PDA

View Full Version : School Me: Valley Girdle - What is it?

PaulFiveOh
10-30-2007, 08:53 PM
I saw a video online of something called a valley girdle.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FSlWuiWokdw

Is this something that can help my setup? (All aftermarket bottom end including main girdle w/ STOCK block?

Thanks.

JonS
10-31-2007, 07:02 AM
The general thought is that valley girdles are useless and a waste of money. There have been pages and pages of arguing between Horsepower sales and other people on other forums. In my opinion nothing short of a good block is gonna fix weak block problems.

Jeff88coupe
10-31-2007, 08:20 AM
Yep....I think it's pretty much just a useless part. Do a search on the corral about them...you will find TONS of threads about it. There has never been any real world proof shown by the manufacture that the VG actually works that I've seen. I'd save your money to put toward a good block.

facemelter71
10-31-2007, 08:40 AM
I personally got one of there pamphlets i think from the cbus swap meet,My thoughts are that a good block will keep you from splittin your good stuff in half.That and really bad engine harmonics will destroy a good block.

PaulFiveOh
10-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Got it.

Thanks for the info guys.

Timido
10-31-2007, 04:50 PM
If you have a stock block and want to make it live I was told with mine to keep the RPMs reasonable and run very reasonable timing.

NXcoupe
11-01-2007, 10:53 AM
I agree with everyone, and just wanted to add that these blocks split from the mains upward, so the bracing under the intake is worthless. It's caused by the crank pushing the main caps downward, causing them to float, that causes the harmonics to go apeshit and the cracks start in the oil holes in the saddles. I used to have a nice example.

Timido
11-01-2007, 04:26 PM
I am sure the cap walk on the 2 bolt mains doesnt help

NXcoupe
11-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah, a two bolt block just isn't the way to go for high hp applications. I guess if someone is worried their block needs those little straps to keep it together, they really should think about a Dart or Boss block instead. I also just thought of something else. If all it took were those stupid straps to keep a block from breaking, then why isn't every racer using those instead of a dart block? It's a heck of a lot cheaper than a Dart or Boss!