PDA

View Full Version : Shock Tower seam rust?

5.0calypso93lx
11-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Pulled the engine from Brandon's car this weekend, and found a nice sized hole in the seam that connects the shock tower to the k member. Can this be fixed? Is this something to be concerned with or can we just spray something to stop the rust where it is?

http://img2.putfile.com/main/11/30719233839.jpg

MFIELD
11-04-2007, 08:52 PM
It can be, but you are going to have to get it sandblasted and cut out the metal that is bad and plate that rail with some good metal.

5.0calypso93lx
11-04-2007, 08:56 PM
It can be, but you are going to have to get it sandblasted and cut out the metal that is bad and plate that rail with some good metal.

I was hoping you'd reply :)

Is it worth messing with do you think? Sounds like a TON of work.

MFIELD
11-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Its a whole lot less work than finding another car. Are both sides that way? It shouldnt be that bad just get it clean and cut it back to good metal and put some good metal back in, just make sure you use at least the same gauge your cutting out. Dont just put sheet metal in there. Where is the car at, I could come and look at it if its somewhat close. Maybe even lend a hand for a small fee :cool2::bigthumb

5.0calypso93lx
11-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Its a whole lot less work than finding another car. Are both sides that way? It shouldnt be that bad just get it clean and cut it back to good metal and put some good metal back in, just make sure you use at least the same gauge your cutting out. Dont just put sheet metal in there. Where is the car at, I could come and look at it if its somewhat close. Maybe even lend a hand for a small fee :cool2::bigthumb

There is some rust on the other side, but its not a hole like the passenger side. The car is in Fairfield, which is a pretty good drive from you. You have a pm.

MFIELD
11-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Back at ya.

Carl
11-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Talk to Matt, he rebuilt the front frame rails on his car too.

Rob
11-05-2007, 10:49 AM
I had to do the same on my car. It does take some time but it is necessary.
I cut out the inside and outside where the k-member bolts in. If you need any direction shoot me a pm Good Luck:bigthumb

PonymanfiveO
11-05-2007, 10:53 PM
I have tons of pics and how-to in my build thread. read the first five pages or so and you'll see its not that bad of a job. Just time consuming if your anal like me. :D