PDA

View Full Version : What process to follow to have a clean/organized H/C/I installation?

5.0calypso93lx
11-11-2007, 06:33 PM
what order should I do the h/c/i in? I don't have unlimited funds, so I'd prefer to have a strategy going into this, so I don't have parts I need later than sooner, and not have parts/tools that I should have for that particular time?

The first thing I'm going to do is take the heads to BES, and have them checked out. Ed Curtis told me to have them pressure checked and the valve job cleaned up. Then install the right valve springs(although I need to know my cam specs before I can know which valve springs to get, right?)

After that, I plan to buy the Harland Sharp, Trick Flow head specific 1.6 rockers.

Whats next?

Get the cam ground, and install it, and degree it? Then maybe put the heads on, and check push rod length, get the right pushrods, and then check piston to valve clearance?

93hulk
11-11-2007, 09:31 PM
what order should I do the h/c/i in? I don't have unlimited funds, so I'd prefer to have a strategy going into this, so I don't have parts I need later than sooner, and not have parts/tools that I should have for that particular time?

The first thing I'm going to do is take the heads to BES, and have them checked out. Ed Curtis told me to have them pressure checked and the valve job cleaned up. Then install the right valve springs(although I need to know my cam specs before I can know which valve springs to get, right?)

After that, I plan to buy the Harland Sharp, Trick Flow head specific 1.6 rockers.

Whats next?

Get the cam ground, and install it, and degree it? Then maybe put the heads on, and check push rod length, get the right pushrods, and then check piston to valve clearance?

So I asume your going with a custom cam? You should have all the info for your cam because the springs that you have may work. You will need to get the right lenghth pushrods and replace the timing set with a good double roller set. I would even get new head bolts(ARP), and run a good quaility gasket. If you plan on staying N/A 1011-2 Felpro head gaskets work well.

5.0calypso93lx
11-11-2007, 09:48 PM
So I asume your going with a custom cam? You should have all the info for your cam because the springs that you have may work. You will need to get the right lenghth pushrods and replace the timing set with a good double roller set. I would even get new head bolts(ARP), and run a good quaility gasket. If you plan on staying N/A 1011-2 Felpro head gaskets work well.

Yes, Ed Curtis at FTI will be grinding the cam. I just thought it was weird for him to tell me to get the right springs when I have the heads checked, because he needs to know details on the heads before he can grind me a cam!

I will definately be buying a new double roller timing chain. I have been looking at this one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?CP=1&part=TFS-51478520&N=700%200&Ntt=CRN~44984~1%20or%20SUM~G6651~B%20or%20TFS~5147 8520%20or%20SUM~G6620~B&Ntk=&rsview=sku&Ns=

I am definately also going with ARP head studs, and new gaskets all throughout. Those Felpro head gaskets are MUCH cheaper than I was anticipating on spending!

I plan on doing all of the work myself including degreeing the cam, measuring for pushrod length, checking piston to valve clearance, assembling the top end, and I would eventually like to be able to tune the TwEECer myself.

Thanks for the info Mark.

Jeff88coupe
11-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Go see craig for all your gaskets, timing chain, head bolts. i'd use either the felpro 9333's or ROL's. You can get either at autozone.

5.0calypso93lx
11-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Go see craig for all your gaskets, timing chain, head bolts. i'd use either the felpro 9333's or ROL's. You can get either at autozone.

I have a HUGE list of things I need to get from him. I'll be over there a lot this winter. What's the difference between the 9333's and the 1011-1's?

kennebellcobra
11-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I would just ask Ed what springs to use that way you can have your heads ready.

5.0calypso93lx
11-11-2007, 11:19 PM
I would just ask Ed what springs to use that way you can have your heads ready.

Thats the thing though, he needs the information on the heads, before he can grind me a cam. I'm taking the heads to BES this week to have them checked, and they might need to be milled, and who knows what else, if BES finds anything else. That info sheet I have to fill out for the cam is crazy, and half the stuff I don't even know anyway. I like how thorough he is though.

331TwistedWedge
11-11-2007, 11:24 PM
after curt (12seclx) ran that 12.13 at 110.6 mph, i would go to the junk yard and pull a mountaineer motor ... stick a mustang cam in there ... then go to craig and dyno tune it ... 292 rwhp and 332 rwtq is sick for that combo ...

5.0calypso93lx
11-11-2007, 11:26 PM
after curt (12seclx) ran that 12.13 at 110.6 mph, i would go to the junk yard and pull a mountaineer motor ... stick a mustang cam in there ... then go to craig and dyno tune it ... 292 rwhp and 332 rwtq is sick for that combo ...

Already have new stuff on the way.

331TwistedWedge
11-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Already have new stuff on the way.

whats your heads and intake combo? ... did u stick with the trick flow heads and systemax intake?

5.0calypso93lx
11-11-2007, 11:30 PM
whats your heads and intake combo? ... did u stick with the trick flow heads and systemax intake?

Yep, heads will be here tomorrow. Just got a power pipe yesterday. Hope to have a good running car next year.

331TwistedWedge
11-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Yep, heads will be here tomorrow.

that should be a stout little combo ... go get it dyno tuned and post the numbers ... you should run a deep 12 with a good cam ...

5.0calypso93lx
11-11-2007, 11:45 PM
that should be a stout little combo ... go get it dyno tuned and post the numbers ... you should run a deep 12 with a good cam ...

I hope so. I'll take it down to Craig's once I figure out how to use a twEECer and get a good tune on it.

Goal is 310 at the wheels, and if Curt is running 12.1x's with not even 280hp, who knows? Its going to be an expensive winter....

95redstang
11-12-2007, 12:01 AM
I hope so. I'll take it down to Craig's once I figure out how to use a twEECer and get a good tune on it.

Goal is 310 at the wheels, and if Curt is running 12.1x's with not even 280hp, who knows? Its going to be an expensive winter....

All car projects are expensive..I'm still collecting cans and pop bottles to finish mine..:lol:

Ryan218
11-18-2007, 10:20 PM
All car projects are expensive..I'm still collecting cans and pop bottles to finish mine..:lol:

lol...your not the only one.

5.0calypso93lx
11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
lol...your not the only one.

LOL, well good thing I have most of the expensive stuff bought.

I've been reading that TwEECer manual and it really doesn't seem that bad? I didn't know that WOT was run in open loop? And I didn't know open loop doesn't use the readings from the O2 sensors? Still a little confused on what the KAMRF data is though. Sounds like I'll at least be able to get the car running though.

12seclx
11-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Hey! Get that Tweecer figured out so I can pick one up
next year and cross my fingers for 300hp/335tq at the wheels...
:lol:

I do want to learn about that set-up though...
I'm totally bummed about my car... this thing won't
even sixty foot in the 1.5's on a slick... :mad:
I got almost the same hp and tq as a broke F/S racer
now-a-days but alot better suspension... they are
hooking 1.58-1.60's on Drag Radials!

I'm struggling to go 1.65..... :o

5.0calypso93lx
11-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey! Get that Tweecer figured out so I can pick one up
next year and cross my fingers for 300hp/335tq at the wheels...
:lol:

I do want to learn about that set-up though...
I'm totally bummed about my car... this thing won't
even sixty foot in the 1.5's on a slick... :mad:
I got almost the same hp and tq as a broke F/S racer
now-a-days but alot better suspension... they are
hooking 1.58-1.60's on Drag Radials!

I'm struggling to go 1.65..... :o

I've read through the manual twice now, and its really starting to make sense. I need to have the CalEdit program on my computer to fully understand everything, but I do understand the principles.