PDA

View Full Version : My Winter Build-Up

5.0calypso93lx
11-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Figured I'd go ahead and start a winter build-up thread now that I have a decent size pile of parts. After moving the car to a new garage this weekend, I'm really looking forward to start tearing into this thing, and learn a couple things this winter.

I'll start off with the planned setup:

-Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads
-Holley Systemax Manifold
-Ed Curtis custom cam
-Fox Lake/Harland Sharp TW specific 1.6 rockers
-Accufab 75mm Race TB
-Lightning or SCT Big Air Mass air meter
-Anderson Ford 4" Power Pipe
-TwEECer
-00' Cobra R Spec T-56 6 Speed transmission w/ Steeda Tri Ax
-Mcleod SFI bellhousing and Midplate
-Fidanza Billet Aluminum flywheel
-Centerforce DF Clutch
-MC-Machine Gauge/Dash Plate
-Autometer Lunar Gauges
-Trick Flow double roller billet timing chain

I've gotten most of the big $$ items out of the way, so hopefully it won't be too hard on the wallet from here on out.

Here is what I have so far:

TFS Heads, and AFM power pipe, thanks gearhead, cleaned up great!

http://img2.putfile.com/main/11/31518131021.jpg

T-56 transmssion with 2.97 first gear and 31 spline output:

http://img2.putfile.com/main/9/25217201956.jpg

I'm going to take the heads up to BES friday to get them cleaned up, and see about the small nicks in the bottom of one of the heads:

http://img2.putfile.com/main/11/31518131528.jpg

I've got the engine down to the longblock right now, and will be pulling it soon, probably in two weeks. Once I get the heads back, I can fill out the cam sheet for Ed and have him grind the cam. I think I've finally figured out how to degree a cam, so I'll be giving that a shot. Then I will be checking piston to valve clearance and then installing the heads. I'll check pushrod length then, and hopefully get everything back together, and start tuning on the TwEECer.

I'll be updating this thread time to time, and asking questions I'm sure! Goals are 310rwhp and a low 12 with 110 traps and two cars on Mike, haha j/k:bigthumb

stangman_5
11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Looks like some fun work ahead of you. I have LOVED this car since you finished it now you can make it even better. looking forward to keeping up with your build. :bigthumb

PonymanfiveO
11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
wow, got sime nice parts there guy!

take lots of pics and update us often!

BES should have no problem milling them nicks out. ;)

5.0calypso93lx
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
wow, got sime nice parts there guy!

take lots of pics and update us often!

BES should have no problem milling them nicks out. ;)

I'm really hoping they don't have to mill the heads, because the TW's already don't allow you to run as big of a cam because of the different location of the valves.

I will definately keep the thread up to date!

Thanks guys!

5.0calypso93lx
11-12-2007, 10:09 PM
First question:

The part number on the "R" head, says SN13625-3E, right above the exhaust ports, and right under where the valve cover would sit.

The part number on the "L" head, is SN12508-3E in the same spot.

I don't see those part numbers anywhere on Trick Flows website???

NXcoupe
11-19-2007, 11:11 PM
First question:

The part number on the "R" head, says SN13625-3E, right above the exhaust ports, and right under where the valve cover would sit.

The part number on the "L" head, is SN12508-3E in the same spot.

I don't see those part numbers anywhere on Trick Flows website???

those are the serial numbers. With those TF can tell you when they were built and so forth.
Glad to hear you are getting started on this. I absolutely love my T56, if it was a woman, I'd marry it. Those nicks on the head shouldn't be a problem at all. Keep updating with pics and such.

5.0calypso93lx
11-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Dropped the heads off at BES today. Tony was a really nice guy! Come to find out, the springs have already been upgraded as well!!! So the heads are being pressure tested to make sure the vavles don't leak, and they are being bead blasted to get all the old paint off.

Anyone know how long it usually takes them to do something like this? I'm not in a hurry, but I this is also the next part that is going on the engine.

Engine is being removed this friday and being taken down to the shortblock. As soon as I get the heads back I can tell Ed what cam to grind me, and I can start putting this thing back together!

5.0calypso93lx
01-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Figured I'd update this. Got the engine torn all the way down today, and did a light cleaning of the pistons. I was worried about why coolant came pouring out while draining the oil yesterday, but it must have just been me being clumsy and spilling coolant in the valley when I was trying to take off that upper radiator hose. The head gaskets looked perfect. I did find out that I have speed pro hyperjunk pistons though... Once I get a balancer, it should be time to put the TFS Stage 1 cam in. Did have a question though.

Do you guys think I would be ok running 1.7 rockers with the stage 1 cam, since I have pretty large notches in the pistons already? I think that would bump the cams lift up to .529/.540, which is cutting it pretty close on the exhaust valves.

http://img2.putfile.com/main/1/2016190247.jpg

Also, another big problem I have is that I cannot get any dipstick to go down through the dipstick hole. I thought that maybe someone had broken a stocker off down in the hole, but there is nothing in there. I tried this FRPP dipstick and a factory one, and neither will go through.

http://img2.putfile.com/main/1/2016190152.jpg

http://img2.putfile.com/main/1/2016190171.jpg

Its like the hole just isn't big enough. Would it be safe for me to grind the hole out a bit more?

93hulk
01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Im sure your piston to valve cearance will be just fine. As far as the dip stick hole I would take a small rats tale file and clean up the hole a little bit at time untill the dipstick seats all the way.

5.0calypso93lx
01-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Im sure your piston to valve cearance will be just fine. As far as the dip stick hole I would take a small rats tale file and clean up the hole a little bit at time untill the dipstick seats all the way.

Even with some big valves, like 2.02/1.60's? It looks like they are cut for an inline valved head, would the twisted valves like on the twisted wedges be ok?

Makes me sick to see how much I've sold off.

93hulk
01-21-2008, 07:54 PM
You can run up to 542 lift with a T/W heads on stock pistons. Im sure you will be fine but if your not sure clay them its not that hard.