PDA

View Full Version : Fluid for T45

cstreu1026
11-08-2007, 03:10 PM
What is best to use in a T45 and how much do I need? I read a couple of things that seem to suggest GM Syncromesh would be a good choice for long life and smooth shifts. Is that correct?

5.0calypso93lx
11-08-2007, 03:27 PM
I switched from redline to the GM synchromesh, and I loved the synchromesh way better, IMO. I'll never run anything but that again. Granted this was in a T-5, but I have also been recomended to run the same thing in the T-56. I also run BG Synchroshift II in my sentra's 6 speed trans, but that is specifically made for FWD's with diff's in the trans. I love it too, and I'm sure its very close to the GM stuff.

Drivermod
11-08-2007, 03:38 PM
I sued the Penzoil version of syncromesh from autozone and it made a big improvement over the ole standard atf.

Black Horse
11-08-2007, 03:59 PM
The GM Synchromesh is the only thing to run. The "just like only different" stuff just doenst cut it the way the GM stuff does. You can notice the shift quality as soon as you make your first shift.

Works great in the TR3550's, TKO's too!

2-8-1
11-10-2007, 12:47 AM
GM Synchromesh? I've been running Mobile 1 Synth stuff.

Blackout
11-10-2007, 12:53 PM
I wonder if everyone on here would give a little input on this question. As all of us t-45 destroyers want to know the best way to preserve the syncro's in these transmissions. I have 2 t-45's sitting in my garage and I am driving on a t-3650 that I know won't last after I put my blower on the car.

Mista Bone
11-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I known I haven't seen a RWD tranny apart, since I do Honda FWD trannys.

You REALLY have to try to MASH the brass, once you've damaged the synchros, you've already damaged the dog teeth on the gear and the slider.

I have a rule of thumb.....if some (Honda) states they have bad synchros, they have no clue or a really messed up tranny.

Brass synchros are just brake pads, a wear item. Synthetic fluids due to be more slippery reguire GREAT force on the shifter/synchro to provide the needed braking action to make the gearspeed to change gears. Myself I scuff the gear cones on rebuilds to allow the synchro to get a better BITE, thus better braking action. The cones will again become polished, but bi-yearly rebuilds on SCCA trannys and all is fine.

They are also prone to breaking the shifter forks (I call them shitter forks) in the 88-95, everyone wants the stronger steel forks in the 96-00 trannys.

One MAJOR problem, since the $75 fork isn't flexing, your damaging a $300 gear set.

Honda's get 10w30 motor oil unless the TorSen style LSD is installed, then Pennzsoil Synchromesh does fine.

PLEASE never gear oil thinking it will quiet the tranny down. The oil will be too thick to travel down the gearshaft to lube the roller bearings, you'll end up burning up the whole tranny.

PS: if anyone has a JUNK exploded POS junker T-whatever 5 speed tranny, I'll buy you a case of beer in exchange for it.

Bored with Hondas, although they are paying the bills I wish to learn and attempt to master a new style tranny.

Blackout
11-10-2007, 10:05 PM
I am getting ready to try a rebuild on one of the transmissions. The t-45's have Kevlar synco's exept for the reverse gear wich has brass.