PDA

View Full Version : Guitar / Amp question

Blacksunshine
10-31-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm new to the " Tube Amp" scene....anyways ,About 6 or so months ago, my son and I were jamming on the guitar and right when I turned it on ( the amp with no warm up ) (it was cranked to about 6 )and bam "one power heavy metal cord later "and then pop ,poof and at last the Puff of somke......
It's just a guitar research head with one tube. Does the tube give up the smoke when it bites the dust? I have since replaced this amp ,however I'd like to run both guitars at the same time.??? what do you think? I took a day off , so I'm going to mess with it for a while.

Holly
10-31-2007, 09:14 AM
You should ask your buddy Jeff (Jester), he would probably be able to answer that question for you. ;)

Or Auston (Anderson) or Jason (axetone) - both are excellent when it comes to guitars and amps. I can't tell you how many evenings Jeff, Auston, and Jason spent in our (or their) basements playing music. I miss all that noise. :lol:

Stangman
11-01-2007, 10:06 PM
If im not mistaken... Tube Amps get very hot... and if you are running 2 guitars i think that makes it ever worse..

Ive got a very old amp that is a tube amp, and if you play on it for a while it tends to get hot...

I know this and i dont even know how to play guitar (even though i have 4 guitars and an amp :rolleyes: )

95turbocharged
11-02-2007, 12:45 AM
if it smoked its a gonner! tube amps (brand new or old) can blow out in a heartbeat. I have a fender that blew up twice in the same day(the day I bought it) the third one has been going strong for about 3 years now. So you just never know

venomous_svt
11-02-2007, 01:33 AM
You have a valvestate...hybrid...sounds like if it only has one tube...if its a 12ax7, which it should be....go up to guitar center or willis and pick one up if you open it up and the tube is black or discolored in the center. It will be easy to tell. Just google a pic of a new tube as reference if you need too...The smoke concerns me as it could have fried the board or the transistor. It would have a very strong smell to it....a tube wont smoke unless something wicked happened ie water or power surge from hell!....trust me...ask anyone that has seen one of our shows...I put my gear through hell! I have owned just about anything you could think up in guitar gear...buy a mesa if its a gonner, you can never go wrong.

side note....always let your amp warm up a min or 2 before you crank the distortion... tube or not...

Greg Seibert
11-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Tubes don't smoke respectively, but they can internally short and that will take out components in the power supply circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, chokes, diodes, etc... and they will definitly smoke. When attempting repairs on units such as this, the main consideration is the cost of repairs vs replacement cost.