PDA

View Full Version : 98 cobra intake porting

7721Cobra
11-12-2007, 03:50 AM
Has anyone ported a 98 cobra intake manifold? I have not been able to find much information about the best procedure. What I did find was talking about shorting the runners, about a 1 1/2 and welding the air horns back on. The engine is stock and will be so for a while, any help on this?
Thanks

na svt
11-13-2007, 08:46 PM
http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/ssrdohc.html

I've made a few short runners and JIMS SVT made many.

What would you like to know?

7721Cobra
11-14-2007, 04:50 AM
That is some great information, thank you for that. When you shorten the runners, it looks like you cut them at the same height of the lower manifold. Such as if the runner would be installed, on the side that gets epoxied into the lower intake....the cut section should be relatively in line with the top of the boss that the runner goes into?....If that question makes sense. Did you do the IMRC deletes on a N/A engine? I read that if you were to do so it effected low end torque, and they only did that on blown/turbo engines. Why do you fill the plenum cover with epoxy, and did you do that? And did you use the west systems epoxy? Sorry to have so many questions.

na svt
11-14-2007, 11:06 AM
I remove anywhere from 1" to 2" inches; a 2" cut has the runner opening at roughly the same level as the runner exit. The amount I remove from the runners depends on the engine mods, gears and intended use.

IMRC deletes on an n/a motor that has been tuned will not see any low end losses.

I have reduced the plenum volume but not by using filling the lid. I block off the lower plenum by welding in an aluminum plate. This helps with throttle response and does not hurt power like filling the lid with epoxy.

I use west systems epoxy, the same stuff that is on the SSR website.

7721Cobra
11-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Ok, My engine like I said is mostly stock now, I have a jlt intake, and under drive pulleys. I am installing 30lb injectors, and would like to do long tube headers this winter. I might do some work to a set of heads if I can get some. Would you do the same aprox 2" cut for my set up?

And when you weld the plate in the bottom of the manifold, at what dept do you put it?

And one more thing if I do the deletes, I assume you don't have the servo on there. So does the servo not being plugged in, cause a check engine light?

na svt
11-14-2007, 02:40 PM
A 1.5" from all the runners or 1.5" from every other runner inteh firing order would be best.
If the runners are cut 1.5" I have the plate welded 1.5" above the plenum floor.
Remove and discard the IMRC controller if you do deltes. The IMRCs will be shut off when you get a tune.

7721Cobra
11-14-2007, 03:23 PM
I really appreciate the help. I might send you a pm if I run into any problems in the future, if you don't mind. Thanks again for the info!
:bigthumb