PDA

View Full Version : How to remove A LOT of staples from the floor?

satan jamez
11-04-2007, 10:47 PM
I am removing some laminate flooring from the kitchen :) Beneath there is hardwood flooring. The previous owner placed 4 x 8 sheets of board on to of the hardwood and stapled it down before laying the laminate flooring. I can pull the board up that has been stapled down but that leaves me with about two thousand staples sticking up 1/4" and I want to remove them. I need an efficient way to remove these suckers. Just gripping them with pliers and pulling has little to no result since they are about 1/2" deep and into the sub-floor. I will be refinishing this floor so I must remove the staples without futher damage.

Thanks,
Bob

MrsAPE
11-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Have no idea.
Why would anyone cover up hardwood floor like that?!
Good luck with it!!

DeckerEnt
11-05-2007, 08:24 AM
I have done this and it is no fun. Needle nose pliers, larger pliers, a small flat blade screwdriver, those seem to work the best. Just pick a corner and start pulling. Take your time as not to scratch any more than needed. Good luck.
Keith

R825OH
11-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Bummer Man! Yep needle nose pliers or a pair of linesmans pliers

02mingryGT
11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
What you need is a pry bar. Looks like below. I'd buy some knee pads as well since your going to be on your knees for awhile. You also need all the tools Keith mentioned above. Scrap the staples with the bar and then pull the ones that don't come up with the pliers. I would not suggest using a screwdriver if your trying not to damage the floor. My oldest brother works for Montgomery hardwood and my younger brother works for Hammond's so if you need it refinished I can ask them if they can do it.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g288/cjglancy/prybar.jpg

Mr.Moontang
11-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Go to your nearest Home Depot pull up out front and wave a twenty before you know it you will have a whole crew of hard workers...

MrsAPE
11-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Go to your nearest Home Depot pull up out front and wave a twenty before you know it you will have a whole crew of hard workers...

Sounds like a man who knows what he's talking about!! :cool1:

glassman
11-06-2007, 08:07 PM

It's true........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1xdt_BtJE

Love this guy!!!:rofl::rofl:
:flipoff: beaner
"thin the herd":lol:
Maybee we should all do this a few times a week! hmmmm........

95turbocharged
11-06-2007, 11:22 PM
I do flooring what you need is channel locks. grip the base of the staple and use the roll of the channel lock to roll out the staple but use a peice of cardboard to put under the channel lock so you dont dent the hardwood or you will have a hard time getting the dents out of it! what ever you do DO NOT TRY TO SCRAP THE STAPLES OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you break off the staple you will not be able to get it out and when you go to refinish the wood you will tear up your sand paper on you floorsander and edger!!

Ryan218
11-06-2007, 11:51 PM
needle nose pliers...twist as you pull...

satan jamez
11-07-2007, 09:08 AM
I do flooring what you need is channel locks. grip the base of the staple and use the roll of the channel lock to roll out the staple but use a peice of cardboard to put under the channel lock so you dont dent the hardwood or you will have a hard time getting the dents out of it! what ever you do DO NOT TRY TO SCRAP THE STAPLES OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you break off the staple you will not be able to get it out and when you go to refinish the wood you will tear up your sand paper on you floorsander and edger!!

This is what method I have chosen to use. It is the most efficient way so far :)

Thanks guys :bigthumb

satan jamez
11-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I wondered how much it cost to have it refinished? Should I call and give them the square footage or will they need to drive out here and give me a quote?

Thanks again!
Bob

R825OH
11-07-2007, 11:14 AM
They will come do a free estimate usually. We had Hall's do uor first floor. We have 1600 sq. ft. of hardwood down there and it was like $1700.00 to Sand and put down semi-gloss poly

02mingryGT
11-07-2007, 11:24 AM

Uh no. If you break the staple you use a nail set to knock it beneath the surface. Which is what you do when you set your top nails. The channel locks is another good idea but will take him days to get done.

Not questioning your credentials because I know how everyone who does this type of work thinks they're the greatest, but who do you work for and how long have you been doing this type of work? I know and have worked with people who have been doing this type of work for 30-40 years and they are the ones who have told me to use a scaper. Just wondering.

02mingryGT
11-07-2007, 01:52 PM
I wondered how much it cost to have it refinished? Should I call and give them the square footage or will they need to drive out here and give me a quote?

Thanks again!
Bob

They'll come out and measure themselves and check the floor for any additional issues. Some places are higher than others. The above post seems super cheap. Most refinishes are at least 1.50 a sq ft. I would ask for examples of work a company has done as well. I would also find out how many coats of poly are being put down. I would think the above post was (2) coats which I don't recommend. You need at least (3). You also need to check on the brand of poly being used.

I'm not saying a cheaper price points to less quality but I've done this work and have a cousin who runs his own business(Atl) and know what they pay for materials. No way you can make money without cutting something somewhere.

R825OH
11-07-2007, 03:59 PM
They'll come out and measure themselves and check the floor for any additional issues. Some places are higher than others. The above post seems super cheap. Most refinishes are at least 1.50 a sq ft. I would ask for examples of work a company has done as well. I would also find out how many coats of poly are being put down. I would think the above post was (2) coats which I don't recommend. You need at least (3). You also need to check on the brand of poly being used.

I'm not saying a cheaper price points to less quality but I've done this work and have a cousin who runs his own business(Atl) and know what they pay for materials. No way you can make money without cutting something somewhere.

Yeah I probably got a little break cuz I worked for them along time ago

95turbocharged
11-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Uh no. If you break the staple you use a nail set to knock it beneath the surface. Which is what you do when you set your top nails. The channel locks is another good idea but will take him days to get done.

Not questioning your credentials because I know how everyone who does this type of work thinks they're the greatest, but who do you work for and how long have you been doing this type of work? I know and have worked with people who have been doing this type of work for 30-40 years and they are the ones who have told me to use a scaper. Just wondering.

well I have been installing for about 19 years now its all I have ever done so that being said if you use a scraper it can put big scratches that alot of the time wont come out when you sand the floor and if you have to use a nail set to much it can make for even bigger holes than the staples.

make sure who ever you call to get a quote has references and pics of work. The prices usualy range from 1.50 and up. I know a real good finisher he does all site finish work. He has about 20+ years exp. his name is ethan kendall pm for his #:bigthumb

PaulFiveOh
11-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Good luck getting a nice finished look with a million staple holes in your material...?

satan jamez
11-08-2007, 06:07 AM
Good luck getting a nice finished look with a million staple holes in your material...?

That's what I keep telling my wife...

02mingryGT
11-08-2007, 10:29 AM
well I have been installing for about 19 years now its all I have ever done so that being said if you use a scraper it can put big scratches that alot of the time wont come out when you sand the floor and if you have to use a nail set to much it can make for even bigger holes than the staples.

Cool. Not going to argue preferences with you. I will say that's what Zar is for.

02mingryGT
11-08-2007, 10:31 AM
That's what I keep telling my wife...

It's not going to look as good as new wood obviously but if they zar the floor before they cut it the second time it should be okay.