this low mileage car are now shot. :mad:

I was admiring this fact alone while sitting on the floor of that car before I started work. I specifically noticed how smooth and not chipped the glass was. The whole car has proven to be the cleanest Fox I have ever had. I have never spent more than 2k on a car, and since this was a roller, I got a hell of a deal from a fellow member. I have waited a long time to be able to put together a truly nice car, and I found it. It has grown in just the past week from a fun winter project into visions of major corner-carving and major power. Just writing this, I am slowly calming down, but I serious said Mother f*cker about 100 times in the garage this evening, and I am not proud in the slightest. What a freaking dumbass move!!!!

Is glass reasonable for these cars. I have always just bought junkyard windows as long as they weren't chipped, but damn there is a big difference between the scratched up, pitted, hazy glass that I am used to looking through and new stuff.

ascCapri
10-29-2007, 11:18 PM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/asccapri/86%20Notch/notch86.jpg

Here she is after a bath last Sunday. Right before going under the knife. :(

Black Horse
10-30-2007, 06:05 AM
You might try polishing the glass first before you go replacing it all....it may not be as bad as you think.

plated
10-30-2007, 07:15 AM
shit happens man,let it go,learn from it and move on,check with glassman about new glass,he may have a hookup on new?and he can install.....by the way i like the black door mouldings on the foureyed cars,good decision. jacks on kellog will have cheap used glass

JonS
10-30-2007, 07:23 AM
That thing will be really cool when it's done, with some wheels it would be really cool now. I would try polishing the glass and see how bad it really is.

ascCapri
10-30-2007, 07:33 AM
You might try polishing the glass first before you go replacing it all....it may not be as bad as you think.

Well, I don't think polishing will help, as the metal chips are stuck to the glass. I scraped an area with a razor, and it appears the glass has slight indents where the chips were. It seems pretty rough to the touch, even when scraped. Almost as if the metal made the glass blister. I still can't believe I did this. I have never done this kind of work inside a car before (grinding, etc.), but I should have known after building a grinding face shield/helmet/turtleneck for myself out of rags, beanie, and welding helmet due to the extreme tingling sensation I would get everytime chips would land in my hair or down my shirt.

glassman
10-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Not to bring you down more but most of the time you will not be able to get them clean because the hot metal has etched the glass. I just put a windshield in Craig's old car because of the same thing.
It's just one of those things that happens don't get to pissed at youself. Let me know if I can help you out.

Jason @ Auto Pro Glass 232-2110

R825OH
10-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Bummer Man!! Try 50 Resto

ascCapri
10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Not to bring you down more but most of the time you will not be able to get them clean because the hot metal has etched the glass. I just put a windshield in Craig's old car because of the same thing.
It's just one of those things that happens don't get to pissed at youself. Let me know if I can help you out.

Jason @ Auto Pro Glass 232-2110

Hey Jason,

I would assume you are the same Jason I met many moons ago driving around with my 2 dogs wasting time for a pizza to be ready, and came across your fleet. Shortly thereafter, you put in the used shield I had for the 86 McLaren. I would say at least 6 or 7 years ago. If so :bigthumb pleasure to meet you again. If not, cool with me, I would love to give a fellow SBZ member some $$ and beer and food.

In any case, I will be hitting you up for front and rears. I might have a line on some sides, but we'll see. Thanks for your help. Check your PM's.

JonS-Those ten holes are outfitted in snow tires for my daily driver, and let me tell you. It feels like it would lift the wheels off the ground with these skinny things. They hook like crazy, and shake the hell out the glovebox open on rainy days....But they are going on the Capri in the next month, and the Notch is going to be sitting on these.....

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/asccapri/86%20Notch/notch86wheel.jpg

89notch
10-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Did you buy this from Todds86?

PonymanfiveO
10-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Dont get too upset man. Its still a 4 eye car to drool over. Im in love with the few pics I have seen. lesson learned, chalk it up, move on. Get Jason out there with some glass and move on with the next project. oh and I wanna see some more pics of that fine ass car!

ascCapri
10-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Did you buy this from Todds86?

You betcha....hell of a nice guy to meet.

PonymanfiveO
10-30-2007, 09:25 PM
dont hate me too much but....NOW YOU KNOW!!!!! COVER THE GLASS OR LOSE YOUR ASS!!!!!

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL366/1161904/15403940/285329445.jpg

:D :D :D

glassman
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=ascCapri;318768]Hey Jason,

I would assume you are the same Jason I met many moons ago driving around with my 2 dogs wasting time for a pizza to be ready, and came across your fleet. Shortly thereafter, you put in the used shield I had for the 86 McLaren. I would say at least 6 or 7 years ago. If so :bigthumb pleasure to meet you again. If not, cool with me, I would love to give a fellow SBZ member some $$ and beer and food.

In any case, I will be hitting you up for front and rears. I might have a line on some sides, but we'll see. Thanks for your help. Check your PM's.

yep it's me.

Stangman
11-01-2007, 12:50 PM
dont hate me too much but....NOW YOU KNOW!!!!! COVER THE GLASS OR LOSE YOUR ASS!!!!!

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL366/1161904/15403940/285329445.jpg

:D :D :D

Removing LX spoiler mounting holes Matt?? If so... i need tips on removing those and adding GT spoiler mounting holes...

BigBadStang
11-01-2007, 06:21 PM
good looking, clean stang man!

btw...nice wheel chock! ;)