PDA

View Full Version : RIP Brigadier General Paul Tibbets

DSSKing68
11-01-2007, 12:03 PM
A Great American dies....I had the pleasure of spending time with him in 2005, he was a spirited one. A true hero who wasn't afraid to speak his mind. Fly high and into the sunset, and may you always have a strong tailwind.

Pilot of Plane That Dropped A-Bomb Dies

By JULIE CARR SMYTH

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Paul Tibbets, who piloted the B-29 bomber Enola Gay that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, died Thursday. He was 92 and insisted almost to his dying day that he had no regrets about the mission and slept just fine at night.

Tibbets died at his Columbus home, said Gerry Newhouse, a longtime friend. He suffered from a variety of health problems and had been in decline for two months.

Tibbets had requested no funeral and no headstone, fearing it would provide his detractors with a place to protest, Newhouse said.

Tibbets' historic mission in the plane named for his mother marked the beginning of the end of World War II and eliminated the need for what military planners feared would have been an extraordinarily bloody invasion of Japan. It was the first use of a nuclear weapon in wartime.

The plane and its crew of 14 dropped the five-ton "Little Boy" bomb on the morning of Aug. 6, 1945. The blast killed 70,000 to 100,000 people and injured countless others.

Three days later, the United States dropped a second nuclear bomb on Nagasaki, Japan, killing an estimated 40,000 people. Tibbets did not fly in that mission. The Japanese surrendered a few days later, ending the war.

"I knew when I got the assignment it was going to be an emotional thing," Tibbets told The Columbus Dispatch for a story on Aug. 6, 2005, the 60th anniversary of the bomb. "We had feelings, but we had to put them in the background. We knew it was going to kill people right and left. But my one driving interest was to do the best job I could so that we could end the killing as quickly as possible."

Tibbets, then a 30-year-old colonel, never expressed regret over his role. He said it was his patriotic duty and the right thing to do.

"I'm not proud that I killed 80,000 people, but I'm proud that I was able to start with nothing, plan it and have it work as perfectly as it did," he said in a 1975 interview.

"You've got to take stock and assess the situation at that time. We were at war. ... You use anything at your disposal."

He added: "I sleep clearly every night."

Paul Warfield Tibbets Jr. was born Feb. 23, 1915, in Quincy, Ill., and spent most of his boyhood in Miami.

He was a student at the University of Cincinnati's medical school when he decided to withdraw in 1937 to enlist in the Army Air Corps.

After the war, Tibbets said in 2005, he was dogged by rumors claiming he was in prison or had committed suicide.

"They said I was crazy, said I was a drunkard, in and out of institutions," he said. "At the time, I was running the National Crisis Center at the Pentagon."

Tibbets retired from the Air Force as a brigadier general in 1966. He later moved to Columbus, where he ran an air taxi service until he retired in 1985.

But his role in the bombing brought him fame - and infamy - throughout his life.

In 1976, he was criticized for re-enacting the bombing during an appearance at a Harlingen, Texas, air show. As he flew a B-29 Superfortress over the show, a bomb set off on the runway below created a mushroom cloud.

He said the display "was not intended to insult anybody," but the Japanese were outraged. The U.S. government later issued a formal apology.

Tibbets again defended the bombing in 1995, when an outcry erupted over a planned 50th anniversary exhibit of the Enola Gay at the Smithsonian Institution.

The museum had planned to mount an exhibit that would have examined the context of the bombing, including the discussion within the Truman administration of whether to use the bomb, the rejection of a demonstration bombing and the selection of the target.

Veterans groups objected that it paid too much attention to Japan's suffering and too little to Japan's brutality during and before World War II, and that it underestimated the number of Americans who would have perished in an invasion.

They said the bombing of Japan was an unmitigated blessing for the United States and its fighting men and the exhibit should say so.

Tibbets denounced it as "a damn big insult."

The museum changed its plan, and agreed to display the fuselage of the Enola Gay without commentary, context or analysis.

He told the Dispatch in 2005 he wanted his ashes scattered over the English Channel, where he loved to fly during the war.

theyallslow
11-01-2007, 12:32 PM
God speed

Greg Seibert
11-01-2007, 05:15 PM
"I'll smack your fingers", the 90 year old General told me, as I attempted to correct where he was about to sign my copy of the book, Enola Gay. I met him at a Relic Collectors show in Louisville several years ago, where he and Dutch Vankirk, navigator on the mission over Hiroshima were signing autographs and answering questions about their epic flight. When viewing the newly restored Enola Gay aircraft at the Smithsonian in D.C., Dutch asked Paul what he thought of the plane, and he replied, "let's fuel her up and fly her"!
Happy landing.
Thanks General.:bigthumb

Katmandu
11-04-2007, 08:51 PM
God Bless B.General Tibbetts. http://katmanduonline.net/smilies/usa.gif

Back in the 1990s, I had the very very fortunate opportunity to meet and Gen Tibbetts and his wife several times.

I was on Active Duty USAF at the time and was serving as a Medical Technologist (Lab Tech) at Wright-Patterson AFB. One of my primary jobs back then was the NCOIC of the Medical Center's Blood Donor Center.

Part of my job consisted of drawing units of blood (pint w/16ga needle) from Autologous blood donors. Autologous donations are where a patient donates (stocks up) their OWN blood for an upcoming surgery.

Well, Gen.Tibbetts just happened to become one of my patients. He was scheduled for a surgery and chose to donate his own blood. I actually ended up drawing (4) Autologous units from him over a (6) week period.

I didn't know exactly who he was after our 1st meeting.... I had to go see our Staff Pathologist to obtain approval on some of his paper work. When the pathologist looked at it he said excitedly...."Do you have any idea who this man is" ?? I shrugged my shoulders and said no. He then briefed me who Gen Tibbetts was and his place in history.

I'll always remember walking out into the lab's packed waiting room and calling out "General Tibbetts". Everyone just turned and stared. Pretty cooling seeing the respect this man commanded!

Several years after this, I saw in the Troy paper that Gen Tibbetts was coming to local bookstore here in Troy for a book signing. I went there and once again met up with Gen Tibbetts. We had a long chat. Very nice down to earth man he was.

I ended up buying a couple books and pictures of which he autographed. I gave one book to an AF buddy of mine and saved the other for myself. Well....a couple days later, my new puppy decided to EAT it for a snack!! Oh well!!

The memories of meeting Gen.Tibbetts will always remain with me.

RIP Gen Tibbetts http://katmanduonline.net/smilies/usa.gif

R.Schultz
Retired USAF MSgt.

02mingryGT
11-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Great post guys. I don't know if you've had the chance to see the documentary "The War" by Ken Burns but I suggest everyone who has an interest watch it. It will give you an idea of why the Greatest Generation has such a feeling of hatred and no remorse for the Japanese to this day. It's funny how everyone in Japan likes to talk about how we nuked them but conveniently "forget" the millions of Chinese civilians and thousands of American POW's they slaughtered. The documentary also has some interesting insights into the social climate here in the United States during the war.

2-8-1
11-06-2007, 10:27 PM
RIP and Godspeed.

I hear that either his Son or Grandson pilots a Spirit, on Whiteman, it seems to be in the family.

It's funny how everyone in Japan likes to talk about how we nuked them but conveniently "forget" the millions of Chinese civilians and thousands of American POW's they slaughtered.

It's not the blood of Japan that is on Gen. Tibbett's hands, no. In them however, are the hundreds of thousands of American Soldier's Live's that were saved Aug 6, 1945.

Katmandu
11-07-2007, 04:22 AM
It's not the blood of Japan that is on Gen. Tibbett's hands, no. In them however, are the hundreds of thousands of American Soldier's Live's that were saved Aug 6, 1945.So true. :bigthumb

Katmandu
11-07-2007, 04:30 AM
It's funny how everyone in Japan likes to talk about how we nuked them but conveniently "forget" the millions of Chinese civilians and thousands of American POW's they slaughtered. The documentary also has some interesting insights into the social climate here in the United States during the war.History is an amazing subject. :cool2:

It's very interesting to me studying the Social climate of our "young" (231 years old) Democracy as we take a stand against extremist from an ancient (700+ yo) society. Folks can gain much understanding by studying past history!

It's incredible how History often repeats itself. Look at teenagers haircuts today for instance! :eek: Remember the early 70s! :lol:

Greg Seibert
11-07-2007, 09:15 AM
It's funny how everyone in Japan likes to talk about how we nuked them but conveniently "forget" the millions of Chinese civilians and thousands of American POW's they slaughtered.
The fact of the matter is, the Fire Bombings of 67 cities in Japan killed far more than the two "don't know if they'll even go off" Silverplate devices. Little known to the public, the Japanese had an atomic program, had twelve thousand planes hidden, received rocket, jet, and bomb making material from Germany, and had plenty of suicidal pilots to deliver them. General Tibbets understood who he was dealing with. That's what made him great.

02mingryGT
11-07-2007, 11:31 AM
The fact of the matter is, the Fire Bombings of 67 cities in Japan killed far more than the two "don't know if they'll even go off" Silverplate devices. Little known to the public, the Japanese had an atomic program, had twelve thousand planes hidden, received rocket, jet, and bomb making material from Germany, and had plenty of suicidal pilots to deliver them. General Tibbets understood who he was dealing with. That's what made him great.

Oh yeah totally agree. A lot of people don't realize that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were chosen not for their military value but more because of the fact neither had been bombed and thus would be virgin sites to test the damage caused by the devices.

I read "Flags of Our Fathers" a couple of weeks ago. Good book, recommend it to you all if you haven't yet. I'm reading another book currently on the latest Gulf War and aftermath. Called "Cobra II". Seems okay so far.

Greg Seibert
11-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Sounds like a good read 02.
Thanks.